Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who Makes The Most?
Quote | Reply
Curious who everyone thinks makes the most or ranking - not including prize winnings. So sponsorship or external revenue (youtube).

We got sanders who is fairly back of the pack but has a big fan base. Frodeno is a superstar but less fan base. Iden and Blum are top knotch but not sure of fan base. Brownlee has been around forever but really doesnt do the youtube social media too much.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [BigToe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious about this also. My money (no pun intended) would be on Frodo.

Let food be thy medicine...
Last edited by: JackStraw13: May 8, 23 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends if you're counting payment in kind as income. I'd wager that Sanders' camper would fetch a pretty penny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would assume Jan. Big non-triathlon sponsors and the sport is more popular in Germany than anywhere else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wurf, if you include his Ineos salary?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess would be Jan. I think he's made some good investments and is a businessman as well as a great athlete. His pad in Girona is pretty nice.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan and KB. That Red Bull sponsorship has to be pretty good. Jan and Lange both are/were sponsored by car companies at various points, those are where the real $$$ is. YT can’t be doing that much for most athletes but Sanders is probably popular enough he does well all things considered.

Not sure what Wurf’s Ineos salary is as more of a lower tier domestique but maybe better than most triathletes.

You’d think Iden would be up there.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Wurf, if you include his Ineos salary?

No chance, he's one of the lowest-level domestique at Ineos...I'd guess no more than a ~$200K salary, and he's never won a top-tier triathlon that I'm aware of. Or any bike race ever, as far as I know. I'd assume race winners get the big money. Frodo's net worth is apparently approaching $100M.
Last edited by: trail: May 8, 23 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only on Slowtwitch is Lionel considered "back of the pack."

73 pro races since 2014. He's on the podium 67% of the time he starts.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

We should not forget his 2nd place at WC St-George.

The question is how many podiums at A level races does he have left going forward ? I am a fan so I'll say a few more.

Yesterday I asked a question about how fair PTO ranking are. And it sounds like the new formula is fair. So, want to predict his PTO ranking by end of year ?
Last edited by: marcag: May 8, 23 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Because ultimately I don't buy into the idea that the PTO Tour events are equivalent to IM World Championships and have more weight in rankings than 70.3 Worlds.

I appreciate what they're trying to do in terms of building these races up. But that feels off.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
No. Because ultimately I don't buy into the idea that the PTO Tour events are equivalent to IM World Championships and have more weight in rankings than 70.3 Worlds.

I appreciate what they're trying to do in terms of building these races up. But that feels off.

Saturday had as much power as any IM or 70.3 event.

Ultimately points are based on prize purse. Which is the way it should be.
Last edited by: marcag: May 8, 23 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has got to be Frodeno and I don’t think anyone else is even in his ballpark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think many make anything substantial directly from youtube but the amount of exposure would raise the price for some athletes. Its taken into consideration when it comes to sponsorships. Take for example, Daniel Ricc in F1. He is an "ambassador" to redbull but he has such a large fanbase, they paid out the wazoo to get him and he doesnt even drive. Same concept.

Any take on the countries incomes? the US doesnt pay a dang thing to its athletes (olympians get a small wage) but does GB or Norway have some better support system for its athletes to take into account?
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

The question is how many podiums at A level races does he have left going forward ? I am a fan so I'll say a few more.

Yesterday I asked a question about how fair PTO ranking are. And it sounds like the new formula is fair. So, want to predict his PTO ranking by end of year ?

Oh boy, this thread will become a fanboy argument thread. He has his work cut out for him, but I wouldn't call him back of the pack. He'll likely be competitive again but will be tough to win these races unless he's able to get it together.

My guess is sponsorships are likely to pull more weight than race earnings, with the exception of IM WC and PTO races. With travel and other costs it's hard for pros to live off the 2nd and 3rd tier IM race winnings (assuming they don't win every single race, but even podiums are tough). There's a reason the PTO is pulling WC level fields though, that prize purse definitely has to be enticing. And the Collins Cup and end of the year bonus, definitely adds up for some nice coin if you are top 20.

