Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What wows you more?
Quote | Reply
I am not a talented runner. I have a lot of endurance and no top end speed. I have been training my running a lot, and I have dreams of a 1:30 run split in a 1/2IM and a 3:30 run in a full IM in the next couple of years. Whether or not this will happen, only time will tell, but I think these are pretty good times, and if I could achieve them I would consider myself fast. But I cannot even begin to comprehend a 5 minute mile. I haven't ever even broken 6. To me a 5 minute mile is WAY harder than a 3:30 marathon. Do all you fast people out there have both the speed and the endurance? Which is harder to do?

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: What wows you more? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure you can compare them in terms of difficulty. To me, a 5 minute mile is not hard, and never has been.

I think your question is personalized in that...I'm guessing (but fairly sure) that training to get you, who admittedly can't run under 6, to run 5 is going to take quite a bit of work. I would suppose that you are closer to a 1:30 1/2 split than anything...although I would tend to think that if you can run 1:30...that you'd have to run under 6 for 1 mile.

At the end of the day...don't make the mistake of assuming that you won't need at least a bit of speed to run fast over long distance. In fact, the less overall endurance you have, the more speed you need to run fast at the longer distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my personal opinion, the 5 min mile is definetly harder. i ran a 5'00'' and a 4'57'' back in high school and doubt that i will ever see those times again (i'm only about 4 years removed). that took almost a whole season of focused miler training, and to achieve those times, i only focused on that particular event (just for those two races, i couldn't graduate w/o breaking 5'!! ) however, after a few months of very sparse endurance training, i ran a 3:31 marathon (stand alone). my top mileage for this marathong MAY have been about 20 mpw. so in my experience, a 5' mile is HARD! (and not to mention much more painful while you're doing it! )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're talking 5 minutes even for the mile then I vote for that. I've done a 1:27 standalone 1/2 and a 3:08 full, I could see taking those down some and maybe hitting those IM splits you've set out, but going from a 5:30-5:40 mile to 5:00 might be impossible. I've never really focused on trying to improve at that distance but I think the shorter the distance is the more genetics starts to play a factor.

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF,

Speed and endurance are two separate goals.

Many, who only have a casual understanding of exercise physiology, commonly presume that as they build endurance, they will also get faster. This is true to only a very limited degree and to a greater degree, false.

To get faster, one needs to do speed work.

From junior high school through college I was a competitive runner. After college and my running "career", I became interested in recreational cycling.

Permit me to use a different sport, cycling, where endurance and speed play similar and competing roles, to illustrate the relationship of speed and endurance and what you may need to consider for your training to improve your speed.

Perhaps you are familiar with the cycling event called The Race Across America, often called RAAM. This is an annual non-stop coast to coast bicycle race where the shortest elapsed time wins. There are many divisions but the division that captures the most publicity and notoriety is the solo division.

One of the greats in ultra marathon cycling and the current speed record holder for this event is Pete Penseyres.

The first year that he won RAAM, 1985, he trained for endurance with some weekly mileage totals of over 1200 miles per week. His commute to work was approximately 30 miles which he rode on his bicycle every day. This was a minimum of 60 miles a day. On the way home, he would often take a longer route.

The following year he wished to compete again, but unfortunately his lifestyle would not permit him a similar training opportunity to accumulate the mileage he had the previous year while training for RAAM.

Pete rode significantly fewer miles the following year, but he balanced the reduction in mileage with an increase in speed work. The net result...he won RAAM again in 1986 and set a speed record, 15.4mph average speed, that still stands today!

What this means for you is that you will not get significantly faster by only working on training for endurance. You must train to run faster!

You would definitely benefit from working with an experienced long distance running coach, if you could afford one and could locate one. Barring this, you should study up on long distance running and training and you will definitely improve your performance by modifying your training to achieve your goals.

Good luck.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Jan 27, 05 6:00
Quote Reply