Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh the good ol days ;-) They're were definitely a lot fewer races and fewer triathletes in general back in late 80s and early 90s. I still take pride in keeping things simple and low cost. The KQ days are done for me (thanks Crohns!) so even more so is a lifestyle and stay fit. I am guessing with IM, 2 halves, and some other sport specific things next year - along with pool - I'll spend about 2k. We take the camper with us so lodging isnt too bad,as the mrs loves camper travel.

Maybe we have just reached terminal velocity on participation based on fees and all the options available to those who don't find tri their favorite. Still cheaper than many hobbies (golf, boating, cars, etc) and good for you, especially as you age with the cross training

All that said, with a grad student child doing her first races the price would have been an issue if we didn't have a pile of hand me down gear.

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree….but the advertisers are paying the bill for magazines and want articles written for what they are selling. So you end up reading about nothing but expensive high end equipment and then the pros get free equipment and are required to market it in social media. Many times the latest equipment is only marginally faster then previous years. The real question is how do you get the word out to the masses that you can have just as much fun and, if you want, be just as competitive with less expensive options?

A few years back, I did a local triathlon where Steve and Anne Hed’s son was doing his first triathlon. I told Steve I was riding a aluminum frame with HED wheels and that it felt like a rocket. He agreed that with good wheels (of course he did) you can make any bike allot faster. So what are the options for making a less expensive bike more to your liking and competitive level….that’s the article I would like to see/read and I think GCN does a good job with this for example.

I typically watch PROs to see what new technology they are using and figure out a way to add it to my existing bike allocating approximately $1000/year. I started with a $250 steel frame bike (down tube shifting) which I added aero bar extensions to and road it for two seasons until I felt that long term I wanted to do triathlons. Over the past twenty years I have taken that original bike and following that upgrade formula, I am now riding a 2016 P3 with di2, tririg brakes and alpha one handle bars, power pedals, down tube storage, full compliment of HED race wheels (of course). Maybe next year I will add the new style of aero extensions and possibly five years from now, invest in a new frame when the P3 is tired.

As a fellow triathlete once told me when I asked him how to get faster on the bike….he responded “bike, bike and bike some more.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
About 5/6 years ago I said I thought Triathlon was going to become a sport for the rich/privileged and wasn’t going to attract the next generation of new comers. I got shot out of the water BIG TIME.

AUS Tri have lost 11% of their membership in the past 12 months and 50% over the last 5 years. GB Tri no longer declares their membership numbers so I would imagine a similar pattern. A lot of races that were sold out as soon as entries opened now have places available up to deadline.

The sport is in decline at all levels. Some tri mags have an article once a year on entry level equipment or have a focus on new members in the off season but generally 99% is aimed at the high end. It goes beyond the magazines.

How many times have group rides done their best to drop the newbie to put him in his place? As long as that mentality exists the sport will continue to decline.

I used to organize a group ride where we gave out points and the biggest climbs where in the first half of the ride. The first few climbs we had penalty points for first to the top and bonus points for last to the top. It kept the group ride together for the entire first half. The second half and sprints with regroup points but as the second half was net downhill, it allowed for the FOP people to get some good intervals in, while the longer net downhills allowed for the less strong riders to catch up and stay "attached" during the downhill regroups !!!

But I don't think the phenonon of dropping new riders is anything new. This was there in 1985 when I did my first group rides with the local roadie group (fortunately I had a big enough engine from runnning....did the 1.5 miles in military at 7:08 so 4:40ish miler pace, so kind of hard to drop me on hills due to engine)....it was like that during 90's, 2000s, 2010s and today. Unlike running or swimming where strong athletes are comfortable in their skin because a new rider can't just show up and keep up with top people, that is not the case for biking....riders like Lance, Ritchie Porte, Cam Wurf etc etc etc can come out of other sports, do a few pedal rev's and be up near the top cyclists....so there is an inherent insecurity that fast cyclists have because a good athletes with a solid engine from another sport can quickly become fast at cycling.

