Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to confirm my post was intended to highlight issues with a Jet 6 .... I have seen them looking fine on other wheels.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
have one....love it....the only negative? no whoomp whoomp noise....yes im shallow and love that noise...apparently the flo discs are quiet too?

Yeah there's really not much of a whoomp whoomp from the FLO DISC. It's still fast though ;)

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:
have one....love it....the only negative? no whoomp whoomp noise....yes im shallow and love that noise...apparently the flo discs are quiet too?

Yeah there's really not much of a whoomp whoomp from the FLO DISC. It's still fast though ;)

Take care,

That whoomp whoomp is over-rated anyway. I must have passed like 10 people with deep carbon rims and/or discs in my recent HIM, and all of them were whoomp whoomping away - behind me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can i get a whoomp whoomp!

awww cmon, everyone likes the whoomp!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the stealth sound.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a wheelcover so i know about stealth....just sometimes I'd like to sound like a freight train, even if im not travelling like one :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
i have a wheelcover so i know about stealth....just sometimes I'd like to sound like a freight train, even if im not travelling like one :(

Doesn't that whoomp whoomp sound make you slower b/c of the energy needed to make the sound? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you might be onto something....maybe ill just have to yell 'whoomp whoomp' if i pass someone
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [jacobtri92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So at what point can one justify buying a cover and not look like a "fred?" Does one have to be a podium or near-podium finisher to avoid the hecklers? Or will it provide enough of a difference to help even those of us still climbing the ranks? (in anticipation of the typical questions, yes I have invested in my own training/strength first, invested in a bike (blue triad w/ AC420s) and have an aero helmet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Canadian wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Take care,

That whoomp whoomp is over-rated anyway. I must have passed like 10 people with deep carbon rims and/or discs in my recent HIM, and all of them were whoomp whoomping away - behind me.

Haha!

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [capetomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, just get the cover, there won't be a "fred" look. $100 is a small investment with a big return!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [capetomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
capetomb wrote:
So at what point can one justify buying a cover and not look like a "fred?" Does one have to be a podium or near-podium finisher to avoid the hecklers? Or will it provide enough of a difference to help even those of us still climbing the ranks? (in anticipation of the typical questions, yes I have invested in my own training/strength first, invested in a bike (blue triad w/ AC420s) and have an aero helmet).

If it makes you feel any better, there were plenty of slowsters at my last race that had super uber pricey gear, and it made no difference to me or anyone else around. While I myself do think it's Fredly to be BOP and rocking the most expensive gear on the planet, in reality on race day and even in transition etc., I don't care at all - have never looked at anyone I passed or even blew by and thought 'what a poser.'

Anybody who knows enough about the sport to even worry about this stuff knows full well that it's all about the rider - the aero gear helps, but only a teensy amount.

I recall passing at least 4 guys and gals in my last race who had Zipp 1080 front/rear or Zipp 1080 front+Zipp disc, current-gen TT bike like a Shiv, aero helmet, and they were whomp whomping away quite happily - I'm not even that fast, but I passed them at literally twice the speed they were going, and this wasn't even a hill. I didn't think they were posers, and even now, don't think they were posers, even if I wouldn't do the same at their speed.

Just rock your stuff. The aero disccover is sufficiently inexpensive that nobody will think you're a poser just for rocking one. In fact, they'll think you're smart for maximizing bang for the buck. I'm dead honest when I say that I fear the younger men using disc-covers than the young men with all-out Zipp wheels, as the disc-cover guys are often just like me - we spent a good chunk of change on the sport, but we prioritize performance far more than bling/looks, and the aerojacket fits these criteria completely. Not saying Zipp users aren't training hard to maximize performance, but it's also highly unlikely that someone who's more into the gear than the performance will choose an aerojacket when they can purchase the slightly cooler looking and way cooler sounding full carbon disc wheel. I waged an epic bike battle of 56 miles against 2 guys with aerojackets in my very last race so it's imprinted on me well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Me too, gives me tingles all over. I'd love to see your P2 with the disc cover...

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I tried to think back to a race last summer where I noticed a poser and honestly couldn't remember noticing any. I'm sure they were there, it just didn't matter to me at the time. So I think you're right in that nobody really cares. I do remember rolling by someone with a disc wheel but I think I was more proud of myself than thinking they were a poser. I'm definitely not BOP, so I feel better about that. I tend to be top 10% or so, but those are small local races (2nd place AG in one sprint and 3rd place AG in one Olympic--again, smaller local races, not a brag by any means!) Maybe a couple minor upgrades like a cover will give me that small boost I need to more consistently place in my AG.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [rsawiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich,

I want to put a cover on my Williams System 58 rear wheel. I bought it in July 2012 and it has the Six-Sixty hub.

