Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel lifespan?
Quote | Reply
I'm running a pair of 9 year old Spinergy Rev-X on my Slingshot. I've never had any negative issues with them and they've carried me over lots of miles. But 9 years old is just that. Can you offer any thoughts on whether I can keep going with them or do they need to be replaced?.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of those for just about the same time frame as you---until UPS bent the front wheel in shipping to Kona. Until then they were absolutely bulletproof, though I was pretty religious about checking them thoroughly before and after each ride. No issues whatsoever, even with some of the horror stories floating around about Spinergy in general.

As to your question, I'm no expert, but if they are still working for you, are not showing any visible signs of cracking or otherwise wearing, I would say keep on 'em, though the choices in wheelsets has greatly increased since you and I bought these wheels and you might find yourself a better choice for not a lot of money. Some of the bike- and tri-shop owners might weigh in on some of the pros and cons of continuing to ride on these wheels. If you have a trusted mechanic that will give you the straight scoop on the real condition of your current wheels, go there first and make your decision based on that feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't know about spinergy but I have a Zipp front that is from 1994. Still has the original carbon hub and still is true. Lighter than the 2003 zipp front wheels to boot.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I keep looking them over real good and I find no cracks or separations or anything. I've tried to maintain them. I just got a message from from the Spinergy folks and they say as long as there is no apparent damage or anything....keep rolling. I'll make a special request at my LBS to have the wrench give them a good going over when it goes in for regular check-up.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a set of Mavic GP-4 tubulars, which my Mother purchased for me in 1984. I don't ride the rear anymore due to compatibiltiy with 9 speed (The DA hub was a 6 speed), but the front is still in perfect working condition. 40,000+ miles and I've never needed to have the damn wheel trued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If these are clinchers the most important thing to check is the brake sidewall thickness. The sidewalls will wear away over time due to brake forces and a sort of sandpaper effect where the brake shoes either contain grit to make braking more aggressive (the two most likely options both have a mild abrasives in their pads, Kool Stop or Zipp pads do not) or the pads can trap dirt and grit from the environment causing this to happen. If you mountain bike much, you may have split a rim from over ridding it, where you just sand through the sidewall and the thing pops open one day with a big circumferential split around the rim, this can happen on road rims as well, but requires less material removal because the tire pressures are much higher, and consequently tends to fail much more violently than in the mtn. bike scenario. The key thing to know would be what is the manufacturers initial rim width spec, and their minimum rim width spec. (if they have one) Most rims now have followed the new European standards and contain a groove or small hole in the rim sidewall that either wears away or shows through when the rim sidewall reached minimum thickness. Typically, the extra material in a rim to allow for wear is 0.010-0.015" (0.25-0.4mm) per side, so if your rim is more than 0.5mm thinner than when it was new, it's probably time to retire it, and if it is more than 0.8mm thinner than new, you should toss it (or get better health insurance).

This is still an issue on tubulars, but not nearly to the same effect due to the way the tire loads the rim.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan? [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koolstop and Zipp - that is odd...does Koolstop not make the Zipp pads?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan? [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I think I was being confusing. I was trying to say that the two most common brake pads out there do have abrasives added (ie, the ones your bike probably came with), but Zipp pads and Kool stop pads do not have any. We utilize their molds for our pads, but with our raw materials, but both of us feel pretty strongly about not adding abrasives to the pads as it increases brake temperatures and decreases rim life.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply