Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options?
Quote | Reply
For the record, I'm combing through past similar threads with similar key words, like damage and ebay.

The buyer is very calm and nice. He had questions prior and has been very responsive and good on communication on both sides. Wheel got damaged during shipping. Seems the cassette made a whole in the box and the axle/"QR hole" has damage beyond repair is my guess. it's an old powertap wheel, don't think that matters. Got some pictures from the buyer.

Do I have recourse through Fedex/Ebay shipping? Any ideas? I don't have$250 to just give away.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt you'll be covered. I guess first is did you buy insurance?
And then even if you did, I'm not sure if they cover damage caused by poor packing. And no offence, but if the cassette punched a hole through the side of the box, then you didn't pack the wheel properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I doubt you'll be covered. I guess first is did you buy insurance?
And then even if you did, I'm not sure if they cover damage caused by poor packing. And no offence, but if the cassette punched a hole through the side of the box, then you didn't pack the wheel properly.

I've shipped and received wheels before with cassettes on. I packed it with end plugs on both ends. The way I've done it before and the way they've been shipped to me before.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which hub model? Depending on the hub the end caps may ne replaceable. I'm sure you have looked into it but of not may be worth a call to powertap directly.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [Wifeofatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cassette side. So not the whole freehub but just the end cap may be replaceable?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potentially. I know newer g3 models are. I'd give power tap a ring. May be a $50 solution to a more expensive problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since damaged during shipping, I'd think FedEx is the potential place to make a claim. However, I believe eBay FedEx package value is set at $100 unless you declare higher value and pay additional for that coverage in case of a claim. What value did you you declare with FedEx when you shipped?

Also, was the recipient present when the package was delivered and did they note to the delivery person that the package was damaged before they accepted it? Did the ask if they could refuse delivery because they saw it was damaged? (I believe it helps your claim if the delivery record already says it was damaged prior to delivery.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if the end cap isn't a separate piece, then wouldn't the whole axle be replaceable? Take some pics and send to powertap. Send them enough pics of the entire hub that they won't have any issue identifying the exact model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Even if the end cap isn't a separate piece, then wouldn't the whole axle be replaceable? Take some pics and send to powertap. Send them enough pics of the entire hub that they won't have any issue identifying the exact model.
I'll most definitely do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
For the record, I'm combing through past similar threads with similar key words, like damage and ebay.

The buyer is very calm and nice. He had questions prior and has been very responsive and good on communication on both sides. Wheel got damaged during shipping. Seems the cassette made a whole in the box and the axle/"QR hole" has damage beyond repair is my guess. it's an old powertap wheel, don't think that matters. Got some pictures from the buyer.

Do I have recourse through Fedex/Ebay shipping? Any ideas? I don't have$250 to just give away.

Thanks!

$100 is the Fedex default as far as I remember so you can get $100 back + probably the cost of shipping. With that being said, I can assure you it will take a bit of an effort to make this happen but if you are vigilant with Fedex you will likely get a check for ~$125+.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take that.
I don't think I added the extra insurance to make it 200. I must have thought it was the same as usps ebay shipcover or whatever it's called.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also check with powertap to see if they can help at all. I bought a powertap wheel used from someone and the sensor was having issues. I sent it in and they sent me the wheel with a whole new hub. Their customer service is great so they can probably help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those powertap end plugs just come right off...

you might need to educate your buyer

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel sold on eBay, damaged during shipping, used eBay Fedex shipping, what are my options? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
those powertap end plugs just come right off...

you might need to educate your buyer
Yes I spoke to powertap and the end cap which is what needs to be replaced no longer exists. They said I could try to file it down. We'll see. Looks like I'll be out some money and not a total loss. Will still submit a claim with ebay Fedex.
Quote Reply