Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes?
Quote | Reply
1. if you put an Airtag on your bike, where do you put it?
2. do you remove the speaker?
3. if you have some other GPS or other retrieval-aid tracking device on your bike what is it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On my TT bike, in the seat tube. Speaker is intact. It really came in handy when British airways kept telling me my bike was on its way home when in fact it decided to have an extended stay in the cargo hold in Terminal 5.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Underneath the bottle cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Underneath the bottle cage.

speaker remains or you took it out?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road bike: saddle bag
Tri Bike: with my spare kit in the downtube

No modifications to the airtag

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You probably know this, but 4iiii put the tech in their powermeters
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

i did not know that. thank you for letting me know. does it work just like an iphone? it uses the GPS of the phone? both iphone and android? or does it have its own GPS? or it uses the head unit?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:

i did not know that. thank you for letting me know. does it work just like an iphone? it uses the GPS of the phone? both iphone and android? or does it have its own GPS? or it uses the head unit?

I think it's restricted to the Apple ecosystem and used the FindMy stuff. I think it has to come into contact with an Iphone and uses that devices coordinates

I am not 100% sure. This was my superficial understanding
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:

I think it's restricted to the Apple ecosystem and used the FindMy stuff. I think it has to come into contact with an Iphone and uses that devices coordinates

that would be interesting. i wonder if the iphone of the perp still gets the "airtag in your vicinity" notification on the phone. that's the one problem with airtags as a theft recovery device.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:
marcag wrote:

that would be interesting. i wonder if the iphone of the perp still gets the "airtag in your vicinity" notification on the phone. that's the one problem with airtags as a theft recovery device.

As a person that had a brand spanking new Jeep Hybrid stolen, found thanks to a tagging tech, lost by the police, found by a tagging tech, lost by the insurance....don't get me going on theft recovery devices :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 4iii (latest versions) is exactly the same as a speakerless airtag - with all benefits and disbenefits.

I've never put an airtag on a bike, but am considering adding one to my new bike. Whilst I have no iphone then my wife does and so we've had the tags on bags for the last couple of years, and she likes being able to keep track of me when I'm off on trips ;-)

I think of the tags as just one thing that may help slightly. Not that I expect to be able to rely on it, but it just may, along with a few other things help if something bad does happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lot of people here in Norway using these. In the process of buying one for my latest bike purchase. They are designed to be hidden in the bars, just need to make sure it’ll function with my extensions.

https://bikefinder.com/...J1ZfN2hoCVfAQAvD_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an answer to the question, but an observation. My daughter's MacBook was recently stolen and tracked to an address, but the police wouldn't go in. They said that the address is approximate and wouldn't show who has the laptop at the address. So there's not much they can do. Wouldn't this be the same for a stolen bike or you're more looking to use it for tracking while shipping?

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
Not an answer to the question, but an observation. My daughter's MacBook was recently stolen and tracked to an address, but the police wouldn't go in. They said that the address is approximate and wouldn't show who has the laptop at the address. So there's not much they can do. Wouldn't this be the same for a stolen bike or you're more looking to use it for tracking while shipping?

stolen, shipping, anything. as to what the police would do, i imagine it depends on the police and the location. where i am there's a lot of large rural lots. not a lot of nuance or guessing. if findmy says it's there it's there. i'm more likely just to say, "it seems you've located my lost bike. i really want to thank you and pay you $100 for your trouble."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a waterproof adhesive case I got off amazon from elevation lab that seems to be holding up pretty well directly under the saddle (hidden by the saddle bag). They need a fairly flat area under the saddle, so it works for my power saddle but not the pro turnix on my other bike. They also make a fork mounted one that is completely hidden which is super cool and I don’t think would be discovered by a thief at all, i feel the most confident about that one being found if it was stolen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am an Android guy however am considering using Apple Trackers due to the significantly greater options they appear to have - (i'd track with son or wife's i phone) - having said that i taped a samsung under my bar tape where the shifters attach to my bars - so far so good. while slightly noticeable it is less so than under a waterbottle or saddle IMO
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were at a race on the west coast once. Athletes phone was stolen, and we tracked it down to a a homeless tent city that was like 100 yards from T area. We contacted police, and they basically told us "we can't do anything"....which we were like, it's literally 5 feet away in that guy's tent. Eventually the "leader" of the tent city and our group negioated to simply get the phone back and not to press charges. All we wanted was the phone and we would get out of there obviously, but it was just so weird the cops were basically not going to help.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

is it just me or does that seem to be problematic?

Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, if it was like would be even hard to mount the tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I've used under bottle cage, behind reflector, under seat, inside seat bag, under fork. The only position that didn't work was inside a carbon seat tube (no signal even a foot away).

2. Tried it, and only managed to kill the AirTag

3. Haven't tried anything other than AirTag
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's for 38c or larger (MTB tyres). Doesn't say if that's hookless, but does say not with an insert.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had AirTags since the day they were released. I have just kept it in my storage box. Left the speaker going.

Next time I overhaul the bike I will place in the frame either bb area or seatpost.

I’m guessing if I really wanted I could take it apart and make it fit the in old trek cadence sensor I have on my SC.
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I've always joked I'm early 40's but truly a 72 year old "old man" when it comes to technology.

Do you "charge" airtags? If not, what's the life of an airtag? Years? Months?

Is the speaker being kept on an issue?

TBT had a mention they didn't want people to add airtags to their bikes when they were transporting the bikes to not increase theft? What was the rationale? Can an airtag wavelength be "hacked" or only if someone stole a phone/laptop and they did a "findmy" and followed it? I see people on flights all the time post their airtag bike location and then we hear of stories where it's like it's in the wrong terminal, etc. Does that help telling the airlines where it is, or do they just ignore you? If their records say it's in Utah and your airtag says it's in Minneapolis, how is it corrected?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 4, 24 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Where do you guys put your Airtags on your bikes? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So I've always joked I'm early 40's but truly a 72 year old "old man" when it comes to technology.

Do you "charge" airtags? If not, what's the life of an airtag? Years? Months?

Is the speaker being kept on an issue?

TBT had a mention they didn't want people to add airtags to their bikes when they were transporting the bikes to not increase theft? What was the rationale? Can an airtag wavelength be "hacked" or only if someone stole a phone/laptop and they did a "findmy" and followed it? I see people on flights all the time post their airtag bike location and then we hear of stories where it's like it's in the wrong terminal, etc. Does that help telling the airlines where it is, or do they just ignore you? If their records say it's in Utah and your airtag says it's in Minneapolis, how is it corrected?

pardon my late reply. i stopped monitoring the thread for a few days. there's a 2032 coin cell battery in there, the same you use for SRAM power meters and road shifters (and a bunch of other stuff). i write about this battery here. the speaker is great if you are trying to retrieve your bike. for example, one could imagine this making your bike easier to locate if it's in an airport luggage area. but for theft retrieval you don't want the speaker to help the perp locate the airtag. me, i prefer taking the speaker out, because i can probably locate the bike pretty closely in an airport and, heck, it's in a bike case. it's not likely that it's 1 of a dozen bike cases stacked next to each other.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next