Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Which Hawaiian island?
Quote | Reply
I’m looking for advice re Hawaiian islands. I finally qualified for my first big dance and I’m taking the whole family: wife and kids aged 10, 8, 4. Unfortunately, Aussie school holidays mean that the ‘holiday’ part of our trip will be the 2wks before the race rather than after. Not ideal for race prep but I’m not in it to podium. The 2nd week will be on the big island but I’m looking for advice on where to spend the week prior to that. There are a number of factors that will influence the decision (surf being the most important) but what I’m hoping this forum will provide is just advice on which island (out of Maui and Kauai) is better for training 2wks out from the race.
Thanks and aloha.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not Kauai.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
not Kauai.

Maui.. way way before Kauai.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’m really interested to know why though. I was actually leaning towards Kauai (for other reasons) but is it going to be super tough to train there? Was thinking of being around Hanalei Bay / Princeville.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't been to Maui, but just got back from 10 days in Kauai. I don't think I recommend Kauai as as training base in the weeks leading up to the race.

It was an amazing place to visit, but biking would be a significant challenge. The vast majority of the roads on Kauai are two lane roads with a very small shoulder (even the Kuhio highway that runs around the island). We hardly saw any bikers out on the roads, and when we did it wasn't people out for a long training ride.

Running would probably be OK - there are a couple running paths/trails (up to 10 miles one way), and running on the roads is ok. In terms of swimming - you'd be swimming in the ocean, Hanalei Bay would be fine for swimming. We didn't go looking for a pool, but I don't think there's much in terms of pool infrastructure.

That being said for a family holiday it's amazing. Lots of great hikes, different towns to explore. We had a great time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:
Thanks. I’m really interested to know why though. I was actually leaning towards Kauai (for other reasons) but is it going to be super tough to train there? Was thinking of being around Hanalei Bay / Princeville.

Kauai has been devastated by heavy rains/floods that have knocked out access to Hanalei and beyond (you can get to Hanalei now but you can’t go beyond Waikoko). I’m sure they will do their utmost to repair things quickly, but October will come quickly, and it’s hard to say what will be open/accessible there. The South Shore (Poipu) is ok after the rains, though, and provides easy access to Waimea Canyon (which is open). The only thing currently inaccessible on the south/west side is Polihale.
I’m sure they could use the tourist dollars.

Maui has plenty of cool things to do, though. You can’t go wrong with either of those options. Note, though, that there are lots of flights between Maui and Kona, whereas your nonstop (i.e., not going through Honolulu) options between Kauai and Kona are more limited - check out Hawaiian Airlines for that option.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [thomeeboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your best cycling options are if you stay in Poipu - the road out west past Kekaha has a good shoulder and is lightly traveled - even riding up Waimea Canyon from Kekaha is fine (don’t take the steep road from Waimea).

But yeah, limited cycling options was one of the reasons we didn’t buy our retirement home on Kauai and instead went to the Big Island. We do love visiting Kauai, though.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui easily. Much better bike friendly roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As many people have already said, Maui is exponentially better for biking and running than Kauai.

But Oahu has the best surf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazman wrote:

If you were choosing an island to go to after the race, Kauai is the one I'd choose. But, since you need to go there and train, Maui is where you should go.

As others have stated, very limited options regarding safe biking on Kauai. Maui, on the other hand, has tons of fun places to bike, run, and swim. The road from Kihei to Lahaina has a nice wide shoulder the entire way so easy riding. I like to ride from the Lahaina side of the island better than the Wailea end. But, you can pretty much get to either side from wherever.

Congratulations on Kona and enjoy the trip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gazman don't get me wrong, Kauai is by far my favorite island. It just sucks for training, ESPECIALLY on the north shore. We were there for 8 days and got out just before the flooding. The road from Hanalei to Princeville is one lane each way with a small shoulder. It's also windy and hilly, and what I'd call dangerous. Probably more so due to the flash floods - when I was there they had a HUGE tree trunk in the shoulder that they were still cutting up, 2 weeks after it crashed down the hill. When you get past Hanalei going west, there is no way on earth I'd ride or even run that - no room to speak of. I saw a couple runners and they scared the crap out of me coming around the turns. Not to mention I don't know the state of the Hanalei flooding as of today - it was under water 10 days ago.

The road from Princeville to, say, Kapa'a is better but still only one lane and a bike lane. Also somewhat hilly. Beautiful but not what I'd call ideal training grounds. And in Kapa'a, you're going to encounter the Kapa'a crawl - where all the traffic from north to south and vice versa converge, again into 1 lane. And it's pretty constant throughout the day from 7.30 am - 8 or 9 pm. So slow traffic, but with the ever- present possibility of someone pulling out in front of you to hit a side street or something. Beautiful running just north of Kapa'a on the pedestrian path.