Locally, one of my buddies took our Israel premier tech cyclist Michael Woods out when he was an injured 3:50ish miler. Mike climbed the local climb in running shoes and rat traps faster than anyone we knew about, but off his run training and youth hockey.

If you are a big engine newbie you survive the baptism from the local studs and generally put them in their place shortly (I am sure Lucy Charles would have done that too). But if you're an average engine person, that "baptism" culture that exists on the bike pretty well everywhere, can be a tough one to overcome....but that's not a 2022 sport decline problem

It is hilarious how you could not resist beyond three posts to turn your "argument" into a "let's brag about my past performances" post. You know the saying, the older I am..the better I was ;-)

Back to topic, although there is a somewhat stable tri community in Southern Ontario and we have a great local half distance race (Barrelman) ..however, numbers are going down and I definitely agree that equipment marketing is part of the problem. I hang out with a bunch of runners that are tempted to do a tri but are intimidate at the cost. They likely do not believe me when I mention that you can build a really good fast tri bike for about 3k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why review old stuff? Because that is what you are doing. Anything new at that price point isn’t new. It’s old trickle down tech. Now you could have a low cost bike shootout but here’s the thing. No new bikes are low cost.

If the average person picks up a magazine and sees a 2500 bike they’re still going to go holy shit that thing doesn’t have a motor?

Triathlon has a problem with cost, but it’s not bike cost. It’s the “you need that too”. I mean how could you ever do a triathlon without a coach or a power meter. It’s unheard of next to impossible. No it’s not but that is what a good majority of people act like now.

The cost of a coach for a year will make the “cheap” bike actually feel cheap. Then the person will get bored because they’re following a plan every day and not getting to experience the just go run or ride aspect. Oh by the way to go just try a race it’s $100 for a sprint. $1000 for an Ironman, etc. If you want to grow the sport again, make s/b/r fun again, make the racing affordable again, that’ll bring back the people who just want to go do a race to have fun and if they’re fast so be it. The on going cost and the “I think I need it” cost just to race has killed the sport.

To put it in perspective you’re from the great white north. Anyone who has looked at hockey gear who played 10-20 or longer years ago I’m sure has had a meltdown on cost of gear now. However, beyond sticks most of that stuff you can use for quite awhile. I can play three games a weekend two drop in and one adult league game for less than $40 a week. Basically 5 hours of ice time for less than $10 an hour in Colorado, why in the world would I not do that instead race? I’ll still go do s/b/r, but as a sport? Not unless I’m really feeling up to it. The bike costs aren’t the problem, it’s the ongoing costs, that needs to be fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The racing won’t become “affordable” anytime soon. Not because local RD’s want to fleece beginners or the local race community, but because basic requirements at local races have all gone up in costs. Permits, certain required volunteers (LG, boat safety support) has all caused even the local events to be “expensive”. The local police will dictate that they require X number of people to be present and yet they don’t even really man the roads. Many times they are just there on side of road but not always actively “controlling” the intersections. And guess what? If police say 12 people at $80/hr, you either will do that or the permit won’t happen and go find another venue to race at. Even if it’s more than you think is needed, they will dictate what is required and if not followed, permit won’t happen. The local RD is up against so much these days that he can’t make it affordable even if they want too.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 2, 23 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally get it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a blaming thing on the race costs. But it’s a big issue. I would assume cost per participant is up also because of the lower numbers also.

When I first raced boulder peak it was a 2500 person race. It’s hard to believe it was ever like that if you race it now. So you don’t have as many people to spread that cost across.

I think of it as a cost per hour. I mean 5ks are 40-50 bucks in some places. I just can’t justify that for what would be a miserablely long time at this point lol.
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my concern is that I think the sport has a cost issue. I think it has an IM issue which has its own cost fleecing system going. I think the problem I see is that the local events, they aren’t trying to behave in that manner. They want the 1st timer, they want the person who’s riding a 27 year old bike out of the closet. Those people make the sport healthy. But I don’t know if they can continue to bring those people in in great numbers when their small town usa events have costs associated with them, that they can’t get around. That’s the issue I see is that we all complain about all the costs. I am good friends with several RD’s who do local stuff and also RD for IM events. Those are good people that want to help grow the sport, and there are tons of local RD’s with the same goal and motives. They just want to provide races. But they are getting pinched at every corner too.

