Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When are you REALLY a triathlete?
Quote | Reply
Sitting here with what was supposed to be a basketball filled day off... now cleaning and thinking. When are you really a triathlete? Like you’re not really a New Englander until you’ve called 6 inches of snow a dusting and said 10 degrees “actually isn’t that bad” in the sun. Or the “How I met your mother” episode you’re not really a New Yorker until you’ve done these things(kill a cockroach with your hand).

So when are you really a triathlete? I’ve got a couple. When you’ve broken a durable and expensive piece of gear. When you ran 3 miles and said you didn’t work out today. When you’ve fallen behind on laundry and worn the same bike shorts 3 times (yeah it’s gross)

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When that is your job. That’s it. So for me, never. I play hockey, basketball, golf, tennis, among other sports. I would never introduce myself as a hockey player or golfer just because I enjoy those sports/hobbies. I find it weird and awkward to label myself a “triathlete”. I’m a lawyer that swims, bikes, runs, and does triathlons.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 20, 20 5:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are a triathlete when you swim, bike and run for exercise for no good reason other than you want to do those activities as an expression of you as a human. Racing is secondary to the act of needing and wanting to do these three sports on an ongoing basis.

If you can't swim, or can't bike or can't run for any period and find yourself saying, "man, I really want to get on my bike and feel the wind blowing through my helmet on a 40 mph downhill", or "I need to feel that anaerobic feeling finishing my last 9 strokes without breathing going full throttle on a 50 free" or, "I have not run in the woods forever and seen the deer and squirrels", then you have arrived
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 5 minutes after you finish your first race and your initial thoughts of never again turn to “I wonder if I....”

Laying all your bike stuff out on a Friday night so you can hit the roads first thing for a century...and being excited about it....

Winning your Age Group in the local sprint and realizing deep down it does matter to you even though you only had 4 guys in your Age Group.

Feeling that “flow state” when your stroke is smooth and the water rushes by, or when 7 minute miles seem effortless, or when you feel like you can do 200 watts until the cows come home.

Having a better looking body than most people half your age.

Separating your shoulder...again

Running the last 200 yards of an Ironman....especially on Ali’i Drive...

Meeting my local swim crew for a current driven 2.5 mile swim on a Jersey July day...

Eating as much pasta as I want

Owning more than 6 bikes

Throwing away 20 old, leaky goggles...

Realizing your swim or bike shorts are becoming a little x rated as they wear out.

Lose another toe nail

Notice that the t shirt you’re wearing isn’t from a race

Putting all your medals and trophies in the closet because there are just too many of them and really, should you really have that big of a trophy for beating that newbie guy in your age group in a Super Sprint?

Drop $3500 for a kickr bike because #fuckCoVid....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you embrace the "suck"
When you complete a 3 hour brick workout while not training for a race or anything for that mater and wonder if you did enough.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
About 5 minutes after you finish your first race and your initial thoughts of never again turn to “I wonder if I....”

Laying all your bike stuff out on a Friday night so you can hit the roads first thing for a century...and being excited about it....

Winning your Age Group in the local sprint and realizing deep down it does matter to you even though you only had 4 guys in your Age Group.

Feeling that “flow state” when your stroke is smooth and the water rushes by, or when 7 minute miles seem effortless, or when you feel like you can do 200 watts until the cows come home.

Meeting my local swim crew for a current driven 2.5 mile swim on a Jersey July day...

Owning more than 6 bikes

Realizing your swim or bike shorts are becoming a little x rated as they wear out.

Lose another toe nail

Putting all your medals and trophies in the closet because there are just too many of them and really, should you really have that big of a trophy for beating that newbie guy in your age group in a Super Sprint?

I have 14 bikes in the house of different sources (all my bikes, my wife's bike, a few bikes of my son).....was showing my wife the Kickr bike online and the first answer was, "how is this different from all your bikes"...then the second statement was, "well if you want one, then I am getting the kitchen renovation"....for the moment I want the Kikr bike bike less than living around a renovation but there will be no renovation for a while due to social distancing so maybe get the Kickr bike (but I am also cautious right now about spending until I get my tech company thru this crunch) !!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Them: Wanna sign up for a race.
Me: Maybe. What are you proposing?
Them: ______ (running race)
Me: No Swim. No Bike. Just Run? I think I'll pass

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Them: Wanna sign up for a race.
Me: Maybe. What are you proposing?
Them: ______ (running race)
Me: No Swim. No Bike. Just Run? I think I'll pass

For the Win !!!
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
When that is your job. That’s it. So for me, never. I play hockey, basketball, golf, tennis, among other sports. I would never introduce myself as a hockey player or golfer just because I enjoy those sports/hobbies. I find it weird and awkward to label myself a “triathlete”. I’m a lawyer that swims, bikes, runs, and does triathlons.
You're basically saying you are what you get paid for? What a horrible thought!
I would find that philosophy really depressing, if I believed it, but thankfully I think it's totally arbitrary and don't accept it, so everything's fine.

