Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who's Your Nemesis?
Quote | Reply
The Best Rivalry in Sports thread got me thinking about personal rivalries. Specifically, do you have a nemesis – another triathlete in your training/racing world who usually is faster than you and makes you think “I want to beat him/her.”? I had one once. Here’s my story:

Four years ago, I had my job under control and was able to train on a regular basis. That summer I started finishing in the top 10 - 15% of my age group and even broke into the top 5 of my AG a couple of times at smaller races. Then, in August, I raced a moderate sized (500 plus) Oly distance tri in northern Ohio. I had a decent swim and PRd the bike. My run seemed steady and I passed a lot of triathletes. Around mile 5 on the run, I heard some runners coming up on me. Relay teams, I thought. No, two guys passed me strongly and both of them had my age group marked on their calves. I couldn’t match their pace. I had just dropped two places in the final mile. When results were announced, I finished 5th in my AG and was very happy about my best ever finish.

Three weeks later, I raced at the USAT Mideast Region Championship in Indianapolis. I had an average swim and bike for me, but I felt good on the run. It was brutally hot and I was happy to be passing people. With about 1.5 miles to go, I heard footsteps from behind getting louder. I thought “Oh no, not again.” As the triathlete passed me, I looked and saw he was one of the same two guys who passed me in the previous race. I looked at him and said “I can’t believe it. You passed me at the same spot in a race 3 weeks ago!” I expected some sort of friendly nod or short response. Instead, he turned to stare me directly in the eyes as he passed, sneered, and then said in a contemptuous tone “Why don’t you learn how to run?” He then dropped the hammer and left me. In the span of 5 seconds, I was surprised, angry, and then laughing at myself thinking “Ya know, he’s right.”

Anyway, I knew then I had a nemesis. You cannot believe how much I wanted to drop that guy the next year. We did many of the same races, neither of us was aging up, and I knew I would see him again. I trained harder on the run that winter came out the next year with improved running speed and endurance. I even thought about taking it easy on the bike to let him get ahead of me just so I could dust him on the run. When I didn’t see him at popular Midwest races by June that next year, I asked an Ohio race director friend about him. Apparently, my nemesis had moved to Texas during the off season. I haven’t seen him since, nor has any other triathlete brought out the fire in me like that guy did that year. The funny thing is, he probably doesn’t even know I exist. But if I ever get down to Texas to race – and I will eventually – I’ll be a gunnin’ fer him!

So, who’s your nemesis?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Your Nemesis? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training buddy, and best friend is my nemesis. If it wasn't for him I would not not be the stud I am. (HA HA). At our last race it came down to a sprint finish for third in our age group. It was the first time I beat him in 8 years of racing. What a kick, we both can't wait till the next race. (Great question)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My nemesis is Mr. Tibbs circa. 1999 vs. Modren day Mr. Tibbs.

Another one is Mr. Tibb's Daughters Hormones vs. Mr. Tibbs.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a certain CAT 4 TT racer that whomps my azz at every race (note that he did a 54:00 40k TT last month)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I've gotta go with BigWaveDave here. My training partner is my nemesis. For our last race she started 5 seconds behind me on the swim (we are the same age) and I beat her out of the water by 6 seconds. She proceeded to kill me on the bike, as usual, but I beat her on the run, even though I had to run back to the transition area to get my forgotten race number. I've never beaten her in a tri, but someday my bike will improve, I know it!

You never know when an innocuous pool swim will turn into Canada (her) vs. USA (me) in the Olympics...at least in our minds... It's great too, because we both manage to be happy for the other, but still want to beat her. The rivalry has done nothing but make us both faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My body!! The bastard keeps me from winning all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'john' is the nemesis of 'lucky.' We will be bitter enemies TILL THE DEATH. I never should have taught that SOB to swim. john-you must unlearn what you know...
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Your Nemesis? [lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For john to beat lucky, the stars have to align just right. Either that or it has to be a duathlon. Since the nemesis is the one that always wins, lucky is the nemesis of john rather than john being the nemesis of lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Your Nemesis? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I scorn your existence john.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I would call him my nemesis, because he was too nice a guy every time I met him, but for three straight editions of the Pound, Pedal and Pant duathlon I have finished 2nd place to Stephen Smith of Reston, Va.