I can't speak to Poipu, we've never stayed there. If it was me personally I'd find a way to race the Big Island first then relax on Kauai, but I realize this might not be in the cards for you.

Feel free to PM me with questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [thomeeboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thomeeboy wrote:
Haven't been to Maui, but just got back from 10 days in Kauai. I don't think I recommend Kauai as as training base in the weeks leading up to the race.

It was an amazing place to visit, but biking would be a significant challenge. The vast majority of the roads on Kauai are two lane roads with a very small shoulder (even the Kuhio highway that runs around the island). We hardly saw any bikers out on the roads, and when we did it wasn't people out for a long training ride.

I lived there for 3 years. Every ride was a life and death adventure. One main road, no shoulder (covered with debris), distracted tourists and delivery trucks in a hurry...

But, if you were to stay on Kauai the best part for riding would be the SW side which isn't so popular with tourists. Great climbing routes too.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone - these are exactly the details that internet research can't reliably tell you so thank you all for that. There seems to be a very strong consensus here that I'd be crazy to ignore. Although I was really keen on Kauai for other reasons, I've decided to briefly go to the north shore of Oahu before spending just over a week on the west coast of Maui. Arriving in Kona on the Tuesday before the race. Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks again,
G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the thread is turning towards Maui, I’ll put a vote in for Napil Bay. We stay at Napili Kai annually to enjoy OWS in the bay and great cycling up and around the west end of the island. Plus the wife and kids are safe, sound and content enjoying the beauty that is Napili beach.

Where to stay:
https://www.napilikai.com
http://www.napilishores.com/

What to do:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14005267
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/17092177
https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/1459911152

Maybe you'll get lucky and find Honolua Bay is breaking. Alternatively, it's a great snorkel.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Apr 29, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have Donnie and the guys from Maui cyclery (near Maui airport, bike shop is in Paia) take you out for a day or two with some of their small group guided rides to get a lay of the land in terms of best climbs and safe routes. Couldn’t recommend more, well worth it. Some of most memorable riding I’ve ever done was in Maui.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys.
Don't want to create a new thread, so will ask here.

Will race Kona this year.
Never been there, will bring all my family, including a kid. Probably they won't visit Hawaii again near future, because it's quite expensive trip from Europe.
So,
1)Is it ok to fly to Kona 12 days prior the race, train there, then race.
2) Then fly to Kauai, 2-3 days there.
3)Then fly to Maui, 2-3 days there and then flight back home.

What would you change?

No Honolulu in my plan, and all flights are with the bike case.
Generally want to explore the nature, visiting the parks and surf. And don't want to make it super-expensive.
Thanks.
Last edited by: NickMa: Jan 20, 20 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12 days in front of Kona is fine, in fact you will catch the last bit of some semblance of the natural island(maybe two days) As for the other two, skip Maui and just stay 5 or 6 days on Kauai, or the reverse. To me it is a pointless travel day for just a couple. Get to one of those other ones and really get to see and feel it. You could do the 2/3 days I Poipu, and then head to the other side in Hanelai/Princeville and finish up there. It should be cheaper than Maui too, but if money no object, you can head over there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't care about biking that first week, Kauai is a great place to visit. There are great beaches, good hiking at the Canyon and an abundance of houses to rent. We have a place in Poipu (sunniest part of the Island) and I spend 2-4 weeks here each winter. During that time, I run, hike and swim. No bike with me for the reasons mentioned. Roads are especially bad this year.

One caveat, it can rain a lot in Kauai. Like a week at a time. This year it rained for almost 3 weeks before we arrived. Now, projected sun the next 10 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't try to fit 3 islands in that window, so maybe pick one of Kauai or Maui. I loved Maui; the road to Hana and the drive on the north shore were amazing, as were the beaches near Kihea. "Super-expensive" is all relative, but island hopping with a family in tow is not going to be cheap by any stretch.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 Days on the big island is very long, many people find there is more to do and better beach/paradise activities to be done in Maui and Kauai. That’s not to say the BI isn’t great but I think you’d be largely undercutting the other islands and the family would get bored after a week on the BI. I know my wife would never let us stay that long although I’d sure love to be training on the actual course that long.

I’d personally do a week on Maui (or Kauai) to start off, then a week on the BI, and finish in Kauai or Maui for a few days. Could do BI first but you probably want more time to acclimate. Can still train plenty on Maui and then check out the bike and run course once you’re in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BI?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
BI?
Big Island

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the detailed information!

Then I will probably come to BI as planned (~12 days before the race), and my family join me 3 days before the race.
After the race, we will go on Maui or Kauai for several days and that's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big island is easy. but maui has great riding as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Hawaiian island? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
not Kauai.

ditto.

We like Kauai much more than Maui for vacation, but not for training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next