Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What training to do now?
Quote | Reply
With the cancellation of Augusta HIM, I'm looking for input on what I should do to continue to gain fitness. I am in week 14 of a 20 week training program that had me "peaking" for Augusta. I put quotes around peaking, because this is my first HIM and frankly, "peaking' is a stretch compared to most of you folks.

My last two weeks have felt really good and, while Strava fitness numbers are probably not comparable from one person to another, my Strava (and Elevate) fitness numbers have steadily increased at a rate that I feel comfortable and I don't dread going out to train.

Here was/is my schedule for last week/this week.
Sun - rest
Mon - 1 hr run with 3x (1/2 mile at open half marathon pace, 1/4 mile recovery) and all the rest at z2
Tue - 75 min over geared bike
Wed - 2,400 meter swim (no rests)
Thurs - 60 min z2 bike, followed by 30 min brick (20 @ ohmp, 10 recovery)
Frii - 2,400 meter swim (no rests)
Sat - 55 miles easy (2,500 ft climbing)
Sun - rest
Mon - 90 min run (10 min z2 warm up, 5x -(30hmp, :30recovery, 1:00hmp, 1:00rec, 1:30hmp, 1:30rec, 2:00hmp, 2:00rec, 5:00min z2), 5:00 cool down
Tues - 2,400 meter swam (no rests)
Wed - 60min z2 bike, followed by 20 min z2 brick
Thurs - 2,400 meter swim (no rests)
Fri - 20 min bike with 5x (15sed sprint, 15sec recovery), 8 mile z2 run
Sat - 55 mile bike, z3 on climbs, z2 rest of ride

The plan focuses on biking and the swim focus is only on maintaining endurance since I hate swim drills.

I'm thinking of adding a recovery week for the third week like this:
Sun - rest
Mon - 45min z2 run
Tue - 1,900 meter swim (:30 sec rest every 400 meters)
Wed - rest
Thurs - 1 hr z2 ride
Fri - 1 hr z2 run
Sat - 40 mile z2 bike

And then just repeating these three weeks until I figure out what race I'm actually training for.

I'm new at tri, so I know you experienced 70.3 and 140.6 folks are probably thinking "Do more...55 mile is all you're doing?" This is kind of the most my schedule will allow based on my slowness (Hey I'm 60 yo and still increasing my fitness and speed)

So for what time my schedule allows, realizing I only like actually doing the swimming/biking/running and I want to continue to increase my fitness while not getting injured (I have not had an injury since I restarted training in 2015 after 30 years of no training), how does this look for slowly increasing fitness for a 70.3?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: What training to do now? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
With the cancellation of Augusta HIM, I'm looking for input on what I should do to continue to gain fitness. I am in week 14 of a 20 week training program that had me "peaking" for Augusta. I put quotes around peaking, because this is my first HIM and frankly, "peaking' is a stretch compared to most of you folks.

My last two weeks have felt really good and, while Strava fitness numbers are probably not comparable from one person to another, my Strava (and Elevate) fitness numbers have steadily increased at a rate that I feel comfortable and I don't dread going out to train.

Here was/is my schedule for last week/this week.
Sun - rest
Mon - 1 hr run with 3x (1/2 mile at open half marathon pace, 1/4 mile recovery) and all the rest at z2
Tue - 75 min over geared bike
Wed - 2,400 meter swim (no rests)
Thurs - 60 min z2 bike, followed by 30 min brick (20 @ ohmp, 10 recovery)
Frii - 2,400 meter swim (no rests)
Sat - 55 miles easy (2,500 ft climbing)
Sun - rest
Mon - 90 min run (10 min z2 warm up, 5x -(30hmp, :30recovery, 1:00hmp, 1:00rec, 1:30hmp, 1:30rec, 2:00hmp, 2:00rec, 5:00min z2), 5:00 cool down
Tues - 2,400 meter swam (no rests)
Wed - 60min z2 bike, followed by 20 min z2 brick
Thurs - 2,400 meter swim (no rests)
Fri - 20 min bike with 5x (15sed sprint, 15sec recovery), 8 mile z2 run
Sat - 55 mile bike, z3 on climbs, z2 rest of ride

The plan focuses on biking and the swim focus is only on maintaining endurance since I hate swim drills.

I'm thinking of adding a recovery week for the third week like this:
Sun - rest
Mon - 45min z2 run
Tue - 1,900 meter swim (:30 sec rest every 400 meters)
Wed - rest
Thurs - 1 hr z2 ride
Fri - 1 hr z2 run
Sat - 40 mile z2 bike

And then just repeating these three weeks until I figure out what race I'm actually training for.

I'm new at tri, so I know you experienced 70.3 and 140.6 folks are probably thinking "Do more...55 mile is all you're doing?" This is kind of the most my schedule will allow based on my slowness (Hey I'm 60 yo and still increasing my fitness and speed)

So for what time my schedule allows, realizing I only like actually doing the swimming/biking/running and I want to continue to increase my fitness while not getting injured (I have not had an injury since I restarted training in 2015 after 30 years of no training), how does this look for slowly increasing fitness for a 70.3?

No need to put peaking in quotes, peaking is peaking.

