Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon?
Quote | Reply
Let's say you're alone, where do you keep your i.d, wallet and other stuff when your racing?
Thank you.
Last edited by: neelc21: Apr 26, 18 0:24
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [neelc21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the car. And hide the key somewhere.

I have been thinking about getting something like this: https://surflogic.com/key-locks/
Last edited by: Fusion: Apr 25, 18 23:08
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [neelc21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't do triathlons, but bike races, and generally leave my wallet in the car and the car unlocked. Sometimes I'll lock the car and either hide the key or carry it.

When I ride to an event, I usually carry a backpack and leave personal items in it on the ground somewhere. At races around here there is usually a pile where people leave their bags, so I put my bag in the pile.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when you're racing in a triathlon? [neelc21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neelc21 wrote:
Let's say your alone, where do you keep your passport, wallet and other stuff when your racing?
Thank you.

Corrected - Let's say you're alone, where do you keep your passport...when you're...

And to answer the question, If I have any valuables that I can't leave in my accommodation, I'll hide them in my car and hide my keys.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Apr 26, 18 0:03
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when you're racing in a triathlon? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put them in my transition bag and keep the bag somewhere in transition. Some races have a spot near my bike. Others have a bag corral.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept Draft Box!

Although I did have an issue with the lid springing open, saw it open as I completed a bike leg once, fortunately personal stuff had not spilled out.

Prior to that a zipped pocket inside rucksack left at whatever bag drop.

Either way as little of 'value' as poss - ie not passport etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just taken the car key and threw it in my saddle bag. Fortunately since this isn't an issue at the IMs where you have morning clothes, I wouldn't mind the extra grams of those bulky remote locking keys in anything else.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neelc21 wrote:
Let's say you're alone, where do you keep your i.d, wallet and other stuff when your racing?
Thank you.

At the bottom of the lake. But that's another story...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
neelc21 wrote:
Thank you.

Let us hear that story

I keep the key in a compartment in my backpack

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neelc21 wrote:
Thank you.

I will not publish that.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find a really attractive female and ask if she is single and then ask her if she can watch/hold my stuff and I will take her to dinner that night after the race.

If she isnt single - I tell her I have a goldfish...since we are now discussing things that do not really matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
klehner wrote:
neelc21 wrote:

Thank you.

Let us hear that story

I keep the key in a compartment in my backpack

Long story is here.

Follow-up to that is that when I went to the podiatrist the next day, he did confirm that the toe was broken. He insisted on x-raying my foot to find the broken bones that *had* to be there, judging by the swollen and purple condition of my foot. I explained that I'd run a 10k the day before, which might explain it.

Yes, keys at the bottom of the lake and a broken toe.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'll tell you what not to do... don't go ride the Paris-Roubaix sportive, stash your money, spare tubes and hotel key in your saddle bag, zip your saddle bag not quite all the way up, then lose everything on the cobbles in Arenberg Forest. Don't do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khlener - 10 feet deep and murky and you didnt dive down to at least try and retrieve the keys?

In Florida, I may have thought about this for a hot second as there was probably a stingray, alligator, bullshark, water moccasin, catfish, crab, rusty pipe, urchin, or any number of things you really don't want to run into...but jersey?
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
Khlener - 10 feet deep and murky and you didnt dive down to at least try and retrieve the keys?

In Florida, I may have thought about this for a hot second as there was probably a stingray, alligator, bullshark, water moccasin, catfish, crab, rusty pipe, urchin, or any number of things you really don't want to run into...but jersey?

I'll take an alligator you can see, over five feet of Canada goose shit underneath a dock any time.

In any case, I'd have had to dive down underneath a fixed structure with no light. Hitting my head on pilings or other bits of the structure, or getting stuck would have been lights out (pun intended).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ after picturing all of this - you are excused Sir. Write that one off as a loss haha
I would also imagine that water is very cold - which is why I wouldn't be in it in the first place. Anything below 78 degree is a big no no for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't bother with an ID while racing. I have a race # written on at least one arm, one leg, and a swim cap, plus a sticker on the bike, and bib on a waist band while running. I presume, with that number, they can quickly find the emergency contact information I provided at registration, if needed.

I have a newer Subaru which has a clever feature for that allows you to lock your key in the car, and unlock it by entering a PIN code through the rear hatch release button.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 26, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My truck has a keycode to get into the door, I'll lock my wallet and stuff in there. Great feature for me when I run in the park, drive to ride somewhere, some mountain hill run roads, etc. I don't have to carry my key, etc. with me.

At races I have kept my stuff in my transition bag inside of transition... barring any athlete thieves, transitions tend to be relatively secure in that it is an athletes only thing. I also pack up when I can after I finish. Don't leave it sitting there for hours until awards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i.d, keys, phone and a little bit of cash in my backpack. I don't bring my full wallet.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you keep your personal belongings when your racing in a triathlon? [LuchaLibre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuchaLibre wrote:
^ after picturing all of this - you are excused Sir. Write that one off as a loss haha
I would also imagine that water is very cold - which is why I wouldn't be in it in the first place. Anything below 78 degree is a big no no for me

You've never been to NJ in July. The water temp for this race one year was about 90. Of the 10 years I did it, I think maybe three were wetsuit-legal.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In transition - stuffed away in the backpack that I use to carry all my crap with me in the morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't need an ID or a wallet. If I'm not driving I just bring keys and some cash and leave it in morning clothes bag, or in smaller races that let us pitch a backpack near the fence I leave it in a backpack. If I am driving then no brainer in the car.

Hotel within walking distance of the transition is best, if you can swing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you like my Social Security number and date of birth too?

neelc21 wrote:
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be social and meet a tri club that will be at the race. I’d then ask if they can watch my stuff during the race. Then after I would go back to their tent. Most clubs usually have food and adult beverages. It’s a Win-Win.
Quote Reply

Prev Next