My job is neither the most nor the least important thing in my life. It's just one, rather time consuming, element. I'll also always consider myself an engineer regardless whether I'm still employed in that field or not. I can be more than one thing.
I reckon there are plenty people on ST who put more effort and thought into triathlon than they do their jobs (I'm not one of them, I half-ass at triathlon), they are most certainly triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are average at 3 sports rather than good at 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

That's the definition of a professional triathlete. Are you saying you aren't an amateur triathlete? My bank account would like a word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you tell someone else that you are one.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
When you tell someone else that you are one.
When you tell yourself you are one.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

When you tell yourself you are one.

Well sure, thats a bit more existential then I was going for, though. My intent was little more tongue in cheek...as in, "how do you know if someone is a triathlete? Don't worry, they'll tell you." :-)

I suppose I should have used pink font.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 20, 20 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when you don't wear socks while cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never claimed my job is the most important thing to me. But, yeah it’s far more important than my hobby that doesn’t support my family which is the most important thing to me, I’m clearly in the minority here but I laugh at anyone who would introduces themselves to me as a triathlete (again, unless that is there profession).
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree to disagree. If someone says to me “I’m a hockey player.” I’m not envisioning a pick game on Thursday night Anymore than I would think someone that says “I’m a lawyer” is someone who reads legal books for fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Never claimed my job is the most important thing to me. But, yeah it’s far more important than my hobby that doesn’t support my family which is the most important thing to me, I’m clearly in the minority here but I laugh at anyone who would introduces themselves to me as a triathlete (again, unless that is there profession).

for a whole lot of reasons.

I can't imagine doing that. I've had numerous occasions recently where the fact was relevant to one of the nurses, doctors, or therapists...and, I still felt "sheepish" bringing it up. Most of the time, I just said "runner".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agree to disagree. If someone says to me “I’m a hockey player.” I’m not envisioning a pick game on Thursday night Anymore than I would think someone that says “I’m a lawyer” is someone who reads legal books for fun.

What kind of narcissist would do that anyway? I'm not introducing myself as "CassinoNorth, I'm a Systems Administrator". If someone asks what my hobbies are, I sure as hell will mention the thing I do 10+ hours a week even if I don't get paid to be a "triathlete".

DFW_Tri wrote:

I would laugh at anyone who introduced themselves as anything. I don't define myself as any one thing. No hobby, occupation or nationality.
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [cassinonorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cassinonorth wrote:

What kind of narcissist would do that anyway? I'm not introducing myself as "CassinoNorth, I'm a Systems Administrator". If someone asks what my hobbies are, I sure as hell will mention the thing I do 10+ hours a week even if I don't get paid to be a "triathlete".

ummmm, that's the question posed in the thread
(at least as I was reading it)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 20, 20 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I read your previous post as meaning that you were defined by your career, or in other words I it sounded like you considered it the most important part of your identity.
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Perhaps I misunderstand what you're saying. I just don't get the "if you're paid to do it" comment.

As for introducing yourself as a triathlete - Who introduces themselves as anything?
I've never introduced myself as an engineer, project manager, triathlete, cyclist, runner, or anything else. I just give my name. Do some people take the opportunity to tell people their profession and /or sporting interests?
On the other hand if someone asks me if I am an engineer, triathlete, motorist, or something else that I consider myself to be, I'll say yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

As for introducing yourself as a triathlete - Who introduces themselves as anything?.

"introducing" is probably the wrong word....but the thread appears to ask who is "identifying" themselves as a triathlete. I consider that to be asking that in some conversation, at some point, You've used the phrase "I'm a triathlete" even if it isn't the first thing out of your mouth when meeting someone. And that appears to be what the OP is asking....at what point do you do begin to do that. I've definitely heard people say this, and I just find it bizarre. So, for me, that's "never." That's just me. To each, his/her own.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 20, 20 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you debate online about trivial things that have nothing to do with swim/bike/run.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: When are you REALLY a triathlete? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:

Owning more than 6 bikes

Lose another toe nail

these are awesome. I am good for about 12 of them :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you insist on showing up to the group ride on your Tri Bike despite everyone else's objections.
Quote Reply

Prev Next