Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelset recommendations for newbie lightweight
Quote | Reply
I'm entering into my second year of triathlon and am looking for an aero wheelset recommendation. I'm an ok bike handler and my racing weight is around 125lbs. I was able to ride on set of Spinergy Rev X last year and didn't really have any handling issues, although I could tell if it were pretty windy I might have trouble. I'd like to be to use the wheels in all conditions(weather, and terrain.)I currently thinking of a pair of Zipp 404's although I don't know if I could handle them if it get windy. Corima aero wheel maybe a 4spoke rear, or something like a Hed 3rear and Zipp 303 front or perhaps a pair of Lew Palermos. Any words of wisdom appreciated, I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible. And of course I'll go tubie. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations for newbie lightweight [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 38mm deep Shimano Dura-Ace Carbon wheelset is available now on the cheap. A rep told me the other day we could sell them for $699 a pair- tubular Shimano 9 speed only, 2002 models. I would imagine your dealer could do the same. These are nice wheels at a good price.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations for newbie lightweight [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, Are there any other "downsides" to the '02 Shimanos besides their relative lack of lateral stiffness?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations for newbie lightweight [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I have a set of the alloy ones that I was given after I made a comment about the lateral stiffness (or lack thereof). I did a 300 mile week on them at a training camp that week. No problems, including some difficult climbs. They were plenty stiff enough- no kidding. For really inexpensive (but still pretty good) you could do Ritchey, the ones that come on many of the Cervelos. We've sold quite a few of these and they are excellent.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations for newbie lightweight [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Shimanos are great for the typical tri user. However, I raced a couple of crits on a set last fall and was thoroughly disappointed. I much preferred my Mavic Classics in the corners and sprints. I like a rock solid feel when I've got several dozed other screaming cyclists all trying to occupy the same piece of asphalt as me.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset recommendations for newbie lightweight [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, definately not crit wheels. Do you need (prefer) that stiffness for triathlons? You do have to give up something at the lower price points. One thing worth keeping in mind is that Zipps are costly becasue they are all things to all people (IMHO): Light, durable, stiff, comfortable. But if you want it all, you have to pay...... "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Carroll Shelby, automotive designer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL at myself........Uhhhh, that would be "dozen"....NOT "dozed" :>

A couple dozen SLEEPING riders would be dangerous no matter WHICH set of wheels they were on!
Quote Reply