So yes there is a cost factor but there is also a cost realization that I think really is hurting grass root attempts. No longer can you just get by on bare bones etc. Everything is CYA, permitted out for everything etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 2, 23 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we’re going to see the same thing at the college level for club teams too. I wasn’t fully paying attention to what happened at Iowa State, but apparently two club rowers died I believe. When that happened they put every club under review and there are significantly more strict guidelines for the clubs that were considered higher risk. Needless to say the triathlon club fell under that and it’s going to make just training as a team more difficult. They also can no longer host their big fundraiser triathlon. It’s a mess.

Everyone wants a no risk society it’s insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Those are good people that want to help grow the sport, and there are tons of local RD’s with the same goal and motives. They just want to provide races. But they are getting pinched at every corner too.

So yes there is a cost factor but there is also a cost realization that I think really is hurting grass root attempts. No longer can you just get by on bare bones etc. Everything is CYA, permitted out for everything etc.

We’ve got something that is just getting started, and it looks interesting. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of my assumptions, but I’ve been watching this unfold on Facebook, and may try it this summer. A local tri group is starting to hold “mock tris” of various distances, as training races… very much like club cycling used to be. They meet out at a state park, in a designated swimming cove. They ride and run on park roads with little too traffic. As far as I know, there is no costs involved, other than the $5 day pass, to get into the park. There are no results, awards, or support. I’m sure some club members bring stuff like coolers and snacks, and I have seen some photos with bike racks, for practicing transition. Everyone is self supported and self timed. They do of course request helmets, and folks to use a orange tow buoy during the swim, for safety. They held a couple in 2021, and it was a hit, and they held them every month last summer. I remember thinking how crazy… to hold those… without just making it an official race. I thought to myself I wasn’t all that interested in “mock” anything. Well, this thread has me rethinking that, and I’m understanding why they don’t want to organize an official race, and would rather just go out and have fun training together. I just might have to go check it out this year.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Jan 2, 23 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All it takes is one person getting kinda hurt at one of those for *everything* to go wrong.

There are ways that you can do this -- e.g., work with the park, they'll ask for the club insurance (assuming it's a USAT club), then just make sure that everyone who participates is a member of the club (otherwise, you're not covered because of the way the USAT insurance works). You can offer a trial membership of the club as a potential option to let new people in the door...but you need something beyond an entry fee in order to get people under the policy.

Unfortunately, when putting anything that resembles an event on that isn't "hey, let's get a couple friends together to do something," you HAVE to assume something will go wrong. Because the odds just aren't in your favor.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve looked at their website, and follow their fb page, and haven’t been able to find anything about sign ups or insurance (they have a sign up to join for coaching, but I see nothing for training get togethers). It looks like a coaching group. I think they are still at the “hey let’s get together and train” stage. I did sign up for their emails, as I am intrigued.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Jan 2, 23 16:00
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the real issue is this. There is a huge difference in your buddies getting together and “training” together vs an actual “club” or certified coach event (that is no charge). The club event if it’s an “official” event event with zero entry fee, there is likely some type of liability there. If you just show up with friends and train, if something happens there is no real liability on any person.

But if you as a club have an actual event/training event that is a “fake race” even if it’s not timed etc, there is real liability on the club. So whether it’s free, whether it’s not really timed, that’s irrelevant. If a club/coach does any activities there is real liability now involved. So what usually happens is those club events come with waivers and/or “small fee” attached to said event.

There was another local tri store in our area that put on “free” events for a year (Duathlon and tri) . Was low key events but was actual an event. Had timing, placing, waivers signed….it was simply free. I talked to the owner and he told me after the initial year, it wasn’t really worth it to do it for free for 40 people and then if only 40 people did it when it was free, it def wasn’t going to. E worth the hassle if 21 people paid $45 for a “low budget” race. (I had 10 people every time they did a free event, and I donated money to it and also “volunteered” to help T area on race day).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 2, 23 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not here to get anybody in trouble. I am here to explain what USAT insurance does and doesn't cover in this scenario.

