Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which aero bars?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a recommendation for a basebar with upturned bullhorn-type handlebars? I have a stock 2012 Felt B12. The tritip grips it came with wouldn’t stay put no matter what I did, so I replaced them with bar tape, but I still feel like I’m gonna slide off the front when braking (I’m a pretty heavy guy). I’m kind of a weak handler and a nervous descender, so I’d like to have something to hold onto a little bit in technical bits on courses. I’m sure there’s an aero penalty for these, but I’d rather feel comfortable going through the turns. Aluminum is fine, but I’d like to be able to go Di2 down the road. Thanks!

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero bars? [ThomasTheGreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put some skateboard tape on the top.

Or ask in the classified section if you want to go used. Lot's of options out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero bars? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly I’m being dumb here, but won’t that tear up your hands?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThomasTheGreat wrote:
Yes. It will. There are some bar tapes that are pretty sticky- that might help. Otherwise, just go on a couple of the online bike shop sites. There are tons of options and price ranges to look at.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero bars? [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I’m seeing seems to be flat these days. Do you have any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Profile Prosvet that has slight upturn. I like that. Ozero looks nice too, but I haven't ridden one. Lots of options if you Google. Depends on budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have the Ozero aluminum on my bike. Rides fine. Feels exactly like riding on the hoods of a road bike.

You get a look at it in my build thread....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6710491

I also agree with the racket over grip tape suggestion below. It's very sticky, cheap, lots of color options. I used two. Layers on the basebar for a little more cushion.

Can you just tilt you existing basebar up 10 degrees or so. Probably a little less aero, but you already said you don't care. Cheaper and less hassle than replacing the basebar. Might be good enough with the sticky overgrip tape.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 16, 18 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squash racket grip tape
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThomasTheGreat wrote:

Not IME. But I don't spend a lot of time on the basebar.
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero bars? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I see. I'm easing back in after an abdominal surgery and a long layoff after, so I'm counting on spending even more time on them than usual as I try to get used to the aero. Re: tilting it-- that's a good idea, but I can't seem to get comfortable. I'm thinking I may have to just redo the fit anyway because of the surgery, so it seems like a good opportunity to change bars anyway.

I think I'll try the ozero. Your bike looks awesome-- Are you using the J5 bracket there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could take a look at the 3T Revo which is a pretty unique take. 3T Vola alloy bar is upturned and won't break the bank either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about building up a similar nub with something under the bar tape? Even just some extra squares of bar tape at the front of the grip?
Quote Reply
Re: Which aero bars? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried that a couple times in a few different ways, but even when I had the rubber grip nub, I didn’t feel super secure. The problem is really with my body and comfort level— I’m sure the bar is fine for most people.
Quote Reply