Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which North American IM course can you train on?
Quote | Reply
I was reading Texas isn't any good due to it being on a freeway. I also did Sweden a few year ago (Yes I know not USA) and whilst the roads were open it was just too dangerous to ride on them.

So which course can you ride most days of the year with out a high risk of being killed?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mont Tremblant. They're making it a training destination by marking the bike course year-round as a bike lane and the run is largely on a path that is also open year-round
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maryland
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Wisconsin roads are mostly country roads, perfect for training. Lots of folks go up to Madison to pre-ride the course.

Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Mont Tremblant. They're making it a training destination by marking the bike course year-round as a bike lane and the run is largely on a path that is also open year-round

Most of that course is on an expressway. Are they adding a bike lane to that? Even if they do there are places in MT I would rather ride than the edge of an expressway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I was reading Texas isn't any good due to it being on a freeway. I also did Sweden a few year ago (Yes I know not USA) and whilst the roads were open it was just too dangerous to ride on them.

So which course can you ride most days of the year with out a high risk of being killed?

You can S/B/R the whole course any day in Lake Placid.

While many other sites, assumingly, you can B/R without much issues, does many allow the full swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louisville

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman LP. The summer weekends have lots of athletes riding the course. We've done it too! A few training camps happening the months before IMLP as well.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Lake Placid. Was up there for a week last year training, and honestly fell in love with the place. Hard to beat the view from the end of the swim course in Mirror Lake looking at the backdrop of the mountains. Pretty damn awesome.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMAZ on the Beeline.

For the life of me I can't understand the desire to train on the course.

To no one in particular and lots of triathletes in general:

People just go do your fucking workouts. Having race specific fitness matters 100,000x more than riding the course. If you're fit you'll be able to ride any course.

A high level of fitness flattens any hill, reduces every headwind, lowers the demands of any extreme temps or weather conditions.

There is no substitute for increasing your fitness.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 29, 19 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

All of them on Rouvy if you can handle the trainer that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you asking for full IM or including 70.3 races? Since a lot of 140.3 races involve loops on the same course its worth considering.

You can train on about half of the Oceanside 70.3 course quite safely, with the added bonus its quite pretty. Superfrog course too, but its kinda boring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They uploaded hte course maps for IMTC. Those roads and path are something a guy/gal could train on all year.
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IMAZ on the Beeline.

People just go do your fucking workouts. Having race specific fitness matters 100,000x more than riding the course. If you're fit you'll be able to ride any course.

A high level of fitness flattens any hill, reduces every headwind, lowers the demands of any extreme temps or weather conditions.

I understand why people train on the Beeline, I've just started doing it. It's a super long road with not a whole lot of lights, a good shoulder and motorists used to seeing cyclists. The same can be said for Usery Pass and Hunt Highway near the Beeline as well.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IMAZ on the Beeline.

^^ This was my first thought when I read it. Too many, especially here in Madison, wear out the curse training here, when there is very little benefit. Training on course is vastly over rated and often a poor choice.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Canada...at least, after the snow melts. Main part of the course is the 99 highway which has a wide shoulder on both sides and cyclists are common. Only thing I dont know is if there's a good spot to turn around at the south end of the new course during a training ride. I'll be checking it out soon enough though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder both full and half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
IMAZ on the Beeline.

Its more when you travel a long way and are there leading into the event, if you can ride it once, you know what to expect. I don't want to go and train on it every weekend.

I just don't want shocks on race day.

For example, Ironman Australia surface in areas is potholes that have been patch over and over. If you ride on aerobars through these sections, you will crash. There is also a dirty big f'ing hill that if around a blind corner. If you aren't really hitting that corner hard, you'll most likely walk up the hill.

So that's the desire to train on the course.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone was just hit on the Hunt hwy:(

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CDA 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Someone was just hit on the Hunt hwy:(

That sucks.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Which North American IM course can you train on? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While on an expressway, there is a very nice shoulder with plenty of room. However, it is not the most scenic of stretches
Quote Reply

Prev Next