There are pros that go deep into this such as Cody Beals and others if you wanted to know. Don't think any high ranked people have gone into it though.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

Right?
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does some pros not own e.g. wyn republic? That should mKe some money or jan whit ryzon.

Do not underestimate lcb here! Good youtube following, red bull athlete. And has a lot od the female triathlete attention for herself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

it will be intresting to see how many klicks the pto ibiza vs 70.3 worlds in lahti threads will get on here.
Last edited by: pk: May 8, 23 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
marcag wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Oh boy, this thread will become a fanboy argument thread. He has his work cut out for him, but I wouldn't call him back of the pack. He'll likely be competitive again but will be tough to win these races unless he's able to get it together.

Ya let us not turn this into a fanboy argument. Let me rephrase - he has wins, he has good races, then he has his blowups, and his misfortunes. I suppose he focuses more on his misfortunes in his videos than his wins or lately he has been having a rough go of it. Not discrediting him. Back to the topic at hand haha
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

it will be interesting to see how many clicks the pto ibiza vs 70.3 worlds in lahti threads will get on here.

They don't get paid for those

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

Lionel was one of the stars of Triathlon and had the potential to be one of the best ever out of Nth America this century BUT that ship has sailed.Yes he has a couple of IM Worlds podiums but so have a lot of other guys who are never talked about in the same way Lionel is.I will never understand that especially since he hasnt won an Ironman of any description for five and a half years and if we are to believe his plans for this year that drought is going to extend to over six years. That is a huge time gap in victories while the standard is continuing to improve in everyone else.
"You are only as good as your last result",as the saying goes in sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Lionel was one of the stars of Triathlon and had the potential to be one of the best ever out of Nth America this century BUT that ship has sailed.Yes he has a couple of IM Worlds podiums but so have a lot of other guys who are never talked about in the same way Lionel is.I will never understand that especially since he hasnt won an Ironman of any description for five and a half years and if we are to believe his plans for this year that drought is going to extend to over six years. That is a huge time gap in victories while the standard is continuing to improve in everyone else.

Who are you comparing him to? Right now he's easily the best Canadian of the last 10 years and who is he up against of his contemporaries? Hoffman and O'Donnell? That's a select group. And he's still got a few bullets in the revolver.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could have been much better this year if he kept training with CC
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Who are you comparing him to? Right now he's easily the best Canadian of the last 10 years and who is he up against of his contemporaries? Hoffman and O'Donnell? That's a select group. And he's still got a few bullets in the revolver.
So funny that you want to move the goalposts to suit. I said "This Century" which started 23 years ago (not 10) and I know you haven't been in the sport all that long but let me introduce you a few Canadian people. There once was a guy named Peter Reid who,this century won Hawaii twice,came second twice and third once. (on top of his other Kona win and poduim place in the 90's)He was inducted into the Ironman Hall of Fame in 2016.

Then let me also introduce you to his ex wife(Also an Ironman Hall of Fame inductee,2015) who,this century won Ironman Hawaii once,came second twice,and third once.They also won a shitload more Ironman race than Lionel in an era when there weren't as many races to cherry pick.

Special mention to Heather Fuhr who is also an Ironman Hall of Fame inductee,2015

Extra special mention goes to that other Canadian dude who,this century, became the first guy to win a Triathlon Olympic Gold Medal followed by an Olympic Silver and a Commonweath Games Gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Makes The Most? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same Peter Reid who is 18 years Lionel's senior? Not exactly a contemporary. Peter retired from Triathlon when Lionel was in high school.

Now if you think he had a chance to surpass Peter Reid if everything went well, then sure. But it's well known Lionel is a recovering addict and knowing recovering addicts, there's a few things that get in the way of achieving full potential. But what we got from Lionel is much closer than what the Chargers got from Ryan Leaf.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next