Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who is still riding a Softride?
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see some pics. I had an original Zipp with the Allsop beam briefly, then I got a deal on a Softride. I so wish I'd never sold either.

Please feel free to show me your super duper beam bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Always looking for an excuse to post a picture of my Zipp... now with a period correct Zipp400.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got three, two of which I ride on a consistent basis (and one I'll be riding in RAMROD next Thursday). I had one of the beam bolts break and fly across the room last week (while the bike was just sitting -- scary). I need to find a line on replacements, as I had to take the one off my track bike to get it back on the road...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This friend and local AG guy has been riding this oldie for a long time. He tried a Felt B-series in one of the local sprints this year, but didn't like it enough to give up the Softride.

http://brianfancher.photoshelter.com/...nrY/I0000rTxFUAuSl64
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I won the lottery I would re-open Softride. That has been on my "if I had the money" list for years. I would also like to gear their bikes towards Clydes. Mostly because I am one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My road bike is a softride solo that I bought as new old stock in 08ish.

My tri bike is a titanflex, love them both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 3 of them (Mountain Bike - Contour and Husky), they are still the best bikes that I have ever owned. One of them, unfortunately, has become a parts bike. for the other two.

I saw another one (Softride IT) on craigslist (vancouver bc) another for sale, that I will try and buy.

The best thing about them is the "easier on the back" part, for the constant small bumps and they also did have a quick turning radius.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [StarFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a Rocket Wing locally I would love to grab, but dude is out of his mind. $1,500 and it's built up with Sora. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Legit question, I always see the Softride (or similar beam-bike threads) and I know that there are some distinct advantages to a beam design, like aerodynamics, and I'm presuming weight?

But almost all former Softride owners all seem to have such a devout passion for their former bikes, what is it specifically that you loved so much about them? Are they that much more comfortable?
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are pretty heavy bikes, but you don't seem to notice the weight when you ride them. They are very aero. I had one that I bought around 2000 and wish I still had it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was all back b/f the power meter, but to this day I still say nothing was 'slipperier' than my Softride with a Zipp 1150/TriSpoke. Thing was a blast. Comfy too although that isn't why I'd get another one now, ultra distance holds zero attraction to me at this stage in my career. I ride alum now and I honestly cannot tell one iota of difference b/t this or my last carbon frames. 3 hours max is as long as I ride though.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Jul 19, 12 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a blue Rocket '04. Is without a doubt the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. In fact, number 2 isnt even close. Compared to other bikes it is like riding in a Cadillac vs a subcompact vehicle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's definitely not as light as my parlee TT but i have an elite aria with a softride beam. i call it "the couch" because it's SOOO comfy. i need to ride it more though. i stuck it on the trainer last winter and it's still there.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Last edited by: Tribato: Jul 19, 12 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [kdlsch111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys,

Just replying to this thread, but maybe I should put a "wanted to buy". I raced on a Softride solo back in 95/96....fastest bike splits I ever put down and fastest descending bike in my life.

Fast forward 16 years, I have some major head and neck issues from an accident and everytime i go over a crack in the pavement it's like someone is hitting my head with a sledgehammer.

If anyone has a small or even medium softride frame, I want to buy it and set it up as a road bike for my daily bike commuting.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck if I can find a Rocket TT in a large I'm down too. I would love to rip on another Softy b/f they become extinct. I'd take pretty much any of the alum Softrides with the Rocket style beam....didn't care for the Allsop so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had one that she won as a door prize. We had it set up as a road bike since she already had a P2K. She hardly ever rode it though. When my nephew joined his school's cycling club we set him up on it. He loves it since it is by far the coolest bike in the club.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still got one of the oringal IRONMAN bikes in red and yellow, thinking about bringing it back out again, hanging on the wall now
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For replacement pivot bolts try contacting Co-Motion bikes. They used softride beams on their tandems for many years. I read on another source recently a post where they stated that Co-Motion currently had a supply of softride parts. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This picture is mandatory on this thread:

Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [TooSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TooSlow wrote:
For replacement pivot bolts try contacting Co-Motion bikes. They used softride beams on their tandems for many years. I read on another source recently a post where they stated that Co-Motion currently had a supply of softride parts. Hope this helps.

Thanks TS! I'll get in touch with them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Legit question, I always see the Softride (or similar beam-bike threads) and I know that there are some distinct advantages to a beam design, like aerodynamics, and I'm presuming weight?

But almost all former Softride owners all seem to have such a devout passion for their former bikes, what is it specifically that you loved so much about them? Are they that much more comfortable?

I have the solo-style on all of mine (similar to the one posted above by Tribato). The lower frame, due to the smaller triangles, is quite stiff, which lends itself very well to power transfer. The beam does a wonderful job of isolating the rider from not only the larger hits, but also just the general road buzz (especially if you ride a lot of chip-sealed roads). That isolation is a key element in staving off fatigue.

Weight isn't an advantage -- a Softride of the same size would actually be heavier. I've heard a lot of people say that Softrides don't climb well. I'd have to qualify that to say that some people can't climb well on Softrides -- I've got a few USCF Hillclimb TT titles that say they climb just fine.

Last edited by: brider: Jul 19, 12 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 90s are over.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R and A cycles has a few frames in their closeout section
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When thinking about weight, I suppose I was thinking about what a modern interpretation of a Softride would weigh, I could see it potentially weighing less since part of the bike appears to be "missing", but I can also very easily see why that isn't the case, since other parts of the bike simply have to be far beefier to compensate for the added stresses.

I'll take your guys word for it, it's not that they don't look comfy to me, it's that I've always envisioned them being somewhat "bouncy", that vertical compliance just makes me think that the power transfer would be reduced. However, I've always been led to believe (through admitted gimmicky marketing) that it's lateral compliance where you lose power... but none of this is really my area of expertise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:

You think I am crazy for Campy? I wish I would have never given away my RocketTT7, but I am glad I did (it was for a good cause).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply

Prev Next