In the first edition I opened with a 16:14 3-mile, rode the 3rd or 4th fastest bike split and closed with a 16:13 and he still beat me by a minute. Since then he has increased his winning distance each race, mostly by pounding me on the bike. Without him I would be 3-0. Instead I'm 0-3.

This year I did Boston six days earlier and was a little gimpy but still managed to open with a 16:24. He was right in front of me at the beginning of the ride. I rode 23.5 mph on a pretty hilly course and I never saw him again.

Now that I live in the desert I have doubled my bike miles, but I won't get another chance at him any time soon.

Nice riding Stephen.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally beat my nemesis this spring!

She is a faster swimmer and biker, but when I'm on, I can kick her on the run. So, basically, she always beats me. Usually out of an AG award.

Big drama (only in my own head of course) at a local duathlon - my first (usually stick to tris and runs). I saw her in the run and thought, I'll just stick behind her and let her pace this....see if I can keep up with her on the bike....I thought since I was training for long distance, I might not be able to hang with her even on the first run, but guess what....she was just too damned slow! I was forced to pass early, and thought that once she saw me, I'd be out of luck.

But I rode like heck and she didn't catch me until the last 2 miles of the bike and I managed to keep her in sight. Again, tried to pace myself slowly, didn't want to run out of juice and have her kick me, but...again, she was just too damned slow (how does that ever happen to your nemesis?)...and I passed her about halfway through the run....never to see her again.

And then? Couldn't be bothered to stick around for my AG award, because I was training for IM, so...headed out for the rest of my workout, another 1.5 hours of running.

I'm not very competitive, but I'm sure I had a big smile on my face for the rest of that training run. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really just one person. I generally try to beat as many guys in the poser rich 30-34 age group as possible (kidding about the posers).

If my time would place me mop in that fast age group I'm usually happy.

In my own age group (45-49) I find most are either WAY faster than me and former elite racers or else they're just broken down old men with big tummies.
Last edited by: beatnic_tx: Jul 2, 04 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is my nemesis?

Every morning when I get up I see this guy in the mirror. he is responsible for everything that has gone wrong in my life and every shortcoming I struggle with.

That guy in the mirror. He needs a good ass kicking.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Your Nemesis? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you could take him. Bet you could kick Mr Mirror Man's butt.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Your Nemesis? [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bet you could kick Mr Mirror Man's butt"

You are probably right. Problem is that if Tom did that, he would simultaneously be kicked by Mr Mirror Man in the butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to write code for this guy that was just hilarious. One day, somebody got on his case for some code that his team had produced. They asked him to "have a talk with" the problematic employee. Turned out, he had written the code himself.

I asked him if he'd had a good talk with himself, and he said yes. Said he went to the mirror and explained the situation. I asked him how he took it. He said, "Well, I was a little defensive at first, but once I realized the intent, I lightened up a little."

It still makes me laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Susan F'gn Dell.

Meaning, I MUST beat her Ironman time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom D, you are right as usual. However, don't forget that man in the mirror is also the guy that has traveled the world to create memories and achieve goals that many of us Slowtwitchers only dream of seeing and achieving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fellow named Tom is mine, and I think I have become his. He's always been near the podium, whereas I just began "placing" last year. I've actually beat him several times, now. We often thank one another for not showing up at a race the other of us did. We are better friends than most other people we don't know and race against...we only talk before and after races, never anytime else, but, we respect the competitiveness that our battle brews, and both are glad for the improvements that are the result.

Tom....I'll beat you at the next race we do together...or, I won't. Either way, it will be close, and we'll both be better because of it. I'm glad you're out there for me to chase in my mind, even when you aren't there in person on race day.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply