Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is your meal plan 1-2days before an IM and on race
Quote | Reply
Morning?
Quote Reply
Re: What is your meal plan 1-2days before an IM and on race [triterp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing out of the ordinary, except I try not to eat too heavy of a dinner the night before. That being said, I had a MASSIVE dinner at Appleby's the night before IMCDA in 2009 and set an IM PR the next day. :)
Race morning, a bowl of cereal and a banana. That's it...same as every other day.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is your meal plan 1-2days before an IM and on race [triterp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm mainly a strong swimmer with 10 years under my belt of competitive racing and a few days before big races is straight up carbo loading with pasta for dinner and wheats in the morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My plan for most races in the last 10 yrs has been:

Large-ish dinner, relatively heavy on carbs (and fiber if possible), two nights before race morning.

Day before race, eat about as normal, but avoid high fiber foods; take in a decent amount of caffeine to, um, promote expulsion of solid waste (sorry, probably TMI), and drink lots of water.

Sushi for dinner the night before the race.

Race day breakfast is toast, banana, small cup of coffee.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your meal plan 1-2days before an IM and on race [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the ideas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go with a late lunch (3ish?) and just a bit of light snacking on something not too heavy (e.g. pretzels, bread, low fat cookies but nothing spicy or with lots of fat). If the lunch/snacks are not salty, I will make sure I get salt in another way. I spend the early evening just resting/stretching & making sure all is set for the next day. For the morning, I go with a normal to light breakfast (3 english muffins or a bagel with PB & jelly) with lots of water & some electroyltes. I usually don't take any more calories until I get on the bike.

I don't like the carbo loading or heavy dinner approach as I feel too bloated to relax & stretch. I haven't had any low-energy feeling feelings until I get on the run (but that's likely just normal &/or related to bike nutrition).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as always. Three B's. Burritos, burgers, BBQ. Lots of rice the week of. I avoid fiber.

Morning of, 4 cans of ensure, banana, bagel 3 hrs before start. Sip sports drink until swim start.

A more entertaining post would be what you eat after your IM.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Eat well the days before the race. I avoid all fiber the day before and the morning of the race. I don't want any unexpected or unwanted flatulence or worse coming to haunt me on the run. I get up very early the morning of the race and have a full on breakfast. You will need the calories that day. And early enough to evacuate my colon, if you get the drift. Maybe even twice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've cooked a pasta meal the night before the race for my fiance's last two most important races (IM Malaysia 2009, Tauranga HIM 2011) and he won his AG for both races (qualified for Kona in Malaysia and qualified for 2011 World's in Tauranga). It's now a bit of a mock good luck charm so will be doing it in November for the World Long Distance Champs in LV!

Carbo loading is the way to go - though I'd suggest you stay away from creamy pasta dishes. Stick to tomato based sauces. Stick with white pasta rather than wholegrain - too much fibre.
Last edited by: Alex Genie: Aug 2, 11 20:45
Quote Reply