USAT coaching insurance will cover you and two athletes doing something training related. Anything beyond that is *not* covered.

USAT club insurance gets you a whole lot of leeway to do stuff in person -- but every person *must* be a member of the club in order for that to work (and ideally, they're all USAT members on top of that).

USAT race insurance usually requires a.) sanctioning, and then b.) you're going to need everybody to either be a USAT member or purchase a one-day waiver for that to fly.

Speaking super generally, this is one reason why the split from Olympic development cycles from age group athletes have worked really well for running and swimming (RRCA clubs can do a lot of fun stuff, including the whole one-off races you're talking about, without permits etc. but still can have insurance). I'm still a little concerned that the primary focus of youth and junior certification under USAT has been to try to fill the Olympic development pipeline instead of building larger youth teams that get people to love the sport...but I'm also going to let Vic get her feet wet in her job before deciding where to come down on USAT at this point.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

USAT club insurance gets you a whole lot of leeway to do stuff in person -- but every person *must* be a member of the club in order for that to work (and ideally, they're all USAT members on top of that).
They do have a group sign up form on their website, with no mention of fees or insurance. I did see where the person running it, is a USAT coach. But that’s the only place USAT is mentioned. It looks like anyone can become a member by submitting the form. I have not gone this far, so I have no idea what comes next. I also cannot confirm what kind of waivers may take place for folks who show up for a “training event”. I’ve been following their FB page for a couple years, and have met some of the folks at sanctioned events. It looks like a fun group, making things work at a basic level.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the issues I’ve always had with usat junior numbers is that there are youth races put on by private organizations (YMCA for example) that don’t need kids to be usat members to race. So they were in the sport but weren’t accounted for in some board room meeting when looking at “numbers”.

There was about 8 years where half my juniors were usat members only because they raced the DL circuit but more that never joined usat cus they didn’t need to when they were racing local youth only events and triathlon training only in summers (I coached under an YMCA programming that insured me and didn’t need usat insurance). That is the case for many areas where they just literally only raced 1-2 youth only events for fun and that was that. I believe the largest youth event in the Country is non usat and doesn’t need to as they have private financing to cover liability. It’s so big it takes full day for the entire event to be completed.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 2, 23 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Is ST easy to find for a “beginner”. I don’t know exactly how I found it in sept of 08. I had been doing tri for 6 months before I found it. I guess search engines are much easier these days but Ive never thought ST was “beginner friendly”, in the forum or the articles. I think back then “beginner triathlete” forum was around (I have no clue if said website is even around haven’t visited it for probably 10+ years).

ST has its place in the sport no doubt. I thought it’s more “boys club” type of vibe/feeling much more than “welcoming”.

I started in 2012 and the only way I found ST was through my trainer, otherwise, there really isn’t much to offer.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think part of the problem is that you are referring to the situation we find ourselves in living in Australia, where even second hand bikes are stupid expensive currently. The world in the US of A is quite a bit different probably. I don't think you get 8 options of P2s for under 2k in Australia (let alone in your part of Australia, wherever you are) if you do a search. I know I'd get lucky where I am to even find a couple of decent options, and all too highly priced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what is happening:

I can play three games a weekend two drop in and one adult league game for less than $40 a week. Basically 5 hours of ice time for less than $10 an hour in Colorado, why in the world would I not do that instead race? I’ll still go do s/b/r, but as a sport? Not unless I’m really feeling up to it. The bike costs aren’t the problem, it’s the ongoing costs, that needs to be fixed.

We can race bikes here for $15 for a race, do the odd Grand Fondo with heaps of hills 160 km to 320 all for no more than $200.

If I want a timed event I can do a park run, or one of the bigger trail runs if that is what I am after.

To race bikes I use my 2012 r3 $1000 and for run races a pair of nike vapor fly things once per year.

