Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference?
Quote | Reply

I'm a 160 lbs rider living in a part of the world with high speed descents and gusty wind.

2 years ago, I got a pair of mid section wheels: Nothing really special, just a pair of all around training wheels. While the wheels felt great, I was not really impressed by their stability on windy days.

Few weeks ago i order a different pair of wheels, once a gain nothing special, but i was looking something stable above everything else (for a different bike, long story)...

The new wheels show up last week, and turn out they are pretty similar to the old one: With similar tires, the wheel to tire transition look a little better. But otherwise, if I remove the labels, i will hard press to point out which one is which.

Yesterday, was pretty windy, so i tried the new wheels: and they did feel more stable than the old ones.

So, generally speaking, does few millimeters actually make a difference for stability... or was the 'improvement' more due to other factors (more stable aider, more used to ride outside, etc.)

If so, does different tires improve the stability?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the rim depths of each wheelset?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are 45mm.

The first pair has hook and the manufacturer claim they are faster with 25mm
The second pair is hookless and the manufacturer claim they are faster with 28mm

I'm using 28mm on both, and if there is anything the 1st one look a little wider (1mm)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess would be that there is zero difference between them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not just the depth that matters, it's also the profile. The older "V" shaped profiles are less stable in gusts than the more "U" shaped profiles from designs that started with wheels like the firecrests. I have a 50mm V-shaped Mavic Cosmic Carbone that is less stable than a 90mm HED J9+

There are even the "humpback fins" on some designs that proport to help with stability.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't someone ask the OP what "stability" means before offering suggestions?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What might be happening could be related to what Josh shares here:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7736116#p7736116

A wider tire that makes a rim slightly less aerodynamic can improve crosswind stability, because it makes the front of the rim have less lift/side force at yaw while not substantially lowering side force in the rear.

When total wide force in the front of the wheel is greater than in the rear, the bike feels more “unstable”, because the wind is steering the bike into the wind (due to counter steering), and… well I can’t say exactly why this feels more unstable, but the consensus is that it does.

I’ve noticed this on my Jet 9’s. They are 26mm at brake track with a max width of 28.5mm. With “23mm” tires that measure 25.5mm, you feel crosswinds noticeably more than with “25mm” tires that measure almost 28mm. It’s not a dramatic effect, but it’s absolutely noticeable.

…Though I accept that sometimes we think we think we feel things on our bikes that aren’t real :-)

Anyway if you have wheels optimized for 25mm tire and you run a 28mm then, by this thinking, you’ve hurt the aerodynamics but improved the stability in crosswinds. A wheel optimized for 28mm tires is probably more aero optimized but at the expense of stability.

With all that said, I’m surprised that 45mm deep wheels would create enough instability to tell the difference. But then again with high enough wind that would seem more reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheels stability; does few millimeters make a difference? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Shouldn't someone ask the OP what "stability" means before offering suggestions?

Good question, by stability i mean that the wheels are predictable at high speed in crosswind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
klehner wrote:

Good question, by stability i mean that the wheels are predictable at high speed in crosswind

And what behavior are you seeing that is not "predictable"?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply