Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..)
Quote | Reply
I am looking for the best software to analyze my run (pace, cadence, HR), bike (speed, power, HR, cadence), and someday swim (don't have a 910xt yet).

Ideally I would love one application that did all of it well. However from my research it seems like splitting up the bike and run to different application can result in access to better analysis tools (ie. Golden Cheetah for the bike data, SportTracks for the Run), no clue about the swimming analysis. BTW no coach and I don't care about sharing my data with anyone online and I use a 500 and 305.

So... what does everyone upload their workouts too?
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [jbugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unicorn ???
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [jbugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For swimming, you may also want to consider the Finis Swimsense device and the associated free online website and tool for analysis of pool swimming. The Swimsense doesn't do open water so you get to buy the 910 as well if you want more toys.

Jed

"If you want to ride by the Force, you had better make sure that you are a real Jedi." - FastYellow (6/13/2011)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gawd- I use so many, each for different things. Might as well throw 'Strava.com' in the list as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
I thought Tom D. only posted cute pictures over on BT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be biased but TrainingPeaks is the leader in overall analysis. Swim, bike, run and more. Try the free version and hit me up if you want a discount code to try go with the Premium Version or have any specific questions.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...athlete-edition.aspx

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:
gawd- I use so many, each for different things. Might as well throw 'Strava.com' in the list as well.

this...

that is why I post the unicorn!

For example:
1.- I like the visual of Garmin Connect Scheduel
2.- I like the power analysis on TP
3.- I like some of the power analysis on GC (and it's free)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use GC for the bike stuff, PT direct download and SRM via the SRM software.

I export all GC files to SportTracks (via fitlog files) where I also collect all running data from Garmin (via Ant agent history files).
Swimming also goes into SportTracks but only total distance&time, the details I put in the notes.

The 'big picture' is handled very well by SportTracks but the power analysis belongs to GC.

Another tidbit: I record weight&bodyfat with a 'Weight Tracker' app on my iPhone and mail myself the data (~biweekly) as a csv-file which is imported to SportTracks using the WTB-plugin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything goes into WKO+ for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion it depends on what level of analysis you want to do. If you want to build custom graphs, charts, etc... then WKO+ is a good bet. Personally I found it to be overkill and I can usually find all of the info I am looking for in Training Peaks premium version. While I used to use WKO+ more frequently, I have found that TP has really improved the analysis aspects of their product over the past couple of years to the point where I only rarely find myself looking for the additional sophistication of WKO+.

I think that the more sophisticated products are really only useful for cycling. Training Peaks works fine for running or tracking swim workouts.

You may get a better response if you are more specific about exactly what you are going to be analyzing, tracking, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
I export all GC files to SportTracks (via fitlog files)

Can I do this with the free version of SportsTracks

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raceday or Training Peaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
Nicko wrote:
I export all GC files to SportTracks (via fitlog files)

Can I do this with the free version of SportsTracks
I have paid $35 so I can't confirm, but I think you can.
*.fitlog seems to be the only file format that retains lap/interval marker(?)
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picking up on an older thread...

Personally I'm not looking to do a lot of specific analysis of any one individual workout (the level of detail available in Golden Cheetah and TrainingPeaks are more than I should allow myself to be consumed with). I'm a decent (top 5-10%) age group athlete and just want to be efficient and effective in my training. I currently use just Garmin Connect to monitor all of my training (automatic uploads from my 910XT and manual uploads from TrainingRoads using VirtualPower), but I haven't figured out how to use it effectively as anything more that a training diary. I would love to be able to follow weekly TSS (I have read of the drawbacks of this measure of training intensity but the reality seems to be that there really isn't anything much better for someone like me) for the combination of my swim, bike and run training. My goals are just to have a well controlled 4 week training cycle (3 week build, 1 week recover) without having to spend lots of money on computer programs or a coach.

Any tips on how to manually enter TSS for activities in GC? Any tips on how to measure/follow cumulative TSS weekly in GC? If this is not a reasonable way to follow training "volume" and rest, suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'm a big fan of raceday for its easy to read analysis, graphs, and immediate responses from Dr. Phil Skiba if you have a problem or question. Plus there are continuous free updates all the time to fix bugs. WKO is fine, sometimes too much information overload for me, if I were a coach I would use WKO more often for analysis as it prob goes into a little more depth.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I did some reading about Raceday today and it seems like an excellent program and as close to what I'm looking for that I've found. I downloaded a trial copy of today and bulk uploaded some .ctx files (from Garmin connect and TrainerRoad). The data seemed to be loaded, but there was no analysis done. I need to figure out how to upload .ctx files so that the data is analyzed. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.tcx? letters correct put in order the you must.
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what do you mean by analysis? The data tab should show you plenty of result fields. If you input your data correctly in the profile then the overview will give you a good idea of your response.
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.ctx, .tcx, .xct. Worked last night so suffering from sleep deprivation...

And I figured it out. I had not set the start date back far enough to include my past data. Must have had something to do with not reading the manual.
Quote Reply
Re: Which analysis software (WKO+, Garmin Connect, GTC, SportTracks, Training Peaks, PowerAgent, etc..) [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
.tcx? letters correct put in order the you must.

There's always a gem like this in every thread! Made me chuckle man! At least you guys know what those letters mean or are! I have no idea about that kind of shit. I download and look.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course what you really want is .xtc ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A minor bug of the program. When you import a new activity for that day, you have to open the Calendar Entry view before it will show in the Data graphs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the initial author: it has been quite some time, but in case you are using an iPhone or iPad, there is a new iOS app that provides analysis for running, biking, swimming and so on. It's called Trainalyse: http://www.trainalyse.com
It provides per track analysis like time in zones, plotter and so on, but there are also aggregated statistics.
There is a free lite version. So you might just try if it fits your needs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next