When I look at my wheel tonight, how can I identify whether or not my hub flange will allow the cover to fit?

The Williams site allows you to zoom in on the hub. Any chance you can take a look and let me know if a cover will work?
http://www.williamscycling.com/...n-Clincher_p_42.html

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine. I use it with my power tap wheel on races of 70.3 or longer. Short races, I am not concerned with measuring power. A disk is nice because it likely designated just for races. This means that you do not have to put the cover on for the race, change cassettes, change to race tires. Saves me about an hour per pre-race to use a disc instead of cover. A disc with a power tap would be ideal, but an expensive I can not justify.
Yes, the wheel covers work fine. I like the taping method over the screws. Never had a problem.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [TeamHall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a wheel / frame that will not fit a Wheelbuilder cover try Dyma. You do not have to remove the cassette to install the cover so it may fit your wheel.
http://dyma.calforsyth.com/products.html
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [rsawiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich-
any idea whether or not the cover will work with a Speed Concept and Aura wheels, duotrap installed? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably the best $100 bucks you can spend. I just received mine so I haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Installation can be a pain though. Mine fits exact over the drive hub but sits too high and causes the cassette/chain to rub. I had to play around a few times with tape on the backside to get it to lay flat against the spokes. I think I may have a slight warp on the drive side but only a little. Looking at the backside the cover is riding on the spokes at the hub causing the clearance issue. I could open the hole up more but that's more of a last resort in my mind. Non drive side fits great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Canadian wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Take care,

This.

The whoomp whoomp is identical going backwards too.
And significantly less "impressive".

Disk cover is the single best bang/buck thing you can do.
The air thinks it's a multi-$grand spendy disk. Your wallet knows it cost less than a C-note.
I'm on my 2nd one now, as the first one started cracking around the hub, and the holes were pulling thru - but this was after dozens of races/installs/removals.
It owed me exactly nothing at that point.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cracking at the hub is fine - I accidentally cut the hub hole for my aerojacket wider on one side since I forgot that the powertap side is already bigger, so on the cassette side my aerojacket has a big ugly cutout all jagged (yup rookie user error - no cutting was needed if you put the right side on!). It's however completely invisible with the cover on and works perfectly when taped on to the rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my aerojacket in for my Sram S80....need to do some trimming as the cover didn't completely clear the base of the hub....it was rubbing and the wheel won't free spin for very long. Diff looking to try it out at a race next week....love the way it looks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Disk cover is the single best bang/buck thing you can do.
The air thinks it's a multi-$grand spendy disk. Your wallet knows it cost less than a C-note.
I'm on my 2nd one now, as the first one started cracking around the hub, and the holes were pulling thru - but this was after dozens of races/installs/removals.
It owed me exactly nothing at that point.

All true. I have one for an 808 with PowerTap but I admit I've gotten too lazy to want to bother with installing it, switching out the tube and tire for a race setup, cassette removal/install, etc. I want a race ready disc with a cassette already on it that I can slap on in seconds for local TTs as well as my races. A Quarq is the first step in the process.

The cover works great and when I raced with it along with race tires and latex tubes I was significantly faster on less wattage. The bang for your buck is for real. Mine will be in the classifieds in the next month or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
The cracking at the hub is fine - I accidentally cut the hub hole for my aerojacket wider on one side since I forgot that the powertap side is already bigger, so on the cassette side my aerojacket has a big ugly cutout all jagged (yup rookie user error - no cutting was needed if you put the right side on!). It's however completely invisible with the cover on and works perfectly when taped on to the rim.

I'll see you, and raise:
I "trimmed" the NDS part of my cover, as I was getting a little rub on the stay of my P4.
Then, my PT hub eventually died, and Saris was kind enough to replace it with the new G3 hub under warranty.
The G3 is much smaller, so not only do I have an unnecessarily-large hole there now, it looks like it was gnawed by a family of rabid beavers.
(it doesn't appear to have much measurable impact on performance, so I've just ignored it, rather than replacing the cover)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [TriRyno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not going to fit on your Speed Concept frame. The non-drive side cover tends to run into the Duo-Trap sensor mount, even when it's not installed in the frame.

Wheelbuilder.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next