Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to go with my bike upgrade?
Quote | Reply
I currently have an old Cervelo P2C (2007ish) which is starting to show some wear and should probably be replaced fairly soon. I don’t have a huge budget, but I also don’t want to buy something I’ll soon regret, so I’d like to ask other people’s opinion on what they think I should buy.

At the moment I have a 2007 p2c frameset, a gxp quarq power meter, a tririg alpha x cockpit, 11 speed Shimano mechanical groupset and some flo 60/90 rim brake wheels.

My main questions are: how big of an upgrade is an integrated cockpit? And should I try and change to disc brakes?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go with my bike upgrade? [josh_love] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your current race wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go with my bike upgrade? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The flo 60/90 are my only wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think you're losing out on anything with an alpha x over an integrated cockpit. I'm contemplating the same switch as you, moving from a p2c to something else in the next year. Right now I'm looking at either a QR PR5 rim frameset and a profile aeria ultimate cockpit, or try and find a p5 frame and build it with a similar setup. The p5 is one of the fastest bikes ever without any major integration. No, you cant use the front brake board without the aduro bar, but that's why I'm going with the aeria ultimate stem and hydration unit. You could use the stem and hydration with the alpha x bar still, and you're good. Unless you have a big budget, I dont see why you'd switch to disc brakes right now when you can swap over all your components with rim brakes and end up with way more bike for the money
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go with my bike upgrade? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what the guy above said.

You might want to consider a disc cover for the rear wheel or a real disc wheel on the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you put some of the TriRig brakes on there it would be about as fast a bike as you can have with little cash outlay.

I think you are really at the upgrade cross road. I figure most of the market will be transitioned over to disc in the next year or so. Really only Trek is last major brand without a disc Tri/TT bike. Now you could get someone's clean P5 or Speed Concept for reasonably cheap or just bite the bullet and go full disc and maybe move to 12 sp at the same time. You kept the P2 for a long time so maybe getting something new that you can use for the next decade makes since.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go with my bike upgrade? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I did manage to fit a p5 frameset into my budget I’d have to use the aduro bars? What exactly is the brake board, the aero faring for the brake?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to go with my bike upgrade? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention, I do have a disc cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
josh_love wrote:
So if I did manage to fit a p5 frameset into my budget I’d have to use the aduro bars? What exactly is the brake board, the aero faring for the brake?

No. You can probably find some pictures of people running the TriRigs under the stock fairing. You can do the P5-3 and run whatever you want for brakes and bars. A little less aero but way easier to deal with. The 5-3 tends to be much cheaper as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you could use your tririg bars. The brake beard is part of the front fairing, although it isnt necessary, mostly cosmetic. Could make up the difference with the aeria ultimate stem/hydration. Seen a p5 frameset for $750, so they're not necessarily particularly expensive, if disc brakes are an option than I kinda assumed a used p5 frameset was.
Quote Reply