Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whats the easiest (for lack of better term) Kona qualifier?
Quote | Reply
I am a 36 year old male.....and dont say Malaysia LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the easiest (for lack of better term) Kona qualifier? [mainetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have hear statistically, it is New Zealand. Canada often has a deep rolldown due to proximity to Kona.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the easiest (for lack of better term) Kona qualifier? [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having associated with friends who have been on the "qualifying trail" for some years now, I would echo IM Canada for the rolldown. In addition, it seems that when the WTC rolls out a new race they give it more spots than usual to try to drum up interest. They do this by "stealing" from more established races. Good luck, race all the way to the tape, and be sure to attend the roll down meeting !

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the easiest (for lack of better term) Kona qualifier? [mainetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically it is the one that you are not doing that year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go here: http://www.triresults.com/rptIMHawaiiQualifiers_year.cfm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In North America Lake Placid and Canada have the deepest rolldowns maybe up to 20 spots in your age group. Florida and Wisconsin are tough because few if any spots roll down and Wisco only has 80 spots. Qualifying at the 1/2 IMs is even harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats the easiest (for lack of better term) Kona qualifier? [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
used to be malaysia. Japan has fairly easy times for AGers.
Brazil too...but the word has spread now...two years ago, they would just call and say 'anyone in this AG who wants to go to Kona, please come forward' (true! this happened for W30-34, W25-29, M-35-39 and M.40-44 I think)...

if you are rich, the EBayMan is the easiest ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, your age does you no favours. Typically, the men 35 - 39 is very deep and competitive. The bad news is that it does not really get that much easier in the 40 - 45.

As other's have said, you may have to travel further afield to find an IM that is not as deep or competitive, or one such as IMC that may not be the best in terms of timing. However, that being said the roll-down at IMC is very variable. Some years all the spots go to the top placed qualifiers in other years there are significant roll downs. It's a bit of the roll of the dice.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply