Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who actually likes the winter?
Quote | Reply
And I'm not talking about those folks in Fla, Hawaii, etc. who have only one real season year round.

Personally, I like the changes that each season brings. My only frustration is that where I live (southwestern VA), we dont get enough snow to do any real XC skiing, or snowshoeing throughout the whole winter. We seem to get just enough snow to make it interesting on a MTB, but awesome and fun for trail running. However, there is nothing like a moonlit run at night in the snow. It's heavenly.

I would definetly get bored with just having sunshine and mild temps year round.
Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [dirtrunr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We get seasons in florida, but the proportions are different.

9-10 months of summer

2-6 weeks of fall

3-10 days of winter

2-6 weeks of spring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I love winter as long as I live someplace where it is functional. By that I mean living in NC there is no functionality to winter, no snow only a little ice occasionally. But when I lived in CO I loved it, skied 120 days that year; I would love to go back, may try to get back in the next few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in MA and I really like the winter. I get to ski, ice climb and snowshoe, as well as play pond hockey. You actually have to go outside to enjoy it though. Too many people are content to stay inside and bitch about how cold out it is.

Go Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I LOVE the winter!!!! I grew up in FL and have been in KS for 9 years - I think winter is still sort of a novelty to me. I love the challenge of training in the winter - bundling up to go for a run when its bitterly cold out is good for the mind me thinks. And I love coming home and hopping in a nice hot shower and putting on warm fleecy clothes and drinking coffee. My only gripe about our winters is that we don't get enough snow to do any winter-type sports. Its ok, running is enough. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I HATE winter. With a passion.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the winter... I just don't like the cold and the rain... snow is a word that it's not in my dictionary.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [jendz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in Kansas? I'm from Emporia, so been there, done that with winter. Like SAC says, snow isn't in my vocabulary.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate it! I live in Houston and found myself on the treadmill this week instead of outside because temps were in the 30s. Bring on summer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't hate winter, although I do not love it either. I got a nice 50 miler in today, and I didn't even have to finish my first water bottle. I sweat tons, and it was nice to have a built-in A/C unit (the environment at 30ish degrees).
Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I lived in Olathe for a year and I've been in Lawrence for 7 or 8. Never been to Emporia tho ... am I missing anything? ;)

We actually got like seven inches of snow this week! Crazy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like rain.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [jendz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I lived in Olathe for a year and I've been in Lawrence for 7 or 8. Never been to Emporia tho ... am I missing anything? ;)

We actually got like seven inches of snow this week! Crazy!!![/reply]

Hmm, no, not missing anything. ;-)
Lots of wheat and soy bean fields and Iowa Beef (the smell of money).

Dad said the snow is melting today. Hopefully gone by 22 December when I arrive!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now I love winter. Days in the 60's and I get to ride everyday outside. Once I move to Sedona AZ, in January, I'll love winter for a different reason. I'll get to take up snow skiing again. Years ago I was on the National Ski Patrol and was paid to ski 14 hours a day!!! : ) Snowbowl is only 1 hour from Sedona!!! YEAH!!! I'll buy a season pass and ski until I drop!!! I'll also have an outdoor heated pool with an Endless Pool system in it......Ski all day.....swim in the evening.....retire to the jaccuzzi!!! God...I love winter!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats me . I just came inside. I bin out most of the day. We have 4 inches of fresh snow. It is so nice and cleen white. Me and the kids have bin sleding and fooling around. My driveway is 700 ft long so lots to plow.

Dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love/hate relationship going with winter. Love x-country/downhill skiing, the freshness in the winter air and the scenic beauty on the nature trails after a fresh snow fall. Hate driving in snowstorms and shovelling the driveway.
Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course you do. We're totally split, opposing personalities! ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take winter if it's like this weekend! 10ºC for most of today and I rode outside with shorts/jersey and arm/knee warmers... last week it was -20ºC. I actually quite like winter but I don't like spring or fall. Fall and spring tend to be drab and depressing. Winter has skiing, snowboarding and bright sunny days. I try to run most days at noon at get some sunshine because it's dark when I get to work and dark when I leave work.

Road biking today in Calgary:

Quote Reply
Re: Who actually likes the winter? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yeah I forgot... ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to.

Now, the cold seems to only enhance or bring about nagging injuries/soreness.

As a parent of two young kids, the winter means it takes 20 minutes to get everyone ready to go somewhere (anywhere). It's no longer "get your shoes on, we're heading out". Now, it's gloves, hat, coat, to get to te car, everything off in the car, everything back on to get out of the car, everything off once inside, everything back on to go back out, everything off once inside the car, everything back on to go inside, everything back off again.

I don't mind running in the cold, but, this year, my calves do in a big way. It's become quite a problem for me. It's so much easier to just throw on a pair of shorts (shirt optional) and a drink and head out for a run (especially at 4AM).

I would definetly get bored with just having sunshine and mild temps year round.

I used to say this, but now I'm ready to put that hypothesis to a test. Getting bored playing outside year 'round? (training and playing w/ the kids) I'm ready for that experiment.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it snowed, I'd love it. But since it doesn't snow here, it is the suck.

I used to love living in Tahoe. We'd get 4' of snow and the kids would still have to go to school. :) [And I'd go snowboarding]

*sigh*

We've got a decent enough hill behind me on our golfcourse, if it would just SNOW! (First year we were here it snowed about 3inches and I had a blast)

Also, since I've lost 60lbs of weight, I now get much colder easier.

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest thing I don't like is the lack of sunlight. I'm big on natural light and always have the blinds/curtains open. I like to get up early to train, so in the summer that means I'm on the road at 5:30 and I like when it is light out.

That being said, winter isn't all that bad. Running in the snow is fun. I like to go skiing once a year. By the time it's March and still snowing and crappy, though, I'll be sick of it (Indiana weather is the best).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like winter as well. Definitely clears the mind, air and the weaklings who move south (a lot of my family is in Florida). I like the variety of outdoor activities it brings. Went sledding the other day with my kids who LOVE it. Was just at the beach last month (at IMFL) and they love that too. In a few months, spring is awesome with blossums, new animals and colors. Summer is the same all over. Fall is just as beautiful with colors and so on. I hate Christmas without snow. Really hate spending the occasional one in FL - odd to singing Christmas Carols there as none of them fit (i.e. I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, Frosty, Jingle Bells, Let is snow, etc. etc.) Christmas lights just look plain stupid in palm trees.

There is a reason most developed nations that write the history books are in temperate climates and most third world countries have little to no winter :) Now, when I'm 80, I may consider moving south, waiting to die like the rest ... but not right now ...

Quote | Reply
HATE IT!!!

I've rolled my ankles 4 times, (twice on each side, at least I'm keeping it balanced), on snow covered drop offs in the road.

And the Big Wigs in charge of plowing have decided not to plow this one road, which effectively eliminates my 4 & 5 mile loops until the stuff melts.

CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE TO SOCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love winter if it snowed around here. Snow sports are just too much fun. Here in Texas all we get is cold with some ice, not fun.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next