Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between VS Narrower with bottle Above???
Quote | Reply
For those in the know, which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between the bars OR Narrower Bars (whereas now the bottle doesn't fit anymore) with bottle Above (such as using a HED Lollipop or getting the bottle more horizontal and using a Speedfill Stem Cap)??? The previous statement all assumes either a regular bottle, Speedfill bottle, or X Lab bottle...

Another question - how does Profile Aeria stem system compare with this? Have one, but having a hard time getting the bars in narrow position due to the placement on the stem faceplate.

A note...
in the case of 'between the bars', the bars are currently tilted up about 15 degrees.

Thank you.

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Re: Which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between VS Narrower with bottle Above??? [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How narrow do you need to go? A bottle is barely 3.5 inches wide. I mean, most of us are crappy age groupers finshing 1-8 hrs behind Sam Laidlaw. Does it matter that much? Slightly wider may be a bit safer during training in cross winds and traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between VS Narrower with bottle Above??? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old setup has HED Lollipop putting bottle 'above' pads. New setup has a bottle barely fitting between the pads (they are already wider than old setup - crosswind haven't been issue on either). Wouldn't mind going narrower. Really curious for 'those in the know' that may have experimented with both in the tunnel...

Quote Reply
Re: Which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between VS Narrower with bottle Above??? [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're making decisions about these things in the name of speed, without testing you're just guessing.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between VS Narrower with bottle Above??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
If you're making decisions about these things in the name of speed, without testing you're just guessing.

hey that's my line!!!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Which is more aero - Wider Aerobars with bottle between VS Narrower with bottle Above??? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know.... BUT, I'd like to take an 'educationed guess' as meandering over to a windtunnel just isn't happening any time soon for me...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriChris14 wrote:
I know.... BUT, I'd like to take an 'educationed guess' as meandering over to a windtunnel just isn't happening any time soon for me...

honestly just flip a coin. too many factors in play for anyone to say with any certainty

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
TriChris14 wrote:

honestly just flip a coin. too many factors in play for anyone to say with any certainty

Stretching the question a bit, but I think there is a correct answer in cases like this. If it's truly just a coin flip, choose the most comfortable one that allows you to:

-output more power
-stay in the position longer

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a guessing game but there are some general rules that apply to this case.

-without any bottle the narrow elbows will usually be faster. Especially if you can get your shoulders shrugged and forward, which the narrow elbows often helps.

-adding a bottle between wide elbows will generally make the wide elbow position faster so long as the bottle is in the draft of the arms, but there's a huge variance here

-it's difficult to go from wide to narrow. It's easy to go from narrow to wide.

My rec would be to get your forarms touching and start testing from there. Find the position first and then learn to deal with it for the duration you need. Test again if you make any changes.
Quote Reply