Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
White Mountains Tri - 6/23
Quote | Reply
Who's doing it?

I'll be up there for the Summit Social on Friday night and 'racing' (if you can call it that) the 1/2 on Saturday morning.

There's an option for a Sprint, an Olympic a 1/2 and Relays.

Looks to be a fun, smallish, regional race.

http://www.millenniumrunning.com/whitemountainstri

Edited to add - I'm in 40-44 category and not very fast. If you're going, what AG are you in?
Last edited by: alexanderzlenz: Jun 19, 18 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [alexanderzlenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a crazy few months for me, so I'm only doing the sprint and I'll be doing it slowly, but I will be there in the 30-34 age group. Looks like it should be a fun race! Hopefully we get good weather for it; it's such a beautiful location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it in M40-44 category as well. Will try to hit podium, but not 100% sure about it.

The race looks quite hilly, especially run. It will be a good challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
I'm doing it in M40-44 category as well. Will try to hit podium, but not 100% sure about it.

The race looks quite hilly, especially run. It will be a good challenge.

Good luck!

I hope to be under 5:30 for my race, definitely not shooting for the podium. The course certainly does have some hills, adds to the fun!

I have a neon green/yellow Trek with matching Boyd wheels, feel free to stop by for a meet 'n' greet if you see me.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Scurracane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scurracane wrote:
It's been a crazy few months for me, so I'm only doing the sprint and I'll be doing it slowly, but I will be there in the 30-34 age group. Looks like it should be a fun race! Hopefully we get good weather for it; it's such a beautiful location.

Good luck to you as well, I love that location too. One of my family's favorite locales.

We are staying at the Mountain View Grand for the weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Good luck to you as well!
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Scurracane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone mapped the Olympic run course (3x for 70.3)
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/19093042

And, here's the Olympic Bike Course
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/19092869

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like fun. I visit Littleton from time to time, might have to try to do this next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing the half as well. The last time I raced at all was Timberman about 4 years ago. Work, life and injury has kept me away from racing but I'm excited to get back to it. I'm typically a 4:35-4:50 finisher but something tells me I won't even be in that ballpark in this event, looks quite hilly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife and I are in for the olympic. Hoping they touched up the road on the first downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, just read this in the athlete's guide:

CAUTIONARY NOTE - You’ll depart T1 and immediately encounter a dramatic downhill, most of which is 10%, for the first 2.5 miles on Profile Rd./Rt.18. This section of the road is very uneven from frost heaves and cracks, please use extra caution. There is ample pavement between the crown and the right shoulder for a safe decent, in single file. We, also, strongly suggest that you DO NOT MAKE ANY PASSES here.

10% downhill for close to 3 miles on shit road....
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
I'm racing the half as well. The last time I raced at all was Timberman about 4 years ago. Work, life and injury has kept me away from racing but I'm excited to get back to it. I'm typically a 4:35-4:50 finisher but something tells me I won't even be in that ballpark in this event, looks quite hilly.

Good luck to you!

Like I stated earlier in the thread - flaming yellow speed concept with matching boyd wheels. Bib #38, come say hi!
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Piche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Piche wrote:
Wife and I are in for the olympic. Hoping they touched up the road on the first downhill.

Have a great race! My wife will be arriving at the transition area at some point during the bike. She's bringing my 3 kids aka 'the cheering squad'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for the Olympic. The first downhill is still really bad. There are deep cracks essentially parallel with the road going the length of the hill creating two lines down, on the right and on the left. Some people will be way overly cautious and you have no choice but to look for a line to cross left and pass. Just send it...

Also be prepared for a chilly start. I am guessing temps in the low 50s. It is 35 there now.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jun 22, 18 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I am in for the Olympic. The first downhill is still really bad. There are deep cracks essentially parallel with the road going the length of the hill creating two lines down, on the right and on the left. Some people will be way overly cautious and you have no choice but to look for a line to cross left and pass. Just send it...

Also be prepared for a chilly start. I am guessing temps in the low 50s. It is 35 there now.

They forecasted rain, but later in the day. 50 and overcast sounds like a very good weather for a race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I decided to try different taper strategy and did Corporate Challenge Boston yesterday - 3.5M run.

"Decided" is a strong word, if they offer something for free, I'll run it! Today the legs are not 100% fresh, we will see how it's going to affect my performance tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine, just take it easy today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:
trimdc wrote:

Good luck to you!

Like I stated earlier in the thread - flaming yellow speed concept with matching boyd wheels. Bib #38, come say hi!

I saw your bike, it hung in the same row as mine. It's gorgeous!

The race itself was everything I hoped it will be - challenging life-sucking hills! They really like an idea of finishing each leg with a strong long uphill just to make us happy.

In addition to hills we had an increased swim distance. I'm pretty sure they miscalculated the swim course. We're probably supposed to turn at the large orange buoys, like the say in the description. But the map shows longer loops around small orange buoys. The announcer recommended to go around small ones and so we did. My Garmin recorded 1.48mi and average swim time was around 40 min.

