Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When do tubulars become worthwhile?
Quote | Reply
Hey all, here's a question that I hope won't start a big tubular/clincher flame war.

Later this year I'm planning on buying a set of race wheels (renn disk/second hand hed 3 or similar). I race maybe 6 times a year, and will be doing my first ironman next year (IMNZ). I don't race any other form of bike racing, and have never used tubulars.

I'm wondering if it's worth going to tubulars for the race wheels or staying with clinchers. Given that I won't use the wheels that often (at least not in the next few years while I'm in Borneo) and it takes at least a few goes to get used to mounting and changing tubulars, I'm wondering if it is really worthwhile to move to tubulars given the hassle involved in changing them.

I've read around here and gordoworld and there seems to be dissent about whether they're any faster for a MOP athlete, and if you're not used to changing them, I wonder if I'd change them any quicker than a clincher that I can practice regularly if I need to. I woudn't want to be stuck at the side of a road in a race, making a complete hash of changing the tubie, whereas I know how to change a clincher. The extra minute or two a well changed tubie would save me isn't going to make a difference to my race time, or chance of a podium, so I wonder what you all think.

Oh, and the wheel weight's not going to affect me enough to make a difference I don't think.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Re: When do tubulars become worthwhile? [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the (2) wheels that you mentioned.....I'd simply go with whatever you are most comfortable, which appears to be clincher. Both have metal strips and the clincher counterpart is very similiar in construction the tubular version.

For me, tubulars are MUCH less "hassle" to change.
Quote Reply
Re: When do tubulars become worthwhile? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of interest, how long did it take you to get used to changing tubies? Wondering if it would take a couple of goes or a dozen etc.

Cheers,

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a good example as I started with tubulars when everyone called them sew-ups. I was 11 and started racing track after winning a bmx national title....

For my friends who recently got into tris/road races...it's just a matter of watching, co-installing, supervised install and then you're on your own. Kinda like driving a stick shift. I'd ask your LBS if you can watch their mechanic.....

I'm pretty darn fast at changing a clincher as well...but just don't like getting my fingers all dirty. Then again, I don't flat very much. Maybe 6 times last year (7,000ish miles) and 4 of them happend on the same ride. I've yet to flat a tubular in a road race or a tri... (knock on wood)

Speaking of tubulars...I need to clean a rear wheel to install a new tire tonight for IMAZ.
Quote Reply
Re: When do tubulars become worthwhile? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I guess that will help. Don't have a LBS here, only know of one bike shop in the country and they don't do tubies. I'd have to self teach myself which I'm guessing won't be that easy.

Looking like clinchers for me, although I hanker after the 'professionalism' of tubies.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you are only racing a few times a year - tubulars are great. You can get slightly better wheels, eg all carbon discs/tri spokes in tubular form only. I think rolling resistance is very similar, but I still think tubulars have a better "feel" to them, and do feel faster on race day. But it is hard to quantify the difference. If you are worried about changing them - just make sure you don't get too enthusiastic with the glue. I think you can get comfortable changing a tubular tyre in 3-5 attempts.

Tubulars are not that scary!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this last year, took a leap and bought tubulars. They are really not that hard to get used to using. Then, one of my clinchers blew out on a group ride. Very scary, fortunately, I was able to control the bike and stop without falling. I went on ebay the next day and found a cheap set of tubular wheels for my road bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply