Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel out of round, How bad is too bad?
Quote | Reply
I have the Specialized version of the Hed 3 and my rear wheel has gotten out of round. It is only off by about1-2mm and I can notice a slight hop in the wheel when on new pavement. I am debating on hanging the wheel up and using my new Bontrager X-Lite aeros for IM Florida. Does the wheel being out of round effect the overall performance enough to not use it? Would I be better off using a perfectly true wheel? Is the aerodynamic advantage worth an annoying little hop for 112 miles?

Thanks,

A.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel out of round, How bad is too bad? [Wireless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it would drive me crazy in a lot less than 112. The real question is what caused it to go out of round? Something is deteriorating. That must be a pretty old wheel. I wouldn't trust it. It's hang it up.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides being annoying, that hop wastes energy. I'd use a perfectly true and round wheel in the back. My Trispokes did the same thing and I am turning them into a pair of end-tables this winter.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel out of round, How bad is too bad? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wheel "should" have a lifetime warranty...first call Specialized...if not, maybe call Hed and they "Might" do a crash replacement for you.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel out of round, How bad is too bad? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I e-mailed Specialized and they referred me to my local dealer. I stopped by my local dealer and they informed there was nothing that could be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it real bad in that it effects your performance or just gets in your head? I've had some training wheels that I ride on until they are like stop signs.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel out of round, How bad is too bad? [damn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not "real" bad however just knowing that it is out of round has a mental impact. I honestly don't think there would be time difference between the two wheels, I just hate to make a wall decoration out of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well maybe this will help you decide to buy a new one or not. I wish I had a tri spoke wheel. Give it to me and I'll race the heck out of it and that little hop won't bother me. If you can give it away without thinking it's making someone else faster than it's ok to get a new wheel.

If you would want money for it or wouldn't want to have someone in your race with that wheel, ride it some more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should take it to another dealer - and call Specialized back...I am damn near positive that wheel has a "Lifetime" warrantee.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply