Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which law enforcement agency...
Quote | Reply
... goes after internet fraud?

we've got one of those phony cashiers checks from a "nigerian" who wants to buy a couple of monty's 25th anniversary dura ace groups. so we're ready to have the shipper come and pick up the goods, and we want to have a badged authority here to greet him.

but we're unsure whether it's local or federal, you know, mail fraud or interstate or what. i figger somebody out in forum land will know who we ought to contact.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it is a phony check, that would probaly fall under counterfeit and be the secret service.
Quote Reply
Here ya go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml

falls under secret service

Quote | Reply
I think it's the Secret Service. They have these scam warning listed on their website and you are asked if you are scammed etc. to contact a local field office. Here's a link:

http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The U.S. Marshalls (I believe), but I would contact your local U.S. Attorney's office first. They will handle the "details".

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are either pretty busy or aren't really worried about it much. I contacted both the local DA and the Secret Service a couple of months ago after I got a letter from someone supposedly from Nigeria who wanted to transfer $32 million USD into a bank account and pay me a hefty fee for setting it up. I never got a reply back from either of them after both phone calls and email messages, so (for Dan) I wouldn't expect too much help catching the individuals.

Lance

Quote | Reply
Dan's situation is quite a bit further along. He already has a check that is probably phony, or at least he thinks so. Those Nigerian emails are just laughable. I doubt the U.S. Attorney is doing anything about them unless someone has actually BITTEN on it.

Oh, I forgot to add that the U.S. Attorney's Office probably won't want to handle it anyway unless the amount is quite large (In excess of $25,000). Your local PD or Sheriff is more likely to help.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Last edited by: Robert: Sep 5, 03 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Dr. Doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call the A-Team, you crazy fool.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in our town, we've had a recurring problem over the last few years with people passing counterfeit bills. The local police department always handled the matter initially. I'm not sure what happened after arrests were made and charges brought forth; i.e. I don't know to which agency the police department then turned the case over. But the local police responded to the call and then made the arrests. I'd start with the local authorities first.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROFLMAO! Thanks, I needed a good chuckle this morning.

Totally off topic, but a couple of months ago, my sister in law (she's about 16 now) saw Mr. T on some TV show and said..."Hey that's the guy from the Call ATT commercials." When I mentioned the A-Team, she had no clue as to what I was talking about. (my favorite character was murdock, he was crazy as a road lizard)

Quote | Reply
Hey sucka - 'howling mad' is the medical term, I believe.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's under the jurisdiction of mail fraud, which is handy because the posties have their own marshals. There was a story in the paper a couple of weeks ago about how a postal fed tracked and busted an internet scammer even has he fled around the country (I think he was caught in Fla).

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he got the check by mail, then yes, but the U.S. Attorney's Office handles the prosecutions anyway so that's where I'd start. As I said, the Feds may not be interested even if it is mail fraud unless it is a large amount. The U.S. Attorneys are very very busy right now. Overwhelmed is the word I believe.

-Robert

Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
secret service IS a good place to start, as it turns out, and yes, U.S. attorneys are the prosecuting authorities.

we've played this out, monty and i. we've gotten the fraudulent cashier's check, deposited it, etc., and so forth. we're at the point of the nit-picky instructions of how the goods will be picked up, where the excess money sent, etc. i'm going to write a story about it. it's all fairly interesting and comical.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will this be an episode on Monk? :),

-Robert

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
video tape the take down and post it on slowtwitch.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have problems with computer security, internet security, internet spamming, contact CERT (at carnegie mellon) site is www.cert.org they will tell you who to contact as they are the watchdogs for comp. sec. issues, internet security, and spamming or email fraud is still in this area.
I worked this summer on the area, and to be honest, the law is more than fuzzy in this area and it is very hard to prosecute anyone at this stage, without consensus on the law, even more so when the fraud is international...

as for the nigerian BS spam (dear sir, I am the son of late general blah blah I have 100 millions blocked on an account etc...) people have bitten (we have stories...some got lighter of a few thousand dollars (necessary to start the process....ohohoho!), and apparently some went there (at least one we heard of) who has never returned...
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Dr. Doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The secret sefvice generally pretty busy. They're understaffed to begin with, and with all the different Nigerian latters floating around, they get swamped with all the e-mails they get sent.

Hopefully, you can get some of the scammers busted. I knew a guy who lost his business after that sort of Nigerian scam.

And if you ever wanted to know how the Nigerians plan things out, here's an ad for the 3rd Annual Nigerian EMail conference:

http://j-walk.com/other/conf/index.htm

I like the breasfast options: Your choice: A hard boiled egg, or two slices of white bread and a cricket.
Quote Reply
I know of one persons business that filed [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ch 11 I think because they bit, not that I knew them personally but it turned out that they were unable to pay our bills and this was why.

Ooooppps.
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
secret service to busy. hmm. if u only knew how much time these folks jerk around. i've drank a lot of beer with these folks and they have the time. now also i can tell you they may want to do something but they know what will be prosecuted and what won't. i spent 7 yrs as a cop and the only things i got taken care of by the feds that was under their jurisdiction was because i knew someone. if u raise enough hell someone will listen. trust me. anyway enough of that. if u don't find out for sure dan i'll send u an email of a budy in the ss who can for sure tell u where to go. that didn't sound to good did it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't wait to read the story about this episode. it sounds quite entertaining already.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Sep 6, 03 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Dan - as the Secret Service may have mentioned, it's very possible that nobody will show up to claim the goods if this particular scam is that they paid over the asking price and asked you to wire them the over-age. I mean, obviously you're not wiring them anything, but apparently part of the scam is that nobody ever actually shows up to pick up the stuff:

http://www.snopes.com/...er/scams/carsale.asp

Wacky.
Quote Reply
Re: Which law enforcement agency... [redneck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny. The agents I know average 60+ hour workweeks. There are people I know who worked 100+ consecutive days after the Twin Towers went down, and very few of those days were only eight hours.

But we're getting off track here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any law enforcement agency in your jurisdiction can arrest the offenders, provided they've established probable cause to do so. it's not necessary to contact secret service or any other federal agency. your local boys should do just fine. simply call them, tell them the story in brief and be able to document the fraud. they should be willing to help you set up the sting and arrest the bastards when they show.

under any penal code the crime you're speaking of is "theft" or "larceny". there might be some regiional variances, but it is a simple theft case in the end. call your local cops; they'll dig the action as being a bit unusual.

sv-
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's an article in today's(Sun) LA Times about Nigerian check scams.
Quote Reply

Prev Next