Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What should I expect from a FIST / retul fitting?
Quote | Reply
Hey folks - I could use some help.

I am on a road bike now and just completed my first half. Now its time to splurge on a tri bike. I want to buy used but I want to buy right. Reading posts by Jordan and others convinced me that I need to start with a good fitting.

My question to you: what should I expect from a good fitting? Before you answer, remember that I am going to have a fitting before I buy a bike.

My thoughts?
- A set of measurements / coordinates that define my perfect bike, including stack and reach is slowtwitch parlance.
- A set of recommended bike brands, models and sizes. Also, a list of brands that are not optimal for my body type / position.
- A guarantee of sorts that once I build / buy my bike, they will set up my bike for me at no additional charge.

Does this seem reasonable and on par with what is typically offered? I would hope that after a fitting, I would have a specific set of bikes to look for - (e.g., a cervelo p2 in a 56 or a scott plasma 2 ltd in a 58, etc.)

Thanks,
Mike

You need to talk to Todd Carver from retul. I believe his email is Todd(at)retul.com. I went to Colorado and got fit by Todd. He provides excellent service, a great fit, and everything else you'd expect. I personally ride a felt da. Todd also sells felt and other brands. Todd can take your measurements and then ship you a bike set up to fit you.

After being fit I was amazed at how comfortable my bike was. I really can't recommend him enough. Tell him Chris Thornham from Vegas sent you. I just saw him at interbike last week.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: What should I expect from a FIST / retul fitting? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a local fitter - if I could make it out there, i would.

Quote Reply
Re: What should I expect from a FIST / retul fitting? [shackmantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Retul fit (by Todd) and I was very satisfied- they do a great job.

A few comments to your questions:
- My fit session was on an existing bike and took about 90 minutes. Getting a fit on a 'mule' is one session
and coming back with a bike is another time commitment so I would expect a higher price for doing it that way
(which I agree is the best way to go about it)

- Measuring your basic coordinate should be fairly quick - the time consuming part is balancing position with power
with comfort which can only be done with your final bike and components. You circle around a bit like:
Aero bars move in 2 mm, seat goes back 1mm, now your toes are going to sleep,
need to adjust cleat or shim your foot...now the aero bars feel funny ...

- Bike shops and fitters will be pre-disposed to the brands they carry...I wouldn't expect a perfectly objective opinion
from anybody that sells bikes. Be prepared to do you homework -or post your coordinates on Slowtwich and you will
get several brilliant answers, several credible but completely wrong answers, and advice that, even before you have a bike,
your seat is too high.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply