Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wheelset upgrade for road bike
Quote | Reply
Hello,
Just looking for recommendations for wheelset upgrade for my Scott Addict disc 30 road bike. There's so much out there so I'd appreciate any feedback as far as good brands to choose from. My current stock wheelset weighs around 2,700g. Looking to find something anywhere 700g to 1,000g lighter. I'm also looking to stay within a budget of $1,000/$1,200. Preferably new but used is on the table.

I did IMLP on this bike back in 2021 and feel like I'm still peddling lol. Doing it again this year but looking for improvement. While I'm well aware it's the "engine" and not the bike, I do feel like I can knock off some time with lighter wheels.

I appreciate any help you can offer up!
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [cbarry2016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you sure about that current weight? that is very heavy! maybe you're weighing ready to ride with tyres and cassette?
the current model addict 30 comes with Syncros RP2.0 wheels which seem to weigh 1750g which is about normal for mid-range road wheels. certainly you can trim some weight off that still but the benefits will be relatively small even on a hilly course. you would likely do better to focus on aerodynamics rather than weight
Last edited by: pk1: Feb 6, 23 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd look at winspace wheels. I'm also currently having a set built by lightbicycle that should be pretty nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED, the best bang for the buck.

Currently on sale, around 1600 gramm:
HED Jet RC5 Plus Disc Brake Wheelset - Black, Shimano/SRAM 11 - My Bike Shop
HED wheels been tested numerous times against best competitirs which cost x3 times more, I would pick them over any Chinese brand any time.
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Feb 6, 23 23:24
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
HED, the best bang for the buck.

Currently on sale, around 1600 gramm:
HED Jet RC5 Plus Disc Brake Wheelset - Black, Shimano/SRAM 11 - My Bike Shop

Running a similar version on my Caledonia. Love em...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Light Bicycle.

Customize your spokes, hub, nippes, rim, decals, whatever. Great wheels, good value.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hear you as the 2,700 does seem high. I re-worked and came up with 2,569g. Here's how I backed into it:
The weight of the Synchos Race 24 wheelset weight (I could not find it listed online) is 3,920 (1,700 front; 2,220 rear). I used the below link as that type of Scott has same wheelset as mine:

https://www.bikeradar.com/...ster-10-disc-review/

I then backed off the following (totaling 1,351g):
* Tiagra 10-spd 11-32 cassette - 355g
*SM-RT64 CL Rotor 160mm - 153g eacch = 306g total
* Schwalbe Durano 700x32 tires (345g per=690g total)

Just know that even if I'm off the mark with some of the above, I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of room for weight savings with the wheels and different tires. I'm also looking to switch to Ultegra r8000 group set.

Thanks so much for your response and feedback!
Chris
Last edited by: cbarry2016: Feb 7, 23 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I will definitely check these out. Thanks for the response!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will check these out. A little scared about the no returns/cancellations etc. But all options are on the table.

Thank you!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [Mongo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good to know. Appreciate the feedback and I look forward to checking these out!

Thank you!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will check these out. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbarry2016 wrote:
I will check these out. A little scared about the no returns/cancellations etc. But all options are on the table.

Thank you!

Chris

Since they're going out of business, that's not surprising. It may be worth confirming with HED that they'll handle any warranty issues directly, since MBS won't be around. I wouldn't worry too much, I've owned around a dozen HED wheelsets over the last 6 years, never even had to put a spoke wrench to one, much less worry about a warranty issue. I love the darned things. In fact, I just bought another set from MBS last week!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks for the info as that gives me some reassurance. With all the replies I have a bunch of options. Now just have to make the decision lol.

Thanks again!

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro bike kit has some deals. I just bought a pair of Reynolds AR41x for under $1000 a pair. Crazy I thought and they are tubeless and still hooked rims.

https://www.probikekit.com/...eelset/11962515.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbarry2016 wrote:
Great. Thanks for the info as that gives me some reassurance. With all the replies I have a bunch of options. Now just have to make the decision lol.

Thanks again!

Chris

What depth rims are you looking for? Reply here or DM, whatever's best for you either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbarry2016 wrote:

Thank you!

Chris

Iā€™ve been shopping for some time for a new set of wheels in that price range, to replace the cheap Chinese set Iā€™ve been riding. I was looking at HED anyway and the MBS sale finally got me to pull the trigger. As has been said I assume HED would still respect the warranty. And those deals are on fire!

I was also looking at Light Bicycle. They have a great choice of rims and have sales a few time a a year where you can get $50-100 off.

HEDā€™s ā€œMade in Americaā€ angle and their long history is what sold me. But no shame in riding Chinese carbon, Iā€™ve had great experiences with my $300 Sunrise sets off Amazon and LB would be a big upgrade over those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd look at HED or Premier tactical wheels

Their 88 wheel tested up to a couple of watts faster than HED's Vanquish 8

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the Premier test include the DT 80mm wheel?

DT seems to test fast, and it's really easy to find on the secondary market for cheap with low mileage since it comes stock on Canyons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be afraid of Chinese carbon. Be very afraid.
Customer support and QC are never overrated.

Check out the Hunt Aerodynamicist line. They are less expensive than Enve or Zipp. I have the 32 with carbon spokes, and the 60 w/ Pillar spokes and they perform well, and feel lively.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Feb 8, 23 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was recently in this conundrum too. I got a pair of used enve foundation 45 for $925. There's deals out there to be had.

I think you should focus first on what you want from the wheels. The only criteria you mentioned was weight but even for IMLP, aero is more important than weight.

Think about what rim depth, inner width, and tubeless compatibility specs you want and narrow your choices that way. And any brand preferences. I even used YouTube to listen to hub sounds of various wheels and narrowed my choices using that metric. By the end of my search I was down to just two models that I knew were my best choice. And from there it was just pouncing on the deal I felt was good.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thank you. You are 100% correct in that Iā€™ve been focusing on the weight and not the aero factor, which is key, as you said, in a race like IMLP. My goal as I lead up to this decision is to get more educated on all the items that you and others have posted. Iā€™m trying to find that balance between finding the perfect wheels for me and keeping the process as simple/painless as possible. I admit it. I need some hand holding with this stuff as Iā€™m not bike equipment savvy. But Iā€™m trying lol.

Anyway, thanks for your post. I appreciate you taking the time and I will dive into the ā€œaeroā€ factor.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, as far as depth I still need to figure out and, in all honesty, get educated on this subject. Iā€™m good with my training but not so great in bike knowledge lol. Though there is a lot to know, it seems. In general, what is the school of thought behind the depth?

And thanks for your response on my thread. I do appreciate it!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset upgrade for road bike [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,
Thanks. Iā€™ve actually looked into both of those and each looks like a great fit.

I appreciate your post on this.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheap wheels typically don't weigh more than 2100 grams.

Mavic Aksium Disc wheelset weighs approximately 1905 grams and costs about $300.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Feb 9, 23 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as an FYI, I bought a front HED Jet 9 wheel from mybikeshop.

They were great to deal with! It's too bad they are going out of business!

When I had an issue with my wheel, not from a defect, but from a tire blowout on a high speed downhill that ruined my wheel, they gave me crash replacement pricing as part of their warranty like no questions asked.

The entire process was super smooth and I could not have been happier with how it went.

+1 to both mybikeshop ( once again sorry to hear them go ) as well as HED and their Jet series wheels.

LOVE the deep sections with aluminum brake surface!! Way safer feeling than when I was riding on my full carbon rims especially in the rain.
Quote Reply

Prev Next