Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers?
Quote | Reply
A while back Ari Klau said he was training to run a sub-four minute mile off of tri training. He got injured and the attempt never materialized but this got me thinking: which pro triathletes could run sub-4? In the era of super shoes and BU indoor track facilities, this feat isn't quite what it used to be but still requires tremendous talent.

My picks (off the top of my head):
Hayden Wilde- exceptional running PBs in the 3000-5000m (also is training partners with 3:31 1500m guy Sam Tanner)
Alex Yee- No doubt in my mind, the fastest runner in triathlon at the moment. If you can run in Diamond League track meets you can run a 3:55 easily.
Norwegian Fat Man- I am positive Blu could gut out a 3:59.
Richard Murray- exceptional running PRs as well. Maybe a little on the older side now.
Morgan Pearson- 1500m PB from 2013 or something is about a 4:00 mile. Not sure if he's got that kind of speed anymore.

Honorable mentions:
Alan Webb: Technically he already did lol. I know most don't think "Alan Webb the triathlete" when they hear his name but it's worth mentioning he dabbled in the sport for a bit and also owns a 3:46.91 PB in the mile so I'll mention it.
Brownlee bros: Both are on the older side now, but these guys are my personal GOATS and definitely could have been sub-four guys in their prime. I'd say Jonny over Alistair at the time this is being written although unlikely for both right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [LetsRunJon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craig mottram ran a 3:48 (!!) in norway and also technically, i think, did some tri and du at some point.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [LetsRunJon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a poster around here who goes by waysub4. Hopefully he comes and posts on this topic. I am not sure Norwegian fat man could do it....glad to be wrong....google shows me him at 177cm, 75 kilos and 87 VO2max so maybe he has the VO2Max at this size to do it
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craig mottram ran a 3:48 (!!) in norway and also technically, i think, did some tri and du at some point. //

I was going to mention Craig, and also Lucas Verzbicas I believe had a sub 4 in high school?? As for speculation of others, probably many that have 27/28+ 10k PR's would be in the ball park, but only when they were in their primes. And of course it would require a laser focus on that type of training for some period of time, not during Tri training..
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason West I’d imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vincent Luis no doubt
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep LV broke the barrier. He may be one of the most “what if” stories in the sport. If he would have been on the start list at the final AQ event in 2012 San Diego, pretty much everyone figured he’d get one of the Olympic spots with how easy that course was designed to be a run race.. So much back story to the federation to keep him off the start list by way of being subbed in by a few of the more prominent usat guys at the time.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
87 VO2max so maybe he has the VO2Max at this size to do it

Isn't VO2 max already accounting for weight? (kg in the denominator)

I assumed VO2 max can be compared across athletes of a different weight, for this reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They dont really run mile races often here in Aus but Birthwistles 3 50
1500 as a 16 or 17 year old shows he wasn't too far off doing it. He stopped racing track about then so we never got to see what he could become.
The guys he always consistently beat are now our Olympic 1500, to 10000m guys, and diamond league medalists
Last edited by: chrisb12: Aug 13, 23 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny this came up. Yesterday I googled what happened to LV. My daughter was just getting into triathlon at the time and he was in his short lived prime.
There is a letsrun thread on him. That place is just as ruthless as ST. I laughed at some of the triathlon digs they threw in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Which professional triathletes past and present could also be (or have been) sub-4 milers? [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with LV was going to be how was he going to be wrestled away from his stepfather to develop his professional career. His step fathers overbearing ness was the elephant in the room to the point usat hired him to coach the newly formed elite triathlon academy of which LV was on….which Romas broke every athlete with his Eastern European philosophy of volume training, etc. within an year of the program being established.

If he would have races 2012 San Diego wts event he would have made the Olympic team. His swim was decent enough to make chase pack and that course had 60 guys in T2 together.

Really unfortunate that pressure and then the crash basically derailed his career. I mean he spent months in hospital recovering. How he didn’t die is likely even more miraculous with the speed and line he took crashing into the guard rail.

He imo made a mistake by “quitting” Oregon so abruptly in season. But of course 18 year old kids make dumb decisions in life.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would throw Mario Mola into the mix. And as others have said, also Vincent Louis. Both would have certainly more chances than Blu.
Quote Reply