Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Modern Tri/TT Superbikes Accept Third-party Aero Base Bars?
Quote | Reply
I am hoping to build a bike around the Aerocoach Phaser base bar. Like the discontinued 3T Revo bars, I like the backwards flared bars for increased control, to be less worried about losing my grip while hitting a bump going around a corner. These bars are "compatible with any bike that has a 31.8mm stem, so long as the face plate of the stem does not exceed 12mm"

In general I am looking to build a bike that prioritizes handling and control and am willing to trade a small handful of watts in aerodynamics to meet that goal.
I would also like it to have a threaded BB and decent integrated hydration option.

I was excited by the new BMC Speedmachine's advertising but their support team got back to me saying that the bike only works with their own base bar, which matches what I saw in the technical manual for that bike.

The only option that seems a definite fit is the Quintana Roo V-PR/X-PR. I am not sure about the Trek Speed Concept or Pinarello Bolide TR, although they both meet the treaded BB requirement. I suppose I could also build up an aero road bike frame with the aerobars.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Modern Tri/TT Superbikes Accept Third-party Aero Base Bars? [colin449] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are going to have some requirements as far as stem clamp thickness and space behind the steerer tube, but at least the Alpha One fits on both the bikes you mentioned. Some creative front brake cable routing might be required, but they mount.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Which Modern Tri/TT Superbikes Accept Third-party Aero Base Bars? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been a gripe I have about the Trinity pro tt that I have. The proprietary base bar mounting. The base bar is fine as-is, there's just options and things you can do with other base bars that aren't proprietary.

I feel like this all came about because bike makers needed a reason to claim the huge front nose/headtube fairings they have weren't fairings, but structural parts of mounting base bars or something to justify that it isn't part of the airfoil ratio. If it mounted normally with a 31.8 nothing could really justify all that.

In terms of being "modern" but not "superbike" due to being open mold, pretty sure there's several of the open mold rim or disc brake Aliexpress framesets that you could use something like an Alphaone on or your own basebar since they use a shallow height aero-ish stem with normal round basebar mounting.

FWIW, I own that 3T base bar in question mounted on a "trainer turd" track bike frame. I rode that on the trainer in erg last year with a freewheel adapter. When I took rests on the base bar, yes it felt more secure as in I didn't feel I had to grip the bar as hard for sliding, as I never put any grip tape or even bar tape on it. BUT, using it to keep your hands sliding forward (since mine did when sweaty with zero bar tape) it was NOT a pleasant feeling having the bar digging into the pad between your thumb and pointer finger.

Mind you, great bar, but I wasn't entirely sold on the "not slip off the front" ergonomics of that. I almost feel like if a base bar has one of those aero "bumps" installed just behind the brakes that would feel better. They're usually silicone or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Modern Tri/TT Superbikes Accept Third-party Aero Base Bars? [colin449] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also ordered the same bars but for my ribble rim build and will use a PD stem.

As far as disc bike the Felt IAX could be an option or Vitus Auro otherwise there's the p series style design with stem not integrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Modern Tri/TT Superbikes Accept Third-party Aero Base Bars? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That trek is awesome looking!
nice job

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply