Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which more prestigious? USAT National Long-Course Age-Group Championship or U.S. Half-Iron Triathlon Championship
Quote | Reply
What do people think about this? The folks running the U.S. Half-Iron Triathlon Championship seem to be working on creating quite a buzz about this race and the Long-Course Championship is actually a qualifying event for the Half-Iron Championship. I feel like the Long-Course Championship should be more prestigious though.
Quote Reply
Re: Which more prestigious? USAT National Long-Course Age-Group Championship or U.S. Half-Iron Triathlon Championship [Matt Thibodeau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt-

Whereas I was wondering the same thing last week when I heard the US Half-IM National Championship announcement...

and Whereas I've always felt that USAT does little to encourage participation in championship races...

The Ultramax US Half-IM championship is hereby more prestigious. (According to me.)

It wasn't until my third season in the sport that I realized there were 'regional' and national champioships. The olympic distance championship race does draw quite a collection of competitive racers, and that makes me hopeful that someday the half-IM (long-distance) races will begin to draw crowds from across the country. But for the time being I think competitive half and IM racers overlook USAT championships in favor of M-dot races. Which is too bad, because the half-ironman is a great race distance, unlike IM which for all but a handful of people isn't so much a race as a participation event. USAT should, in my opinion, allow M-dot races to serve as national championships (so we can get those handful of IM racers together in one place). That's not a snub at the Great Floridian, which I though was a race done right and deserves as much attention as M-dot. Rather if USAT rotates the championship between IM-NA races and non-M-dot races, it might serve to even the playing field and bring more people to the non-IMNA races. Did anyone notice IM-NA claimed Lake Placid to be the North American IM Championships?

I did the Muncie Endurathon twice (this race is another race done right, I plan to return), the year before and the year of national championships and noticed little difference in the field that could be attributed to the national championship status. And if the national race doesn't draw a crowd, what should we expect from regional championships?

So good for the Ultramax crew to step up and claim the half-IM torch and run with it. I hope they have a hit on their hands and attract a dozen racers going under 4:10. Or at least motiviate USAT to stop thinking that by slapping the 'regional championship' label on a race it has any impact on the field. If the race wasn't two weeks after Ironman Wisconsin, I'd do it (but not in under 4:10). Maybe next year I'll skip IM for this race...

-Mark Harms
Quote Reply
Re: Which more prestigious? USAT National Long-Course Age-Group Championship or U.S. Half-Iron Triathlon Championship [Matt Thibodeau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's like this. When I first entered triathlon I felt that USAT was more of a federation than a corporation. I don't mean this in the technical sense, god forbid that some board lawyers should sue me for defamation. But I thought they had my best interests in heart. At the very least I thought I was buying regulation for races, i.e. I'd like a 5k run to actually be 5k (I can dream can't I).

After a couple of years I learned that USAT was not a federation, but a corporation. Their main interest is putting money in the bank. Want proof of this? Look at the "Age Group Commission" page that is still linked to from USAT. http://www.bradsport.com/age_group_commission.htm

Notice it says 2002? That's right, it's a sham. The corporation is more interested in marketing to an ever "wider" (fat) audience than providing for it's core athletes.

Will I still pay the annual fee? Yes. Is there any way around it? Nope, most of the races I do are USAT sanctioned. I hope that the Ultramax people can give USAT a run for their money and can provide a viable alternative.

mobiusnc
Last edited by: mobiusnc: Feb 1, 04 5:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the USAT LC Championships should be more prestigious, and I am planning to head to Arkadelphia........really just want a shirt that says Arkadelphia :-).

However, after seeing the hype on the MO race and having heard only great things about the outfit putting it on and being totally and completely UNDERWHELMED by last year's USAT Nats in Shreveport.........I am seriously contemplating adding the new championships to my schedule.

If you think about, it says a lot (and nothing good) about the current state of affairs in USAT, that we even have to have this discussion.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Which more prestigious? USAT National Long-Course Age-Group Championship or U.S. Half-Iron Triathlon Championship [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest difference will be in the ranking points. The USAT race will be worth more. Probably given a 98 vs the self proclaimed championship given a 92. Not a big difference unless your trying to bolster your national ranking. All in all I think that once you get past the USAT national oly tri championships, Tri and Duathlon Worlds the rest of the championship races become a hit or miss race. maybe you'll get the top national guys maybe (more likely) not.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply