Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who Still Makes a Track Bike?
Quote | Reply
What brands still make a decent (ie: raceable) track bike or frame? Thinking of the Fuji Elite (Alu) or Felt TK2 for reference.

Yeah, yeah, track is dead. But I'm getting the itch...
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [Slowerthanyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Argon 18 Electron Pro comes to mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo T4?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMC Trackmachine AL

Trackie

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you bring up Felt, they did just announce their updated TK-FRD. Nice looking frame. But at $5500 for the frameset, I'm not going to be upgrading from my TK1-FRD anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikes I often see at Major Taylor Velodrome in Indianapolis - Trek, Dolan, Specialized, Fuji, Felt, Cannondale, Look, Cervelo and several customs...

What sort and level of racing are you hoping to do? Mass start, sprint or pursuits? 250 meter indoor track or a longer outdoor track? I think you have to be very fast before bike selection matters at all. Wheels, tires, bars and likely matter much more than what frame you are using.

Don't overlook eBay and Craigslist for used bikes. My garage currently has a Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale CAAD5, and a repurposed Cervelo P3SL all from eBay. I like the idea of using an aluminum P3 or P2 on the track - not just for pursuits but for mass start races as well.

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of the Chinese carbon frames at my track, this one in particular

https://www.ebay.com/...ebffd99cbf%7Ciid%3A1

I have one and really like it.

Along with that, there are a lot of CSC wheels as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidK wrote:
...My garage currently has a Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale CAAD5, and a repurposed Cervelo P3SL all from eBay. I like the idea of using an aluminum P3 or P2 on the track - not just for pursuits but for mass start races as well.

David K

The Dolan would be fine but my track won't allow road bike frames. With 50° of banking there's a high chance of hitting a pedal on the track in the turns.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What track you plan to ride makes a big difference in bike selection. Also might effect crank arm length and even pedal selection.
I think our Cannondale would be accepted at a steep track - its a Cannondale CAAD5 Track bike - the ones that look like they've been painted with ketchup and mustard.
Funny, the Cervelo P3SL has the same geometry as Cervelo's first track bike which would probably be approved for 250 steep track use.
Last edited by: DavidK: Jan 20, 21 4:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drool over the Koga Kinsei and formerly the Koga Kimera.

These are great too. (formerly Dixie Flyer, now Velo Flyer)
http://veloflyerbicycles.com/

Wife has Cervelo T4 which are still pretty easy to find, I think.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected, the CAAD 5 and P3SL would be accepted. I ride on a steep banked 166.6M track
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure I would ride any bike on such a steep track! Where is your track? What bikes do they have in the rental fleet?

Sorry for the thread hijack but I think grass track racing would be a blast.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their stock on the popular sizes is often out, but PlanetX still makes one. It's very popular in the UK. Also they sell another brand I haven't heard of that's usually in stock.

From the British TT forums, the Dolan appears to be "the bike" to go with for budget and track folks. Super popular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lexus Velodrome, Detroit Michigan

Rentals are Felt TK3's

A lot of the good riders are on TK1's

I gotta make a trip to Indy this summer
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planet X sells the Holdsworth which is a very nice frame for a reasonable amount of money. There are a few at my track. I would have gotten one if I could have found the size I needed last fall.

They also sell the Pro Carbon, I had one in the smallest size and honestly is was a handful to ride. The 75° head tube made the steering too responsive for me. It was a good quality frame but not right for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
based on the ones you listed (that is, you aren't looking at high end $3k+ frames)
The TK2/3, Fuji Pro, Dolan Pre Cursa or DF3/4, Planet X stealth track version, older Trek T1's, Specialized Langster Pro's, etc. I've got a Look 464 I bought used for a couple hundred bucks and it's a nice bunchie bike.

As noted, some "high end" ish Open mold frames out there as well. I like the looks of the T4 clone that was linked, and some of the Argon18 clones look good as well.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty familiar with several of the models listed. The used market is looking pretty thin, so I thought I would peruse new bikes. Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cervelo have all discontinued their offerings. Felt only has the FRD frame at $5500. Fuji got rid of their aluminum models and only has a $2k carbon frame/fork.

The Fuji Elite and Felt TK2 used to be great value propositions - a beginner could grab them and start doing laps, but they were solid enough that you could upgrade the wheels and bars and go to track nats without feeling undergunned. The Langster Pro wasn't a bad bike either, and was fairly reasonable. Always hoped they would give it the Allez Pro treatment, which would have made for a pretty slippery machine.

It looks like my options are to pony up for the Fuji, rob a bank and get the Felt, or wait for something to pop up on ebay/craigslist/marketplace, or hope to stumble across a NOS in the back corner of a shop somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw... Specialized makes an Allez Sprint track version.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. However it's not currently on the website. Do you know if that's because it is discontinued, or just out of stock?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard to say... my guess is with Red Hook's situation and racing in general it's been pulled... but that's just a guess.

*Affinity Kissena is a pretty nice bike in person too

Last edited by: Morelock: Jan 20, 21 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone probably said Allez during one of their rides and Specialized is suing them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I really...really like a lot of the ideas behind this bike.

Fifty point one

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
hard to say... my guess is with Red Hook's situation and racing in general it's been pulled... but that's just a guess.

*Affinity Kissena is a pretty nice bike in person too

this bike brand had a good team doing red hook crit:

https://www.aventon.com/collections/complete-bikes-track-fixed-gear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically, we still make a track bike.

The Speed Concept can be retrofitted with our UCI-legal components that are used by our Trek-Segafredo athletes for track racing. You'd just have to make the components fit your needs but you can order it as a frame-only with all the UCI-legal components through Project One.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Who Still Makes a Track Bike? [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
Technically, we still make a track bike.

The Speed Concept can be retrofitted with our UCI-legal components that are used by our Trek-Segafredo athletes for track racing. You'd just have to make the components fit your needs but you can order it as a frame-only with all the UCI-legal components through Project One.
Are the new sc rear facing drops? It would be a real pain for someone if they are still bottom facing.

I considered cutting out the drops in my 1st gen and putting in real track drops, but decided it wasn't worth the effort as the spacing would still be an issue to work around

Quote Reply

Prev Next