Things that jump out to me:

2400m straight is not really beneficial. It helps if you're unsure you can cover the distance without stopping, but otherwise you're better served with some structured respeats.

Running at open half marathon pace is probably faster than necessary and will put more stress into your legs than is ideal. Longer intervals of HIM pace is probably more useful.

There's a lot of z2 bike and vo2 intervals, but not much in between. Maybe try some more riding close to FTP (or at least above z2) in structured intervals.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
Quote Reply
Re: What training to do now? [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the input.

For swimming, should I have one swim with short intervals (like 50m or 100m) and one with longer (like 400m)? I basically have one hour swim work outs and am not fast.

I'm not sure I understand about the bike. Being new at this I don't know what type of workout is in the middle. Do you mean something like longer intervals (10 minutes) at lower z3?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should read this thread

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in your age group.

Swimming 2x a week is ok for extremely experienced swimmers but that's just barely maintaining swim fitness. I feel like I need to swim at least 7,500-10,000 yards a week to get ready for a HIM. You want to come out of the water feeling fresh, not tired, and you don't get there swimming 2 times a week. You should a) get some swim instruction and b) ideally, join a masters group and/or swim at least 3-4 times a week. Try to not let more than 2 days go by between swims.

Slogging through 2400 meters straight is not efficient use of your time. You would be better served working on technique and speed with intervals in the 25-200 meter range (predominantly focusing on the lower end of that range). The only time you need to do longer intervals is when you get fairly close to your race date. Even then, I would break up the 2400 into something like 12x200 or 6x400 to dial in your pacing. Do you do any kick sets? Kick sets work the core and help you maintain a better body position in the water.

Bike. My rule of thumb for minimum per week distance training for a HIM is 100-120 miles. That 100-120 miles is usually broken down as 60-90 minutes (Tue/Thurs) and 3-4 hours Sat. I ride those at decent effort level...not much zone 2 during the week and a mixture of intensities on the long ride.

Run. At this stage, I would keep all your runs easy. You don't want to sabotage your efforts to build volume in the other 2 areas by adding too much intensity.

Rest days...what are those? Seriously, if you're planning things out correctly, managing your efforts and getting enough sleep, you should be able to do something everyday.
Quote Reply
Re: What training to do now? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are definitely in different leagues, and I'm okay with that. You must have missed my message about my schedule and time available for training. Including changing, showering afterwards and driving to an appropriate place for my training, it leaves me about an 60-75 mins per day, with a little extra on Friday's and a 3 to 3.5 hours on Saturday. 10,000y swimming would take me over 3 hours a week of swimming time. 120 miles would take over 7 hours of biking time. That leaves about an hour a week for running.

I'm comfortable swimming, although I may not be fast. I don't find swimming 2,400m @ 2 - 2:10 pace tiring or boring. My only goal for the swim is to finish without being tired. Since I'm just a rookie-beginner, I have a lot of improvement I can gain in all three disciplines.

From everything I've read, when a beginner, the most gains in the first year (or two or three) are first in the bike, then the run and then the swim. So, that's kind of what I focused on. I started training at the beginning of the year. At the beginning of the year, my goal was to finish in the 8.5 hour cut off. That's 1hr for the swim, 4 hours for the bike and 3 hours for the run, plus trans. For Augusta, as I've improved, my goals were 45min for the swim, 3.5 hours for the bike and 2:45 for the run. I'd be thrilled to break 7.5 hours as first tri.

When and if I ever get serious, I can look at adding more time to my training - and removing the rest days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great time to invest and create a long term sustainable plan for training and future performance/ enjoyment. This amount of time is something that doesn't come around all that often and a great opportunity to get all your ducks in a row and make sure what you're doing is working for you.

I wouldn't be looking at peaking for a certain point at the moment. In fact, my suggestion from April was to deliberately lose fitness and let the body heal etc. for maybe even a couple of months with any activities being firmly outside of swim/bike/run (very chilled coffee rides ok or non-road riding fine) so that the body is more responsive to the training stimulus going forward again. Many have become quite stale to the training process after years of similar training plans.

(Although in this regard I appreciate you're more of a beginner and therefore can use this time to really start from the ground up).

My attitude towards it is to be ready with a very high level of robust 'fitness' across a number of measures, for the beginning of May next year so that you can be ready for anything and everything that is available that you might want to race. That's plenty of time to work on a number of areas as well that will make a big difference to your racing.

If some small local run or whatever events do come up early in the year, then they'll be great to incorporate into the training period, but not going to be counted upon.

Once we get to May, the level of 'fitness' that has been attained will mean it is 'easy' to shortly peak for whatever races are available over the following months and be in great race shape at short notice - and over a period where you might want to race quite frequently if the possibilities come up.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: What training to do now? [FtStri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input.

It looks like what my son and I are going to do is plan on Galveston in Nov, realizing that it's unlikely. I'll use the next 14 weeks to continue to steadily increase fitness and start tapering a couple of weeks out if the event is still scheduled and the long range weather forecast looks reasonable (I don't want my first tri to be in 30f, raining and windy). If they don't cancel, we'll register a week or so out.

If they cancel it (as we expect), I'll figure out a new maintenance plan.

Quote Reply