Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is your favorite quick meal?
Quote | Reply
So I actually went grocery shopping and want to cook a lot more. I usually go to chipotle or get indian food but want to kep it healtier. So like many of you guys, I work, then train, then make dinner. i would like to know what is your favorite quick meal, I don't like fish, seafood, raw tomatoes or boiled eggs:-) I am looking for good ideas! thanks
Last edited by: Marisol: Oct 31, 05 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite quick meal? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh and I forgot... smartasscoach, I don't need your "cook the spagu and open the can of tomato sauce" receipe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tuna Taco
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite quick meal: You need some cooked chicken before hand or it aint so quick.

Cook some noodles, usually fettucine(sp), drain throw in some olive oil, garlic powder, parmessan cheese and the chicken. Done. probably 15 minutes and can be 3 minutes if you precook the noodles.

Quote | Reply
Stir fry - you can use any combination of fresh veggies, meat, tofu and it is quick and easy.

One of my new favorites:

Microwave a sweet potato 4 min on high.

Chop up a chicken cutlet and stir fry with red and green bell pepper. Cut up the sweet potato and add. Add Trader Joes Green Curry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
oh and I forgot... smartasscoach, I don't need your "cook the spagu and open the can of tomato sauce" receipe!
But that is the best quick meal! ;-)

Technique sets the upper limit to where your fitness will take you...
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite quick meal? [sedi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well I am looking for NEW ideas:-) I get tired of spagu with tomato sauce unlike the rest of the portuguese who can eat that for lunch and dinner everyday. after el paso camp, it took me a month to eat spagu again:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything in salad form. I'll start with a base of romaine or baby spinach, and then throw in anything and everything. Example:
-Fresh green beans
-Snap peas
-Chopped tomato
-Tuna fish (or the chicken-in-a-can that is similar to tuna)
-Brown rice

Example 2:
-Carrots
-Cucumber
-Brown rice
-Black beans/tomato sauce/spices
-Corn

What I usually end up doing is having the basic salad ingredients, adding a second vegetable (something cooked), a low GI carb source, and some lean protein. Leftovers work great. Canned tuna or chicken are nice if you don't want to have to cook meat. I have been doing the rice and beans a lot lately simply because they're cheap and taste good. I end up eating out of a big salad bowl- it looks like a huge amount of food, but it is my entire meal just piled up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest getting a nice heavy cast iron wok. You can throw just about anything in it, and it cooks increadibly fast (10 minutes).

Chicken, Steak, and Tofu all work well in them. I like to add some chicken or tofu, soy sauce, onion, garlic, ginger, mushrooms, sesame seeds, red/yellow/orange pepper. I really like it with dried Thai seasoning but there are some great pre-mixed jars of different varieties at the store. Sometimes I just buy two or three types that I haven't tried, you never know. Yum! Place on a bed of rice noodles.

Edit: Oh and if you really want to indulge, add a little coconut milk!

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: jtaylor1024: Oct 31, 05 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dinner last night:

- boil a quarter of water.

- Add to a bowl with couscous

- While the couscous is absorbing the water, in a pan add olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic.

- Fry the garlic until it gold-like

- Add the couscous and fry it briefly.

There ya go. I call it Couscous Mediterranean :-p

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: mc sac: Oct 31, 05 18:24
Re: What is your favorite quick meal? [SRQ_3sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With an electric burner, it takes at least that long to get the water boiling for the noodles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything wrapped in a corn tortilla.

Microwave an egg = 1 minute

Then nuke a tortilla w/ some cheese on it= 20 seconds

Throw the egg and some salsa on top and voila! Dinner in less than two minutes. Bonus points if you make a little salad to go with it. It's good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Boca burger or garden burgers make good tortilla fillers too.

My other fave that does require a little more cooking: bean and turkey tacos. Brown a package of ground all white meat turkey, add a can of drained black beans and some taco seasoning, throw it in a tortilla. Yum! It takes about 15 minutes prepare and I always have leftovers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spring greens w/Newman's Own light raspberry walnut viniagrette dressing,

White Wave Thai-flavor tofu with (already cooked) brown rice and microwaved-in-the-bag fresh broccoli and cauliflower,

fruit for dessert.

Or easier still--take-out from your local natural foods store, like Whole Foods Market.

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite quick meal? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How cooked is that egg after one minute in the microwave? I either scramble or hard boil eggs, don't like over easy eggs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you cook Indian food well, it is very healthy. Its just the crap you get in North America that is laden with sat fats. Try Bengali food or South Indian stuff and it is pretty good. Hey, I have 5% body fat, so something must be right.

Make a large pot of daal or Channa on the weekend and you have the base for your meals for the rest of the week. Have a salad on the side and throw in some fresh fish and you have the perfect meal for a busy triathlete :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brown rice, black beans, (turkey) sausage, salsa

cook the rice till done, add black beans and sausage and salsa. Voila!

sprinkle with a bit of low fat cheese and you have what I like to call commando chili in under 20 min. Low fat and filling and a staple of my diet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone.. I don't like tuna but like your ideas. I can take up to 20-30 to cook a real meal as well. some ideas for that would be great. Tonight, I made:

Mixed 1/2 of reduced fat mayo with 1tbsp of honey dijon and fresh parmesan, pour oven chicken breast, cooked 20 min at 400. also Put asparagus spinkled with salt/pepper and olive oil, cook 5 min at 400. i thought that was great and it looked and tasted like a real meal :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What is your favorite quick meal? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I scramble the egg before I cook it, and it is solid within 60 seconds. I hate runny eggs. I guess it would depend a bit on the strength of your micro though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baby spinach

bleau cheese crumbled up

grapefruit and oranges (can be had canned in juice, works perfect)

vinagrette

never underestimate the noodles and pesto route, or noodles with olive oil, parm, garlic, and crushed red pepper (posted already, minor modification and I use farfalle/bowtie or angel hair)

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinoa makes a good meal base and cooks really quickly. You can do it in a rice cooker or on the stove top. It has 10 grams of protein per 1/2 cup! It's good as a substitute for rice or pasta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George my buddy 'the grill' for my meat, steak, chicken, salmon steaks

add some risoto, brown rice, or scallop potatoes (which i get ready baked at local market) for carbs

and either a ceaser salad, steamed brochali or aspragas flovour with raw flax or olive oil salt and pepper

Ready in 20 minutes max.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is "quinoa"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kasha is good, too.

Susan
Quote Reply