Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who works in the indusTRI or related and...
Quote | Reply
how did you get in? Thinking of "perfect world" career changes.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Who works in the indusTRI or related and... [jima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Thinking of "perfect world" career changes."

Be careful about that. I've know scuba fanatics that have quit their day jobs and openned up scuba related businesses only to find that they get so busy they don't have as much time to dive any more. Or when they do it's for teaching students, etc. and not for themselves. One of the co-owners at the LBS is now trying to sell his stake in the business. He's an ex roadie/racer but since getting involved in the business complains that he doesn't have the time to get out and ride as much. I know what you mean though. Several years ago I almost canned being a chiropractor to move to the Caribbean to become involved with a dive shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Who works in the indusTRI or related and... [jima] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently quit my job to open a running store. Grand opening is in 2-3 weeks. From what I've done so far I do know this:

1)It takes capital to start a business, and getting capital is difficult if you don't have the money yourself. You basically end up working for the people who gave you the money -- bank, investors, whatever.

2)It takes a serious commitment to customer service to survive in retail. If you don't have that in your blood, don't even try it.

3)Don't plan on getting rich in the biz. Yes, some people do very well, but they're the exception. And in a lot of cases they're doing well because they were in the right place at the right time -- although they deserve credit for stepping up and taking advantage.

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Who works in the indusTRI or related and... [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lee's comments are right on the money. At one time or another I've lost everything because I am in the bike business. And other than being pissed at people who lied to me about it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you are willing to loose everything to chase yur dream and still never give up, not only will you be successful, you probably will do a fine job and also make a fair living. But it takes a level of work and dedication I have only seen in the military.

If you are willing to stay up late at night worrying about your customers, their bikes, if their equipment is going to work correctly even when you aren't making any money and you are willing to forego a lot of "luxuries" (like health insurance) then this is for you. If not, keep your day job.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who works in the indusTRI or related and... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said Tom. As the former owner of Steve's Multisport, I chose to move on and make a better living, improve my health, and start enjoying cycling again. It's ashame that the dollars aren't quite what they used to be when I started 15 years ago. Back then you could make 6 figures, not work 7 days a week and actually make a nice lifestyle. I guess as in every business, you have to determine how little you are willing to work.
Quote Reply