Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which MP3 player for running
Quote | Reply
Just a follow up to the thread on bluetooth headphones. The general trend there seemed to be :

#1 - Apple Airpods
#2 - Jabra Active Elite 65t

But, what does everyone prefer for the MP3 player?

I want to cut the cord between MP3 and headphones but there is no way I am running around with my iPhone strapped to my arm. I currently use an old iPhone Shuffle with a clip. I want something small that will work with Airpods or the Jabra Elite. There seems to be a gap in the market for this. I looked at the Sandisk MP3 player but the sound quality was supposed to be a bit shady on bluetooth.

Any recommendations?

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I will say the following. I worked on programming the Bluetooth stack in oh say 2003, I used Bluetooth in ways people never dreamed... I still use headphones that are corded. I tried again to go Bluetooth last year to evaluate where we are, I still prefer corded. I did try the Sandisk Clip Sport MP3, I have used Sandisk for the past 17 years. The best device ever was the SanDisk Clip+ loaded with RockBox after-market firmware. This assumes you manage your own music which I do. I have since switched to the SanDisk Clip Sport, mainly because the Clip+ is hard too source, and in late spring to early fall the Clip+ gets nuked by humidity in Florida. I do like the Clip Sport. I don't need the bigger color screen, I don't need the Bluetooth support but I found the Bluetooth sound to be good enough... I just don't like having one more thing to charge, and my corded headphones are the bee's knees. If you manage your own music, I still think the Sandisk Clip Sport is the best device on the market.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus one for SanDisk (I also preferred the Clip+ with Rockbox, but cant get them anymore). I went through 2 Clip sports quite fast - IMO sweat killed them too quickly. Clip Jams are smaller, no colour screen (not an issue), and at least for me are more durable.

> my corded headphones are the bee's knees

Which ones do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the decision-making process right now.

Previous set up-Ipod Nano 7th generation with chorded headphones, 920 watch and HR strap. That's a lot going on for a run. I just switched to Garmin 645 and true wireless headphones. If I can actually get this to work, I'm real excited about having fewer items to have attached to my body, stuffed in tri shorts etc.

I am still in the process of finding a good pair of true wireless headphones. I thought I had "the ones" picked out and then they wouldn't stay paired during a run--I mean, like no sound whatsoever even though the music was perfect if I stopped running and walked. If you don't want a watch with music, the Ipod Nano 7th (or 8th) generation is Bluetooth so still a very good option. But, I figured, the price of a Garmin watch with music is about the same as a garmin watch and Ipod combo.
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge fan of MP3 player because I don't want to carry my phone when I workout. I've been using several of them and get this.

1. Waterproof, so you can use it for swim as well.
2. If you use regular headphone for running sound quality is good. Waterproof ear buds that come with have so so quality sound.
3. Rechargeable battery and it lasts pretty long.
4. 8GB of memory
5. Shuffle or regular play mode
6. Super small and light
7. 1300+ people bought it and have good reviews.

This is all you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YKTD1Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is an MP3 Player and can it share my run photos to Instagram? /pink

Sorry this is not a helpful post, it just got me thinking about MP3 players in general. Unless I get into collecting records, I am pretty confident I will never "own" music ever again. Instead of reinventing the iPad Mini, the market gap may be better filled with a "Spotify Mini" or something to that effect.

The right MP3 solution may be out there for you, but if not, I would look into more eloquent ways to carry your phone than an arm band.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you stream music using Spotify (might require premium), then the Mighty has been making the rounds.
https://bemighty.com/products/mighty

I know v1 was plagued with issues, that they seem to have sorted out with v2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my iPod shuffle died after several years of use, I also decided to try and go wireless. I ended up with an iPod shuffle and Jaybird X3 combo. Overall, it works okay but I've been underwhelmed. I find that I have to be careful about where I stash the Nano or else the audio with cut in and out, as it doesn't seem to like certain pocket materials or locations. Sometimes I end up just carrying it, which kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Anymore, I really don't run with music/headphones unless it's a really long run or the occasional treadmill session. When I do listen to something nowadays it tends to be an audiobook or podcast - that way I can still keep up with some reading even when training volume is higher.

If I hadn't decided to get rid of Spotify premium, I think I would look into the Mighty Vibe as others have mentioned already - especially if they have fixed some of the bugs from the original.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't people just running with their iPhones and AirPods now-a-days? I don't own an iPhone, but if I did, I'd probably try and figure out a way to run with it where it doesn't get in the way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there aren't many MP3 player options left. As Thomas says, the Sandisk is the best of those for price and sound quality. But it doesn't support the APTX Bluetooth standard, so sound quality is going to be poor.
Players that do support APTX tend to be on the pricey side, like the FiiO M7 for $200, etc. That's more than I want to spend for something I'll be sweating on.

With BT you get all the joys of pairing, unpairing, repairing, etc etc. Plus charging the headphones. I haven't found any reliable BT implementation yet, in any of the devices I've tried.. so wires is good, for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not released yet, but I'm keeping my eye out for the new AfterShokz Xtrainerz (https://www.cnet.com/...r-swimmers-ces-2019/)

On the pricey side for an mp3 player, but I don't bring my phone with me when I run, and I like the idea of the bone induction.

