Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where are all the Helium wheelsets?
Quote | Reply
I lusted after those in the 90's? and figured they would pop up now and then on C/L and classifieds....seem pretty rare? Are they now vintage/NOS?

Who Dares...Wins!
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [+4W/Kg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Junked. They are great wheels but very light alloy wheels just don't last forever man. Attrition probably took a lot of them out of circulation. Some folks on here probably have a set downstairs....

Maybe this guy on eBay can source a set. Those gel 280s are pretty dainty rims.
http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item2c83bf27c9

I sold a really clean set on craigslist a few years ago and kind of regret it...but needed to fund a tri bike purchase. I'd probably prefer the tubular heliums now anyway.

At the same time I also sold off my Rolf sestrieres and my open pro/556 wheels I built when I was 14. Lucked out last year and got a set of open pros on ultegra hubs really cheaply that I put on the wife's bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two pairs sitting in my garage right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of helium tubulars. Awesome riding wheels, but not particularly durable. Mine cracked at the spoke eyelets, and it was impossible to get a replacement rim (rims were 26 spokes IIRC, and I don't think Mavic sold the rims separately).

I loved those wheels while they lasted.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not helium, but I still have a pair of Velomax Ascent Comp wheels circa the year 2000. I think they were even lighter than heliums and have a V shaped rim profile and lower spoke count so slightly more more aero too FWIM. I won a a crit and a couple road races on the college circuit on those with some Mavic Open Pro dual compound tires.

They've held up well. They have some minor cracks at the nipple holes, but they've been there since 2001 and not gotten any larger in the last 13 years. Original bearings in front and I replaced the rear wheel bearings and freehub once. I think its' just a Shimano LX MTB free hub. I use them on my road bike. They ride pretty soft, though not as good as my Zipps.

Heck, I still have a 9 speed Dura-ace shifters and rear derailleur I put on that same bike at the same time to replace the Ultegra that wore out in just 2 years. It still shift OK, not great, but it works so why upgrade. I'll wait until 11 speed gets really cheap when 12 speed comes out.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding 9spd dura ace on mine. Awesome group, I liked it far better than 10 spd, and going to 11 would mean that I have to replace my beloved Zipp 303 tubs. I don't race anymore, so I never use them, but I might bust em out for a charity ride this summer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an extra Ultegra 10 speed crank laying around that came off my tri bike (went ot 165mm cranks), so upgrading is on my to-do list so I can share all my wheels between my road and tri bike. I might pick up some cheap 10 speed 105 shifters for it.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were not really very good. At around 1750 grams per set, they were not very light by today's standards and they were not very durable. Mine developed a problem in the rear hub and I replaced them with the silver Kryriums that I still use.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they fell off the face of the earth pretty soon after the Ksyriums... It was just one of those things (that for me) got (and still gets) the juices flowing. Add to that Campy Delta brakes, Greg's World's win photo (Greg is awesome, but Sean makes that pic what it is), 56t chain rings, straight block freewheels, Klein neon paint schemes and their one piece bar/stem Mt. combos, all the crazy rigs that were run in TT's in the 80's and Paris Roubaix in the 90's. They may not be functional....but the emotions!
Que Bruce!
Glory Days

Who Dares...Wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"56t chain rings, straight block freewheels"

We were a lot stronger back then!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
We were a lot stronger back then!

Given his screen name, I'd say he's still got it.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are all the Helium wheelsets? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This Wisconsin winter has been unkind to me, add a new kiddo (stay at home dad) and the handle is now the goal...not reality. I'm just happy to get in the big cookie (can you with a straight face call your compact "the big cookie")????

Who Dares...Wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+4W/Kg wrote:
(can you with a straight face call your compact "the big cookie")

Whew, you gave me a scare. For a second there I thought you were talking about my ex girlfriend.
Quote Reply