Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What matters more .. amount of carbs or glucose:fructose ratio ?
Quote | Reply
I eat a lot when I ride (>100g / hour)

but, I’m not really close to the right ratios of the different carbs I see talked about in other threads.

Does this matter?

What’s the benefit of going from something like 0.5:1 to swapping to the 1:1 - 1: 0.8 ratios ?

Is it the amount of carbs matters most, and if your gut can handle it, get them however you can?
Quote Reply
Re: What matters more .. amount of carbs or glucose:fructose ratio ? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If carb consumption is low enough to consume it, doesn't matter. But the ceiling is higher for 1:1. With 100g/hr, you might already be around the limit (possibly even a bit over) for 0.5:1.
Quote Reply
Re: What matters more .. amount of carbs or glucose:fructose ratio ? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already consume a lot, and I like my mix.

But wondering if there’s any advantage to keeping same total carbs and adjusting ratios.

I doubt I can consume many more total carbs - I’m typically 130-150g/hour
Quote Reply
Re: What matters more .. amount of carbs or glucose:fructose ratio ? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total carb intake matters more than glucose:fructose ratio, by a lot. The glucose:fructose ratio optimization problem is imperative for most folks to get anywhere near your carb intake rates. If I were you, I wouldn't change a thing.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: What matters more .. amount of carbs or glucose:fructose ratio ? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what I suspected

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: What matters more .. amount of carbs or glucose:fructose ratio ? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Total carb intake matters more than glucose:fructose ratio, by a lot. The glucose:fructose ratio optimization problem is imperative for most folks to get anywhere near your carb intake rates. If I were you, I wouldn't change a thing.

Just attaching my name to this worthwhile advice! ;)

There's not much special* about carb ratios beyond the fact that it can push up an upper ceiling for carb intake / oxidation.

If you are not having any issues with absorption (GI Distress, Bloating, etc) then you're likely fine.

*There may be nuances- but they likely matter less in the overall scheme. E.g. fructose results in more metabolic thermogenesis than glucose.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply