Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why I am racing in Kona.... By Steve Larsen
Quote | Reply

Why I am racing in Kona....by Steve Larsen

When I was a kid growing up in Davis, California Dave Scott was my idol and I always dreamed of competing in the Hawaii Ironman. I could not have imagined the circuitous route I would follow to finally arrive at the start in October of 2001. Like many of the athletes that competed that day, my race did not go as it had in my dreams. After giving all that I had to fulfill my personal expectations of how “my race” should end, I found myself in a nearly apocalyptic state for the 24 hours post race. Losing blood and bodily fluids, agonizing in the fetal position on my hotel bed, while my kids were playing poolside and enjoying Hawaii, was not what I had planned for our first trip to Kona. The next year I could not start due to injury, and in 2003 I made the decision that I would give everything to be ready to race at my best and see where that left me amongst the tremendous competition at our sport’s World Championship. I did not win. I did not even finish.

Shortly after that 2003 Ironman I made the decision to retire from professional sports. Fortunately I made a living in sports that I loved and was passionate about for over fifteen years. It was more important to me to retire when I still had a passion for those sports. I plan to enjoy them for a lifetime. I am still passionate about them.

When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the people and their generous spirit that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously healthy. I fed off of that positive energy. To me it is what the sport is all about.

This year I turned thirty-five, Dave Scott is still my idol, and I still have a dream to compete in Kona. This year however, my dream ends differently, with me arriving at the finish on Alii Drive with a smile on my face and the joy of running down the finish chute with my three children. I am not worried about my finish time, although I will certainly give all I can on the day, and will embrace the spirit of the event that I was unable to appreciate the first times around. I am not embarrassed by this dream or how I earned the opportunity to make it real.

The realities of my life are different from 2003 and I am grateful for that. I have worked hard in the last eighteen months to establish myself in a new career which I love. It has been wonderful to learn to snowboard with my kids, coach soccer, and time at swim meets, start a junior cycling team, visit the pub, mow the lawn, and generally be a normal guy. The fact that I have managed to stay reasonably fit (finally not over trained) has been a bonus. I believe it speaks volumes about the lifestyle I hope to maintain for a lifetime, and it is what keeps me sane. But there is a healthy balance now and of late I have been rewarded with some good results. My recent performance in the Vineman Half Ironman was as much a surprise to me as anyone. I had previously made the commitment to speak pre race with Greg Welch, and decided to compete in one of the events that originally got me hooked on the sport. As race day grew closer my hope was that I might go 4:15 and be fortunate enough to qualify to compete again in Kona. On the day I had good legs and thankfully knew what to do with them. It was an honor to win the Vineman again, and qualify for our sports World Championship. My hope is that I might use my participation in Kona to bring awareness and raise money for a worthy cause, the Challenged Athletes Foundation. These athletes are legendary and embody all that is good about our sport. I hope in some small way my contribution may create an opportunity for some of them to grow as athletes and people.

For those of you that question my motives, I am sorry there are none. In the end, I am a Triathlete just like you.

Ride Fast & Have Fun,

Steve Larsen

Additional notes for those that are interested:

I am happily married (12 years) and have three wonderfully healthy children.

I am a full time commercial real estate broker.

Most weeks I am fortunate to train more than six hours. I make them all count and have many years of hard work to call on.

I was paid by Scott USA to consult on the design and marketing of their new triathlon bike the Plasma. They do not pay me to race. They do not pay me bonuses. They do not pay my entries. I believe I have helped them design a better bike. There was never an expectation that I would race again. I do it because I love it. Part of Scott’s commitment to me was in the form of ten road bikes for my recently created Forza Velo Junior Cycling Team. One of our athletes won two national titles on a bike provided by Scott. I don’t make a penny from the team, but have spent many hours working to ensure its success.

I am fortunate that many of my friends in the industry continue to send me product to use or try. It does not make me a pro, but confirms the value of building personal relationships over a very long career. I rarely call and ask for it, but am always grateful when it comes. Thanks.

I will challenge any sponsor that provides me product for Kona to make a monetary contribution to CAF. I hope to raise money through pledges for any pro that I am able to catch on October 15th, 2005. I hope the legs are good!