Tri is a very expensive sport, assuming in the $2000 or under second hand bike, then add in around $1000 more for shoes, wet suit, clothes etc. Ok not too bad.

Pool entries
race entries, sprints and OD are hundreds of dollar
If IM bring $1000
Travel to races is the biggy, fuel, eating, accomodation.

Maybe it was always this way, and the 40-60 AG have just decided to stop blowing money on an increasingly expensive facilitated exercise day. The kicker is a triathlon isn't even a race for all but a very small number.

The 5 k park run or cat 3 bike race are always races and they cost nothing or next to nothing.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by B_Doughtie [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So cycling can account for the health of the sport in both bike sales and racing numbers. I would guess there are more people who don’t race in the sport of cycling than actually participant in an “race”.

Most masters swim programs are under a masters designation membership/fee each year. It’s probably more common for a masters athlete to have to pay for the yearly masters “membership” than programs that don’t charge that.

But Triathlon is a sport that only classifies you when you are either racing in a race or a federation member. There is no “I identify as a non racing triathlete” classification. So said person is lost and oh no the sport is in decline yet I’m willing to bet many still are active in endurance community. Of course many “one and doners” do their IM and quit endurance sports all together. So yeah federation numbers are then in decline and obviously races will go away when there is no need to have a race. But there is also a segment of triathlon that is unaccounted for or account in another sport (non tri bike purchase etc).

There is no “lifestyle” choice. It’s either the sport is healthy because race numbers (and by way of insurance requirement essentially federation membership) are up or it’s not healthy because race numbers are down. Said federation cant account for the person taking a 2 year hiatus or 12 year racing hiatus because they are raising a family. Many still train even if a min level etc they just get lost in the accounting.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been asked/answered already but what is this "magazine" thing all you guys are talking about.... Pretty sure that is the first question the younger athletes getting into this sport will ask.... AS said above at some point i think in youtube, GTN, GCN do an amazing job at that... and you saved the $5 from the magazine to put on a pack of gel...
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, the problem with triathlon ain't the bike. And it ain't running.

It's the swimming part.

What percent of people live close enough to a pool AND can afford the fees/membership dues AND can get over to it often enough to make it worth it? I'm not talking some year-round tri athlete who in "dire straights" will use their vasa. I'm talking average joes.

IMHO swimming is what makes it an elitist sport. Come at me bro.
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red Cross released a study that 80% of the population *claim* they can swim, but 44% admit they would fail basic swim skill tests consisting of: Those skills are: floating or treading for 1 minute, jumping into deep water and coming up for air, spinning around in the water and then finding a way out, getting out of a pool without a ladder and swimming one pool length without stopping.

https://www.local3news.com/...e9-1b186d16b035.html

So when 1/2 the population can't/won't/don't swim, your sport is "elitist" by default.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 3, 23 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: When the reviews are $18K bikes and $4K wheels how do we grow the sport? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
IMHO, the problem with triathlon ain't the bike. And it ain't running.

It's the swimming part.

What percent of people live close enough to a pool AND can afford the fees/membership dues AND can get over to it often enough to make it worth it? I'm not talking some year-round tri athlete who in "dire straights" will use their vasa. I'm talking average joes.

IMHO swimming is what makes it an elitist sport. Come at me bro.

GREAT Point!

I also do think the bike is expensive

Problem solved

Let’s eliminate the swim and bike

PERFECT

Problem solved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There has always been ebb and flow with the sport. Here are some of the previous articles Dan has written:

2014 State of Triathlon:
2014 State of Triathlon Finale
2001 Rise and Fall of a Triathlon Series

An entry level triathlon bike is what $3,500? has this kept up with Inflation from 2001? Just saw a 2016 Cervelo P2 listed for $1,450.

You can find some race entry fees that are a bargain for perspective here is the cost of a Bonelli Park Triathlons from 1987 $40 and a current Triathlon local event ($45) up here in Washington.

Bonelli Park

Current Local Event:

Quote Reply

Prev Next