Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race?
Quote | Reply
If at all, when do you grab it?
Every aid station?
When ish hits the fan?
Bonk city?
Or mixture of all.
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only ever done it once. about 17kms from the end of an 85km ultra. Big mistake and still not sure why I did it. Felt great for about 5kms then had a massive crash.

Realised then, why I'd never done it in the past. Although, perhaps I just need to sort the timing out.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some rules:
  1. Once taken, continue to take.
  2. Dilute the fizz
  3. Monotonically increasing volume

So if you take either at the first running aid station you've got to continue for the rest of the run; add water before drinking and make sure you have at least as much as you've had at the previous aid station.

I jump on the red-robot in the run when my legs start to feel a bit shaky or my pace drops below 4:30/km in the previous km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All throughout the run. I would do it on the bike, too, if they had it at aid stations.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
If at all, when do you grab it?
Every aid station?
When ish hits the fan?
Bonk city?
Or mixture of all.

I never take red bull, too much caffeine.

I take coke whenever it is offered, but I don't see coke being offered very often.

One year at Timberman, some random person handed me a coke and it was awesome.

Another time at the Cascade Cycling Classic after I lost the main bunch on the final climb waiting for a wheel there was a "rogue" feed handing out cokes. It was about 90 degrees out, so getting the coke on that climb was awesome. A few guys got time penalties, but since I was behind the caravan at that point I got a pass (and I lost enough time with the wheel change anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it at 32km of my IM run. Instant buzz and I powered through the last 10km. Just a small cup with a small cup of water every aid station.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before the race, I drink Red Bull and chew a bubblegum. it gives a lot of sugar which will be a stored energy during the race. Then I drink small bits of water to quench my thirst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have only used it on IM, and both times it was somewhere between about miles 13 and 20 where I started taking it, and then I kept taking it every aid station until the finish. That point where the weird joy of getting off your bike and into some nice comfy running shoes has completely worn off, the fatigue of having been racing for hours is really kicking in, and your tastebuds are craving something different.
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually around mile 16 in an IM. I'm usually dying around then and it gives me a little boost of energy. I'll take it at each following aid station. By the end of the race, my teeth will feel like they have a coating of soda on them. It feels pretty gross which is why I never drink soda any other time. It does work though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually alternate Gatorade and water then coke and water. I switched things to at Chattanooga and didn’t take a gel at all during the run so Ieaned even more on the Coke. But last year I’d wait until the back end of the run to start.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my only IM, I started taking it around mile 10-12 when I started feeling more fatigued and took it every aid station after that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a mild Pepsi addiction

During IM I drink an 8 ounce can of Pepsi about 30 minutes into the bike and then wash down a Peanut Butter and Honey sandwich with another one after special needs.

On the run every 3-4 aid stations

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ironman run nutrition rule is stick to my plan until mile 20. After mile 20, anything goes. If I see something that looks good, I will take it. As such, I have taken coke. Not red bull though. I am not sure what it would take to make a redbull look good to me.

Coke does give me a little boost but I am hesitant to add it to my nutrition plan prior to the anything goes mark.
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Usually around mile 16 in an IM. I'm usually dying around then and it gives me a little boost of energy. I'll take it at each following aid station. By the end of the race, my teeth will feel like they have a coating of soda on them. It feels pretty gross which is why I never drink soda any other time. It does work though

+1.
I start between mile 16-18, depending on when I feel I need an energy boost. Mentally it also helps because once I start drinking coke I know I'm "almost done." I don't normally consume caffeine so it gives me a huge boost of energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First aid station on the run and each thereafter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First and foremost. practice in training with it! Don't try it the first time on race day.

Once you start taking it, you will get the immediate sugar boost and caffeine affect. But, it is very short lived. Once you start, you cannot stop the sugar intake or you will crash. Depending on the drink and sugar content, you might need to drink some every 20 to 30 minutes to keep that sugar stream going.

It's basically the kick start when you are burning carbs only and you have burnt through all carbs available in your body (along the lines of the bonk). You have to ingest something that is readily absorbable into the blood stream to keep operating at that level.

Practice with it first as anything with carbonation could upset the stomach. Also anything with that much sugar (like redbull) could cause GI distress.

Lots of pros use it to get through that last hump of the race to keep operating at the same output.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
I did it at 32km of my IM run. Instant buzz and I powered through the last 10km. Just a small cup with a small cup of water every aid station.

^^^ This ^^^

You want to take it in before the last 10k of your run...otherwise there is a chance your body will not process it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never take Red Bull, and usually don't take cola (or really anything) on a sprint or oly. Take cola pretty much every aid station on the run for 70.3 and full distance. May skip it on the first few, but definitely every station on after the first 5 or so miles on a full or 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually start drinking coke (and water) about 6-10 miles into my IM run. Once I can't stand gatorade anymore and need something else. Coke is amazingly refreshing after hours of gatorade and water. Also remember that if you start just doing coke and water that you need some type of electrolyte supplement. I usually have a little salt that I take at the aid stations with the water and coke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't drink coffee regularly but I have a cup an hour before racing. I've also raced with a mixture of Mountain Dew and Heed
in my water bottle. Gives a way better kick than the other stuff you buy!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [NOLAgrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the point of taking Coke for you guys? The caffeine / calories?

Debating whether or not to use on-course nutrition (e.g., Coke, Red Bull, Clif shot blocks) during my first IM or bring my own nutrition (Tailwind in flasks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never tried the coke thing in an event. Where would you do it anyway? It can't get wet in the swim. The bike would just blow it all away. The run you'd be bouncing everywhere. Transition seems like a shady place to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its the SUGAR and caffeine.
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Never tried the coke thing in an event. Where would you do it anyway? It can't get wet in the swim. The bike would just blow it all away. The run you'd be bouncing everywhere. Transition seems like a shady place to do it.

They typically hand it out on the run course at aid stations in small cups, just like the gatorade and water.

I take it on the last 10km of the run (HIM, no IMs yet) and take it because at that point i don't feel like having gels and I like the change of taste. I find it gives me a little boost and signals to my brain and body that we're almost done. I drink it full strength with carbonation and it doesn't bug me but others need it flat or watered down.
Quote Reply
Re: When Do you Take Coke/Redbull During a race? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next