Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Type of Work Stand?
Quote | Reply
So I'm looking at getting a work stand, but I'm wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are of using a stand like this:

[url]http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PRS%2D21[/url]
versus a classic workstand like this:
[url]http://parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=23&item=PRS%2D15[/url]

Any input?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [TriBear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both types.

It depends on the type of bikes you own and if you like taking a wheel or two off the bike before you work on it. The portability of both these stands may not be important to you, there are cheaper versions from diff manufacturers as well.

If you have a full carbon bike, you are not supposed to use most of the traditional stand clamps on any of the carbon tubes (or even thin wall aluminum frames) - or be extremely careful or use the seatpost insert stand thingie where applicable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had several AND I'm a huge fan of almost everything Park does - but, without question, the best repair stand you can get for you home is an Ultimate Pro Elite Repair Stand. Ultimate specializes in stands for music (drum kits, microphones, guitars, etc) but they make the best bike stand out there.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd figure out the brand of stand I'd get later - I was curious as to a comparison between the two types, the "clamp the seatpost/top tube" or "rest on the BB and clamp the front wheel" types.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Ultimate Pro Elite. Got mine off of Ebay a few years back and love it. It's very adjustable and lightweight (I pack it in my car for races). And when you're all done, it collapses so it's easy to store.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third.
Ultimate is the best stand out there.
It's un-tippable and it will clamp on anything, regardless of shape so it's great for aero bikes w/ weird seat posts.
Last edited by: bigadam: Oct 6, 07 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll join the crowd: Ultimate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I going with your first choice. My bike is all carbon and I don't trust the clamp versions. With the Super Lite Race Stand, there is no need to clamp the bike anywhere.

Yup, this one gets my vote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started as a mechanic in 1976...seen em all ; got myself that same park two years ago ...great tool ...you can work the BB ...tape the bars ...solid stable .....real pro stand..will last ....go for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Park does some good stuff and they're a local company for me, so I support them as much as possible, but when it comes to repair stands, I think Ultimate is more functional. The tripod bse is useful for working outside on uneven ground, the clamp is much more TT bike/carbon/thin-aluminum friendly, and it's very portable. They've come out with variations on their original stand, but I think the original is the best. I own a compact stand personally... I don't see a reason that it would need to be bigger or taller (I'm 6'2")

DO NOT get the pro stand from Park. It's not as friendly as it appears.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [The Dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone here used this stand CLICK HERE it from Island Bikes on Ebay. It pretty inexpensive, but is made of mostly plastic...might be hard to pass up at $88.00 though!?!?

Here's a couple pix:

"The faster you get, the harder it is to get faster."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're a tri and road store and a few years ago had to convert one of our stands to a PRS-20 because so many bikes should not be clamped around a post or tube. Fast forward - now 90% of the stands we use in the store have been converted to the PRS-20. We find them to be quite user friendly and durable enough for busy shop use. Park is a great company with standing behind their product as well.

Moving ahead more and more bikes are not going to work well in standard stands. Think long and hard about your future bike purchases before getting something like the Ultimate (which, by the way, is a great stand. Just needs to be updated, in my opinion.)

Joe Santos

Davis Wheelworks | dW˛ Facebook | dW˛ Twitter

BMC | Boardman | Cervélo | Felt | Lapierre | Atomic High Performance | ENVE | HED. | SRM | Stages | Zipp
Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [sonnylowe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sonny, i have that stand and hate it! don't waste your money. i asked the guy i was buying it from if it had a clamp like the park stand they have in the shop, he said yes, not even close. if you want details lemme know, IMHO, don't.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck,

Thanks for the reply and the warning...I'll take your advice and skip it.

Regards,
Sonny

In Reply To:
sonny, i have that stand and hate it! don't waste your money. i asked the guy i was buying it from if it had a clamp like the park stand they have in the shop, he said yes, not even close. if you want details lemme know, IMHO, don't.

"The faster you get, the harder it is to get faster."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I have and love it.

Tacx T3050 CycleSpider Team Repair Stand ... $164.88

http://www.lickbike.com/...RT_NUM_SUB='2644-05'

Quote Reply
Re: Which Type of Work Stand? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I going with your first choice. My bike is all carbon and I don't trust the clamp versions. With the Super Lite Race Stand, there is no need to clamp the bike anywhere.

Yup, this one gets my vote:

There is a reason why so many ProTour teams use this stand. It works great! Mounting the bike on the BB also gives you the added benefit of having 360degree accesability, which is nice to have, especially in tight places. The stand is very compact and portable and fits neatly in your car to take to races or folds down easily for out-of-the way storage.

The only draw-back that I can think of is that it takes slightly longer to mount the bike vs. a clamp style stand. If you are not in a hurry, this isn't a big issue.

Quote Reply