Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What was the scam that went like.....
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your recent mail, though, I'm really interested in buying the bike from you but......I wouldn't like to get into bidding war with other interested buyers likewise you the seller....so I will offer you $600 for the bike to show you how serious I am. I hope $600 is a good reasonable offer? So pls get back to me immediately if we have business to conduct. Anyway....just to let you know........ I have a shipper that would take care of the shipping of the mortiser after payment must have been made and your consent is gained. I am willing to pay you $600 you are willing to sell to me and to neglect every other interested buyers for it. I want to believe business is all about trust.At present,I am not in the U.S.A,I travelled on a business trip.But,as regards payments,this is what I will do.I will as my client in the U.S.A that is owing me to issue you a U.S.A cashier's check,this check $4900 that will be sent to you will cover the money for the purchase,pick up by and also insurance and some other items that need to be shipped.

So what you will do is to receive the check,take it to any check cashing store or take it to your bank and cash it immediately,deduct your money and do me the favour of sending the remaining funds to my shipper through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER so that the pick up can be done immdiately at your location.I hope I can count on you for the balance.

Pls get back to me with the name and address to which the check will be made out to if my terms is accepted.Pls include your phone number too,

Mark.........

I just got this today as my mtn bike is for sale in NC....I know I have seen this same crap here on ST
Last edited by: imanbri: Oct 30, 04 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: What was the scam that went like..... [imanbri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 yeah, I got a few like this frompeople trying to buy my P3. I know it's a scam, but why do they go to such lengths? What's up with the "I have a shipper" business?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold a bike on ebay and received a similiar private message from a guy who claimed to be a Christian cyclist. He had money owed to him from some deals that fell through but he'd instruct them to send the check to me. Just cash his check, keep the extra change and send the bike. No questions asked and I'd make about double what I was asking.

Yeah, and I was just born yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to sell my bike, too. Maybe we can make a deal with him for both!!
Quote Reply
Re: What was the scam that went like..... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the truly sad thing about all this...they keep doing it because it works. i hate to admit it, but i know a guy who fell for it, and is now out $5000. the only good thing to come of it was the "certified cheque" came back NSF before he had shipped the bike, but he had already forwarded all the other money to the "purchasers" client. unfortunately there really is a sucker born every minute. never thought i'd actually know one though.

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply