Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit confused, using the math outlined Dimond checks in at 16 (2017 x 15% and subtract from 2018). That metric would place it just behind Ventum and Giant and above Ceepo, Cannondale and Specialized.

I don't see a lot in the article explaining anything more than a math equation so why keep the brand off this list?

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming he left it off on purpose mostly because he wanted to show where "big brands" Cannondale and Specialized fit in. If he was going to include all the brands in his calculation he would also had had to include Cube (ahead of Dimond), Wilier (ahead of Cervelo), and Merida and Stevens (both ahead of Cannondale)...
Quote Reply
Re: Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense, but there is little substance in the article which details or expands that thought (and I'd honestly like to read that). Ventum was/is included and been splashed all over IM race coverage for a year with what many may view as a small showing. Other brands, some of which you mention below, a huge number of people have never even heard of (good or bad) present a decent uptick. Dimond nice uptick. Canyon, etc etc...

The math is the math, and Dan pulled the brands he did, but skimped on meat in the article on insights he could bring or the broader story these numbers illustrate or as to why he left off those he did. I'd think that someone with his industry knowledge would be well placed to provide that information (or educated opinion). Maybe the article is a prelude to a broader story.

Quote Reply
Re: Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well here's the bike count via Triathlete Mag: https://www.triathlete.com/...ut-gap-closes_336239

Dimond 43, Cube 29, Orbea 27, Wilier 18.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 16, 18 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Wilier (ahead of Cervelo)

What?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
That makes sense, but there is little substance in the article which details or expands that thought (and I'd honestly like to read that). Ventum was/is included and been splashed all over IM race coverage for a year with what many may view as a small showing. Other brands, some of which you mention below, a huge number of people have never even heard of (good or bad) present a decent uptick. Dimond nice uptick. Canyon, etc etc...

The math is the math, and Dan pulled the brands he did, but skimped on meat in the article on insights he could bring or the broader story these numbers illustrate or as to why he left off those he did. I'd think that someone with his industry knowledge would be well placed to provide that information (or educated opinion). Maybe the article is a prelude to a broader story.

it's an analysis of the velocity, rather than the legacy, of the major brands in kona.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you read Dan's article, he's calculating a "net" increase for each brand based on his assumption of a 15% attrition rate from last year and then comparing to this year's number. In terms of sheer numbers, Cervelo won the count on the pier.
Quote Reply
Re: Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, but the question remains why still leave out that brand? Dimond's velocity, as by your equation, would place it on the list. The analysis only includes 2017 & 2018 (though you allude to a longer history) which I'm sure you have. If you're charting a longer progression and choose to leave brands off for mathematical reasons then you need to include that data back up in the story. If you're leaving brands off for 'other' reasons then you need to explain those as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
Ok, but the question remains why still leave out that brand? Dimond's velocity, as by your equation, would place it on the list. The analysis only includes 2017 & 2018 (though you allude to a longer history) which I'm sure you have. If you're charting a longer progression and choose to leave brands off for mathematical reasons then you need to include that data back up in the story. If you're leaving brands off for 'other' reasons then you need to explain those as well.

i didn't intentionally omit any brand. i took the top 13 or brands and attached my analysis. i kicked out argon 18 from that result because they didn't make the next cut, which was to the top dozen. no omission was intentional. i probably should have kicked out ventum as well, because there was a big drop off from ceepo and cannondale. lots of editorial to get up onto the site. lots more to go. sue me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy, not going to suing anyone. Thanks for explaining a bit more of establishing a 'top 13' (which is what everyone always does when doing a 'top xx') and the subsequent elimination process. It is helpful to understand when looking at the information being presented. You note some that brands are left out as they 'weren't factors in the chart below'. The data indicates otherwise.

If the study is for 'best net gain 2017-2018' (and you kicked Argon in this sense) then you need to run the data set properly across all brands and then create the top 10... 12... 13... whatever.... Not run the data off of the top by gross number and then ignore anything that wasn't already on that list.

Also:
''Who “won” the Kona survey this year, in 2018? If the metric is “net” increases? One could fault my methodology and I invite critiques.''

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
Easy, not going to suing anyone. Thanks for explaining a bit more of establishing a 'top 13' (which is what everyone always does when doing a 'top xx') and the subsequent elimination process. It is helpful to understand when looking at the information being presented. You note some that brands are left out as they 'weren't factors in the chart below'. The data indicates otherwise.

If the study is for 'best net gain 2017-2018' (and you kicked Argon in this sense) then you need to run the data set properly across all brands and then create the top 10... 12... 13... whatever.... Not run the data off of the top by gross number and then ignore anything that wasn't already on that list.

Also:
''Who “won” the Kona survey this year, in 2018? If the metric is “net” increases? One could fault my methodology and I invite critiques.''

i love critiques. stalking? not so much. but your point is taken. bare you volunteering? because i love volunteers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you arrive at stalking. I see honest questions to an article posted on the main page and subsequent discussion on a critique of the methodology.

Yes, I'll happily volunteer. You'll find me on the pier next year, racing, with my Dimond. Seriously, I enjoy this forum, and have used it as a resource in my training and racing. I'd happily give back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how accurate the count is anyway I rode an TriRig Omni was not even in the count
Quote Reply
Re: Who won Kona Bike count article? Missing Dimond [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhudson wrote:
Not sure how accurate the count is anyway I rode an TriRig Omni was not even in the count

For some reason I had this image of you stopping during bike check in for folks to inspect your bike for the count. Boy was I wrong. Everyone is on the other side of the fence trying to figure out what you are running as you walk by at your own pace. I’d say the error on the count is ~5-10%.

blog
Quote Reply