Also shitty roads and occasional rain. It was my slowest half ever and my best place ever. 1 in AG, 10th overall. But that's because there were just 6 people in M40-45 and 77 finishers overall. It's a bit strange, I swear there were more than that on the start. Where did they all go?

In any case, highly recommended for anybody in New England, who wants to get some blood pumping in their quads early in the season. In combination with B2VT ride https://b2vtride.com/ two weeks before - good season start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We missed you at the awards. I ended up with 2nd AG and I agree with your statement about there being more that started. I saw two wrecks and at least two mechanicals.

That was a tough course and an extra long swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
alexanderzlenz wrote:
trimdc wrote:

Good luck to you!

I saw your bike, it hung in the same row as mine. It's gorgeous!

The race itself was everything I hoped it will be - challenging life-sucking hills! They really like an idea of finishing each leg with a strong long uphill just to make us happy.

In addition to hills we had an increased swim distance. I'm pretty sure they miscalculated the swim course. We're probably supposed to turn at the large orange buoys, like the say in the description. But the map shows longer loops around small orange buoys. The announcer recommended to go around small ones and so we did. My Garmin recorded 1.48mi and average swim time was around 40 min.

Also shitty roads and occasional rain. It was my slowest half ever and my best place ever. 1 in AG, 10th overall. But that's because there were just 6 people in M40-45 and 77 finishers overall. It's a bit strange, I swear there were more than that on the start. Where did they all go?

In any case, highly recommended for anybody in New England, who wants to get some blood pumping in their quads early in the season. In combination with B2VT ride https://b2vtride.com/ two weeks before - good season start!

I had a very similar experience as you. The swim was definitely long. I was several minutes off my standard swim time. Going into this race I didn't have a lot of time on the bike so I suffered there, which I think set me up for my worse run of all time at a half. Even with my slowest half time I managed to pull off 1 in my AG as well but I think there were only 8 or 9 in my AG. I think you nipped me by one spot OA.

Definitely an awesome and tough course. After they repave that first section of the bike course I think that will be up there for favorite bike courses for me, with a little bit of everything except flat road, HA.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had the swim at about 2600 yards. Definitely way long! Also saw a black bear hanging out in a field about 10-15 miles in. Not something you see often at races.
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Garmin for the Olympic said 2200 yards, I looked at a bunch of others on Strava and it said 2150-2200 yards too. The swim was way long, not sure how that happened.

It will be great next year when the first hill is paved, otherwise it is a great course and one of the few Triathlons in the area that is really growing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:
We missed you at the awards. I ended up with 2nd AG and I agree with your statement about there being more that started. I saw two wrecks and at least two mechanicals.

That was a tough course and an extra long swim.
Congratulations on your race! Love the WMT! Did the Sprint last year, Half two years ago (it, umm... didn't go well), but on IR this year, so volunteered instead. Probably saw all of you multiple times!

The good news is that they *are* re-working 3-mile hill, starting in the next week or two. So next year should be cherry!

As for not as many finishers, there were several dnf's post swim, seemed like some guys overdid it in the cold water. There was a couple of wrecks, but no major injuries from what I had heard. And one guy collapsed in T2, but he was also ok.

Best scene of the day: a Sprinter, Alex, in his first race, sucked his rear derailler and wrapped it into his spokes just after the major climb. Left his bike with a buddy of mine (also volunteering) and ran the last 3 miles in barefoot! Turns out it was also his birthday...

Millennium has been doing a great job the last couple of years since they took over the WMT. Sure, there's some quirks and hiccups, but they're ironing them out. Can't wait for next year!

On another note, if you like racing in that area, check out the Top Notch Tri the first weekend of August. Starts from downtown Franconia where you ride about 3 miles on pavement, then transfers to a trail climb for another 2.5 miles. Top of the trail brings you to the base of Cannon, where you'll swimacross Echo Lake. On the other side of Echo, you'll lace up and run to the summit of Cannon! Certainly not a long race, but a whole lot of fun!

- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Digging up an old thread....

I'm doing this race next summer, curious on the traffic control for the bike course. Are the roads closed, or at least the smaller ones like Easton Valley Rd. and the out & back climb up Lost River rd (rt 112)? Are some of the busier roads like 302 into Bethlehem and 3/Daniel Webster Hwy back to transition basically riding on the shoulder?
Quote Reply
Re: White Mountains Tri - 6/23 [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
Digging up an old thread....

I'm doing this race next summer, curious on the traffic control for the bike course. Are the roads closed, or at least the smaller ones like Easton Valley Rd. and the out & back climb up Lost River rd (rt 112)? Are some of the busier roads like 302 into Bethlehem and 3/Daniel Webster Hwy back to transition basically riding on the shoulder?

Roads are not closed, traffic control was fine. Yes, the busy road towards the end you are basically on the shoulder. There were a couple places where traffic backed up causing some trouble in the towns, but otherwise everything was fine from my experience. Very difficult route.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next