Steve Larsen - dad, triathlete, mtbiker, roadie & online retailer
http://www.worldtri.com
Promo Code ST15 and take 15% off all orders.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I am racing in Kona.... By Steve Larsen [Steve Larsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dare I say... BOOYAKASHA!

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you and good luck.

Quote | Reply
More power to you Steve, have a great race and enjoy yourself!!

bk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Steve, nice note. Good luck!

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Last edited by: infinIT 1: Aug 16, 05 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. Good racing in Kona.

Frank

PS: Don't expect the critcism to end on ST. People here just love to bitch and moan and carp and complain and, essentially. eat their own and bite the hand that feeds them. Too much free time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't believe you need to explain yourself to anyone, thank you for posting your message. I wish you well at Kona and I hope you meet all of your goals, especially finishing with your kids.

I used to get jealous over all of the really fast age groupers, now I just try to improve my own performance.

I'm just pissed that you can do so well on less than 6 hours weekly training!

Go fast, make your kids proud.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BRAVO Thanks for sharing. Good luck in Kona and have a blast.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, i'm coached by one of your ex Motorolla teamates-Brian Walton. He was impressed with your results, and said that it's true, with all the bike fitness you guys develop over the years, you can ride fast with a very small amount of training, as long as it's all 'quality' training.(lucky bastards!)

He and I both wish you luck in Hawaii and are excited to monitor your progress....the men have 15 minutes on you...I would think a cyclist would enjoy that chase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You took the high road, and that's very admirable.

I've always been a fan. Good luck. Go fast. Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assumptions run rampant on ST - good luck! I'll be watching (on TV).

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, Sir, you have my utmost respect. Welcome to the lifestyle of being an age grouper...mowing the lawn, coaching soccer, going to work and cramming in training. Many of us know that you will represent all of us age grouper like the true sportsman, dad and husband that you are.

Good luck, kick ass and most importantly run down that finish chute with that smile on your face.

Dave Scott might be your idol, but many of use look up to you !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
steve I was there in 01 when you won lake placid. I was so excited for you. I am also very excited to get to start this race in kona with you. we will have fun, I can't wait for the experience. Good luck and keep it up! 9 1/2 weeks to go :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto the sentiment on your not needing to explain yourself, but it's cool that you did. I'll be rooting for you in October---best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a cyclist, I was SO excited when you won IMLP (and Widoff seemed snotty about it pre-race). That was clasic, I love telling the story of you coming out behind (swim) and blowing the doors off on the bike...that just rocked. Good luck in Kona, you do deserve it (then again, so did some other AG'er who does not have years and years of pro training under his belt).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock On Steve. Sorry you felt that you needed to answer to a handful of idiots. There are those here who cannot help but critique whatever they see, probably because of their own insecurities and inadequacies. You have nothing to prove to anyone other than yourself. Enjoy your race and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve:

Thank you for the explanation although I'm sure you know it was not necessary to answer the kind of criticism you received here; sports at any level are bound to bring out the best and worst in folks and unfortunately, sour grapes are an all too common post race snack for lots of athletes.

It was said before, that the transition from pro athlete to AG elite is a difficult one and I think you are a perfect example. Because in our sport there is no "recently retired but still super fit" division, you are or you aren't a professional and the rest is just racing. You are not expected to wait until you put on 30 pounds of fat and have 12 months on the sofa before you "turn AG". That's ludicrous on its face.

Thanks for continuing to entertain and motivate. Folks should also know you are active in supporting the cycling/tri scene in your own community, Bend (one of my best friends and his wife are elite road/cyclocross racers there and I know appreciate your development efforts) and that you are very giving of your advice and encouragement.

Thanks again and all the best for Kona.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Last edited by: tim-mech: Aug 16, 05 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck in Kona, hope I can steal an autograph from you there...for my kids of course...:-))

www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a great time in Kona!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Why I am racing in Kona.... By Steve Larsen [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job Steve!
Good luck and don't think you owe anyone anything...just do your own gig and enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classy note, Steve. Good luck in Kona, hope to see you there.

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, I will be rooting for you. Enjoy the finish line with your kids.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post. I hope you have a great race.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck in Kona! I met and talked w/ you in '03 with Luc Van Lierde and Lisa Bentley (forget that race). I hope you have a great day. I'll pray for some serious winds to make the bike leg tougher to aid the "cyclists"

Prev Next