Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whats Your Racing Tubular
Quote | Reply
I usually race on tubular tires as I just feel faster on tubular's. So my question is not whether or not tubular's are the way to go, but which tire you would use to race on? I generally attempt to choose a tire that strikes a balance between weight and durability, like a Continental Competition or Sprinter.I would really like to hear other STers experiences and opinions on racing tubular's.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [trithink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what type of race. For TT or tri I love the vittoria Crono IIs. For road races, crits etc. pretty much any of the 23-25 challenge, vittoria, or veloflex that are sub 250 gms and have latex tubes.

Not really fond of conti tubulars, as they are a bit slow rolling.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trithink wrote:
I usually race on tubular tires as I just feel faster on tubular's. So my question is not whether or not tubular's are the way to go, but which tire you would use to race on? I generally attempt to choose a tire that strikes a balance between weight and durability, like a Continental Competition or Sprinter.I would really like to hear other STers experiences and opinions on racing tubular's.
Veloflex Records are my race tires. Vittoria are my next choice and these two are all i use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa or Challenge Criterium on the road.

Vitt Pista Evo or Conti Steher on the track.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My race tubular is and will always be a Tufo Elite Jet 160.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
conti competition or GP4000 are the best, conti has much better durability compare with vittoria.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [wzlsimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tufo Jet on the front & Corsa CX on the back. I prefer the Corsa (Vittoria) but the Tufo is in such great shape there isn't a reason to get rid of it from a "wallet" standpoint. I'll replace it with a Vittoria when it is ready to get rid of. I only race with it though so it may be a while...
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [wzlsimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i used to use GP4000 and Sprinter Gatorskin for 2 years right now i'm using two of competition in front, GP4000 in rear, another rear on is vittoria corsa evo slick, the one is actually leaking..... i had another corsa evo slick last year but it was flat. also, the schwalbe ultremo ht is another good choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally attempt to choose a tire that strikes a balance between weight and durability, like a Continental Competition or Sprinter.

Racing only = Continental Podium. Thin tread so don't train on them or you will wear them out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trithink wrote:

Veloflex Record or Conti Podium TT. The Record is just plain stupid fast, and people will complain that the lip is terrible in terms of aerodynamics, but I believe these tests were done on the Record from a long time back when the lip was much more pronounced. Regardless you can always run it on the rear. With that being said, I don't ride tubulars anymore but if I did it would probably be the Conti Podium TT.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to use conti's then i got a deal on vitoria evo cx. Nothing beats the plush ride and it rates really high on the free speed charts. My only complaint is that the ride is so plush that when you start using them, you feel like your riding on a partial flat. Still fast but it takes up so much more shock than my training tire (gp4000 clincher) A set lasts me about 1000 miles so its my race only tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [tryguy67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Vittoria corsa evo cx tires too and they are great. I do not find that they wear faster than the other tires I used in the past.
I did put a Pitt stop in them and never had a flat tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflex 25mm or carbons!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Corsa Evo SC for crits and road races. So far I've had good luck with them. For IM, I might swap to a gp4000 front for the aero/puncture resistent benefit and put something on the rear that is a little more flat resistent than a corsa but rolls better than the gp4000. If only the gp4000s had latex tubes...
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the rolling CRR penalty of the butyl tubes? Wondering if the aero improvement of this or a GP4000 tubular offsets the CRR penalty of butyl vs latex.

Do they even out vs a VIttoria EVO CX that's less aero, but has latex? Conti up front, Vittoria EVO in back?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jacked from another ST thread last year... it tested a hair slower than a Vittoria Crono. The tire might have been changed though since 2010. I've seen some older pictures that show it without a vectran belt and with thicker tread. I think it would be a good bet for speed and puncture resistance, just poor tread life.

----------------------------------------------

Tour Magazin 2010 tire test.

Conti Podium 22 (not sure if it is the exact same version that's being sold in 2012) :

21,6 x 19,4 Millimeter
225 Gramm
33,6 Watt
36,1 Watt
180 Sekunden
28,6 km/h
Schlauchreifen, Butyl

Vittoria Crono Evo 22 320 tpi

20,7 x 18,6 Millimeter
184,7 Gramm
33,2 Watt
34,6 Watt
5 Sekunden
28,6 km/h
Schlauchreifen, Latex

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure exactly what I'm looking at. The conti w/ butyl tube is about the same as the Vittoria with a latex one?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if that conti has a latex tube.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Whats Your Racing Tubular [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's latex. They put butyl tubes in all their retail tubulars.

I'm not sure what the two wattages represent exactly, but lower is better.

Heck, just have a look at Continental's site. http://www.conti-online.com/...poII/tempoII_en.html

All the good tubulars seem to have the same 3x 60tpi casing... except for the Olympic track tire which only comes in 3/4" width (19mm), and is 2x 110tpi. The good clinchers are all 3x 110tpi, so I have no idea why they use a thicker cord in most of the tubulars, but anyway... The track tires all have thin tread and no vectran. The Podium TT looks like a track tire only with a vectran belt. If I was seriously going for speed I'd run either the Olympic on a narrow rim... or probably the Tempo on a wide one.

Last edited by: rruff: Feb 28, 13 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwable Ultremo HT
Quote Reply