Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would you do....???
Quote | Reply
So, here in Nashville we have the Music City Triathlon this Sunday. This year they have added a sprint race to the event which basically is one loop of everything instead of two (except for the swim which is only 400 meters). I am racing the olympic, that is not the issue. Today during lunch my girlfriend told me that one of her co-workers (who I know and has always very eagerly talked with me about triathlons) has decided today that he is going to sign up for the sprint race. He has never competed in any event before and he just decided that he can do this. I asked her whether he has swam before and she told me that he "knows" how to swim and he was wondering if I could go to the pool with him to give him a few pointers. He also said it can't be that hard, that's only like 16 laps in the pool. Well, my issue is that I am a little nervous to go give him a "lesson" this close to the race. This is a river swim so there will be currents and it is a pretty crowded race with a bunch of beginners.

So here is my question, would you continue to try and convince him to not race this event and that you will work with him to get him ready for another event (not that I am a swim coach or anything but you know how people view us triathletes - I think he should work towards a pool swim race first) or would you go give him the "lesson" and hope for the best? I don't want to be connected to a tragedy....I have never seen him swim, bike or run before, but my real fear, as it should be, is with his swim.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do....??? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give the lesson, and put him in a wetsuit with the 8mm bellyside. This will be great prep for his ironman next summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think "if it ain't yours, don't pick it up." Dude wants to do a triathlon. Let him do it. Offer some help, encouragement, or otherwise as you are able and willing. Otherwise leave him be. He's a big boy. Stop going all nanny-state on us.
Quote Reply
Re: What would you do....??? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my concern is that I have heard too many stories about people entering triathlons because they think they are easy and finding out too quickly on the swim that this is not the case and bad things happening...I don't want to be that guy that gave a buddy one swim lesson and then told him it was cool to race in open water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lassie Fair. He's a grown-up, right? I would avoid him for the next few days.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine you're a Type-A (like most Slowtwitchers), and would never stomach the thought of entering a race yourself that you hadn't studiously prepared for. I also imagine that this guy you are talking about is not a Type-A and thinks nothing of doing something for the first time without preparation.

I am the former and have known many of the latter. I've even been beat by the latter. Wish the guy luck and tell him you'd be happy to work with him after this race, and spend your energy getting yourself ready for the weekend. And keep one eye over your shoulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you know how people view us triathletes

That we are little girls who can't make simple decisions on our own?

Quote Reply
Re: What would you do....??? [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly...hairless little girls
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would let him know that one lesson is not going to make a bit of difference this weekend. Also, this is not a point-to-point river swim. and certaintly not like 16 laps in the pool. If the swim is the same as last year then about half of it is upstream which will make things much more difficult depending on the current.
Quote Reply