Currently, I use the Sony mp3 earbuds (NW-WS413), although they make a few different versions, including ones which can double as bluetooth headphones. I've gone through a few models of these over the years, and I've been very happy with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. I have a phone, but who wants to carry that on a run, especially if you're trying to run fast. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Bragi Dash pros. They are expensive, but kill two birds with one stone. Totally wireless Bluetooth headphones, and a built in mp3 player. There's plenty of memory for all the music I want and they have some other cool features as well. They have never fallen out.
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [AboveGround] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must be getting older every day. :) I'm still on wired headphones and a SanDisk Sansa MP3 player. I've got a bazillon of those MP3 players...mostly from eBay, but the prices on Rockbox-compatible devices are pretty insane - more than the list price from many years ago - suggesting that there is a marker out there... My experience is that the Clip Sport has been pretty robust - I run with it in a jersey or shorts pocket, so usually pretty humid when finished. I've burned through a few but the one I am using now is indestructible and, of course, the screen does not work unless you press hard in just the right spot. The Clip Jam seems to be a great value and I have one, but have not run with it much, so durability in that application is unknown. The best *sounding* are the Clip, Clip+ and Clip Zip (all long discontinued, but all Rockboxable). These were tough, great sounding devices. The Clip has no mSD slot and is very old, so pretty much prehistoric. The Clip+ has an mSD card slot and is almost as old, but still worth seeking out for the expandability. The Clip Zip added a color screen, reducing play time, but this is the most sophisticated Sansa MP3 player in a small form factor...color screen, mSD slot, Rockboxable - this is the one to get (but I've killed many running with them - they are not designed for humid, wet, stinky work). So, I run with a Clip Sport - the music quality isn't quite at the level of the earlier devices, but c'mon - if you are concerned about the musical nuances between early and later Sansas, you are not running hard enough. I have not tried the Clip Sport Plus (Bluetooth) but hope to...
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [stax88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep on hoping someone finds a way to hack the Mighty so you can use your own mp3’s and not need Spotify premium

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the sandisk to. I buy at best buy with geek squad protection. They never last more than a year so they just keep on repacing. I use bose wired ear buds. The wire bundled in my hat with sandisk clipped to back of hat,
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have people been using the SanDisk with the AirPods? I thought I read on a forum somewhere that there were issues with some of them not linking up correctly

I’m still using an 8 year old wired Shuffle but I know it’s probably only a matter of time before it eventually goes.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
I want to cut the cord between MP3 and headphones but there is no way I am running around with my iPhone strapped to my arm.

I carry an iPhone. It is not strapped to my arm (like you, I shudder at the thought). It sits in a pocket of my running shorts (many different brands) at the small of my back. I don't notice it. It doesn't bounce. But it's there if someone needs me or I need someone. And lo and behold it plays music.

Somebody will chime in imminently and say that you're not a real runner if you carry a phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are not a real runner if you carry a phone. :)
Last edited by: giorgitd: Feb 4, 19 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry my iPhone....in my hand! I swap hands every mile or so. On the rare occasion I listen to music, I just use the external speakers and turn the volume up. Crappy sound but enough to make a boring session not quite so bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's definitely not the cost effective route but since the thread on the bluetooth earbuds I set up the streaming from my fenix 5+ and I have no complaints with the playback. Loading it up with music is a touch clunky but easy to do. It may be simpler than I experienced since that was my first time doing it though.

It was really nice not lugging my phone around with me at the gym since that is where I tend to listen to music and with the size of phones these days they are quite a pain in the ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [fatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fatman wrote:
Plus one for SanDisk (I also preferred the Clip+ with Rockbox, but cant get them anymore). I went through 2 Clip sports quite fast - IMO sweat killed them too quickly. Clip Jams are smaller, no colour screen (not an issue), and at least for me are more durable.

> my corded headphones are the bee's knees

Which ones do you use?

I still use the MDS-AS35w by Sony which has been discontinued for years. Once $19.99 via retail, these go for $80-$200 all day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not be more happy with my Fenix 5x Plus. Best bit of sports technology I’ve ever owned. I pair it with Jaybird X3 and sometimes my Jaybird Runs. If spending that much money is not in the budget my wife has the Spotify Boss player and it works quite well also. You do need Spotify Premium for it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
You are not a real runner if you carry a phone. :)

I have to say, I am kind of in agreement on that elitist comment! :) I have never seen a good runner carrying a phone. Good looking yes, good runner, no. And even the good looking ones would look better without the phone.

It would seem like there is not much of a great answer.

To those with Spotify streaming .... I travel full time. Don't have access to wifi, just data. How do you stream spotify on the move? Or do you do a Netflix style temporary download? Either way, that will likely not work for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grabbed a used ipod 7 nano and pair it with my bluetooth headphones (Jaybirds). works good for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Which MP3 player for running [macbain_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
macbain_tri wrote:
I grabbed a used ipod 7 nano and pair it with my bluetooth headphones (Jaybirds). works good for me.

I think the old nano may be the way to go ... 7th gen correct?

Quote Reply

Prev Next