Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When's the last time you haven't swum or rode outside for this long?
Quote | Reply
My last swim was more than three weeks ago. Honestly, I'm not missing swimming in the pool much yet and had only been swimming two times a week, but I realized this morning that the last time I went more than three weeks without swimming was maybe 1986. I'll look through the logs to confirm.

I will be happy when I do my first OWS of the year next month (unless all the public beaches in Ohio are closed).

How long has it been for you since you haven't swum or rode outside for this long?

Edit to original post: I also haven't ridden outside since my last bike commute three weeks ago. 1986 may also be the most recent year I haven't ridden outside for that long. I'm enjoying just running and have chosen at this point not to add the risk from cycling outside, however slight, of ending up in a medical building with folks who may have COVID-19. That decision could change down the road and I'll certainly be happy when I can ride my bike to work again.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 3, 20 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: When's the last time you haven't swum for this long? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly when I served in the army, between 1997 and 1998; I did a few missions where swimming was not available
Quote Reply
Re: When's the last time you haven't swum for this long? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started swimming again about six weeks ago after a break of about three years.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Though I did better this past fall, there are many years that I don't swim much at all during Sept and Oct...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
My last swim was more than three weeks ago. Honestly, I'm not missing swimming in the pool much yet and had only been swimming two times a week, but I realized this morning that the last time I went more than three weeks without swimming was maybe 1986. I'll look through the logs to confirm.

I will be happy when I do my first OWS of the year next month.

How long has it been for you since you haven't swum for this long?

Every offseason đŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
26 years. I'm tearing up my VASA right now at least. I thought about driving to the coast this weekend for an ocean swim, but frankly I just feel like its irresponsible and disrepectful for anyone who is putting their life on the line even if I used to do it very frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was around 1990 when I intentionally missed swimming during a bike trip in Europe. Other than that, I've never missed more than a week in a row. Only exception was after an accident in 2011 and missed 6 weeks. Last 4.5 years, I only missed 1 week a few times due to biz travel, but generally hit 6-7 days per week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
July - right after I crashed my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014, when I started back with masters after a 20+ year hiatus post-university.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam nonstop from about age 7 until 22, burned out and took about a 7 year hiatus from swimming after college.

Since then (8 years ago) I have only been out of the water for more than a month when I have had serious injuries, including 2 broken bones. But I can count those incidents on one hand.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: When's the last time you haven't swum or rode outside for this long? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still riding BUT I REALLY miss swimming. I guess I didn't realize how good it felt on my old bones. I haven't gone this long since 1982.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: When's the last time you haven't swum or rode outside for this long? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I split my heel open hitting the gutter doing a flip turn. That took about 2 months to heel well enough to swim again.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: When's the last time you haven't swum or rode outside for this long? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
When I split my heel open hitting the gutter doing a flip turn. That took about 2 months to heel well enough to swim again.

2 months? I did that in the fall, I think I was out for 2 weeks. that must have been a serious gash..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I started Triathlon...there was a three month break after I got hit by a car. So for four years I've swam at least once per week other than that...so sucks. Riding outside once per week right now.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was off swimming for two months when I had a cervical disk rupture and replacement in October 2018 so three weeks so far is nothing. I never ride outside this early so trainer rides have remained the same or increased a bit to compensate for no swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: When's the last time you haven't swum or rode outside for this long? [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that many Canadians don't/can't/won't ride outdoors between late October to early May.

So for them, they still have six weeks of trainer stuff anyway. It's really, the curling, the bonspiels, that are truly missed by many.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply