Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports?
Quote | Reply
In swimming there is the long standing challenge of swimming 100x100's. Done on 1:30/100 it takes 2.5 hours.

Thoughts on what the equivalent workout would be in:

Running
Cycling (Indoor/Outdoor)
Rowing
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running's a bit different (shorter timewise) due to all the pounding, but 40x400 comes to mind for track workouts.

For cycling, the closest "repeats" challenge is probably everesting.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a workout - but running 24.12 km on the 24th of December is a thing.

Or December calendar with 1 km on the 1st, 2 km on the 2nd.... or "just" doing every distance from 1-24 km between the 1st and the 24th.

Cycling could be everesting or some local crazy loop - breaking 200 miles in one ride.

I friend of mine ran 10 km starting every 4 hours for 24 hours = 60 km

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a HS swim coach that still gives this classic workout to my kids....I offer the following.

Whatever workout is x times more than your normal workout. For my team the 100x100s is about 35% longer than our normal practice. But you do have to build in the monotony of the workout. If you average 3000 yards per swim workout then you would need to more than triple your normal workout.

So for me...For running I think you need to be on a track. So if you usually run 6 miles on the road (and you are the 3000 yard athlete) you need to do something like 18 miles in half mile repeats. And take out any kind of scenery. Bc you have to mimic the black line somehow 😀

The big key (and I know I'm going too much into this) is HOW are you swimming the 100 100s. Is it all easy pace free? IM? Mixed up? Fins? I think that also makes a big difference in the comparison...bc I can make the 100 100s a set from hell for my team....or one that is boring and relatively easy.
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the 40x400, but everesting is in a completely different category for sure! 100x100 is just 10km of swimming, and probably takes most reasonable triathletes between 2-4 hours.

Everesting takes like 10+ hours for pretty much everyone (except those pro cyclists going for the record!)
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10km swim = marathon, so running a marathon in distance would be similar, 400s x 100 is about right and should finish same time frame. but beat you up much more.

for cycling since, 50km hour record is close to half marathon record, a 100km would sound right... 100 1k repeats
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo. 10k can be easy, or very very hard. My sophomore year in high school, the 10k New Year’s Day practice was hard for me, and we just did 100x100 on 100 seconds (1:40). By the next year I had made huge gains in swimming, and we did the same set. I (and a few others) ended up doing probably half of them on 1:20-1:15, and it felt easy. However, the following year we did an actual hard practice that just added up to 10k.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40 x 400 intervals running on a track and 100 x 1k intervals on a bike seem within the same ballpark as swimming's 100 x 100 yds workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run would be 100x400m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In cycling I would say the 100km time trial
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the idea is the marathon distance, you've got your run down!

For bike......not sure. If the run marathon record is right at 2hrs. For an average joe I'd say the 50 mi ITT. It's a standard British distance time trial for cycling.

Air gets a lot thicker the faster you go so somebody doing it at 30mph will "only" finish a 50mi ITT 20min faster than somebody doing 25mph. Run pacing is linear with time. If you're half the runner as Eliud, you'll take twice as long to do your marathon.

So, for the bike. I think 50mi ITT fits OK.

We have no such thing anywhere near me in the US, but in the spring I'm going to take my TT fitness and give it a shot. Just want to crack 2 hours. With a FAIR loop route. Not some one direction British TT or roaring tailwind draft pack triathlon route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, there is zero cycling equivalent to 100x100m swim or 100x400m at the running track. Both of these workouts are very challenging if you want to hold a pace time. You just cannot break down cycling this way, because there is zero technique and you can cruise. If you went for rowing erg it would be something like100x400m if you are lightweight and 100x500m if you are heavyweight.

Cycling should not even be part of this discussion (maybe track cycling on a pace time, but road no way). I would probably make running 105.5x400m (105 400s and one 200) just so it is a proper running marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for cycling you could do 24 x 100m elevation gain. I did circa 18 x 100m on my 18th birthday (on a 2.77km hill at only 3.2% average which was just short of 100m each loop - wanted to use a steeper hill just over 100m gain but weather and tractors having destroyed the road put pay to that) and it was a great challenge, and making it 24 would be kinda cool and I'd say equivalent to the swimming challenge, may take longer to do but you get a good rest on each descent. Far more doable than everesting but still a feat for most of us worthy of a few mince pies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for sprint orienteering - a 10 km course which has 100 control points.
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
For running I think you need to be on a track. So if you usually run 6 miles on the road (and you are the 3000 yard athlete) you need to do something like 18 miles in half mile repeats. And take out any kind of scenery. Bc you have to mimic the black line somehow 😀

If you could get onto an abandoned airport runway ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For rowing (on the erg) my favourite would be the hour of power. Go for 18k without blowing up at a steady SR. For whatever reason 22 spm was my magic number.

Anything past an hour on the erg was hard to stay interested, although this was in the days before netflix/etc. All I got to do was stare at the wall lol.

On water workouts were different due to turning/course limitations.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
for sprint orienteering - a 10 km course which has 100 control points.

That's not a sport

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:

The big key (and I know I'm going too much into this) is HOW are you swimming the 100 100s. Is it all easy pace free? IM? Mixed up? Fins? I think that also makes a big difference in the comparison...bc I can make the 100 100s a set from hell for my team....or one that is boring and relatively easy.

Truth.

My HS coach had a handful of workouts that made appearances every year.

1000 warm up; 16 x 500; 1000 down was one of them. Wasn't that bad if he didn't set the 500 times too harsh - throw in a pull buoy for some of them and you could get in the zone and just cruise. 10km and I'd end up tired and hungry but basically fine.

The 8 on 8:00 wrecked me every time. 8 x 200 where each interval started 8:00 apart, but you had to swim every one like it was your A race. With warm up and cool down the entire workout was only about 3000m but it was gruesome, especially if some of them were IM.
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
By the way, there is zero cycling equivalent to 100x100m swim or 100x400m at the running track. Both of these workouts are very challenging if you want to hold a pace time. You just cannot break down cycling this way, because there is zero technique and you can cruise. If you went for rowing erg it would be something like100x400m if you are lightweight and 100x500m if you are heavyweight.

Cycling should not even be part of this discussion (maybe track cycling on a pace time, but road no way). I would probably make running 105.5x400m (105 400s and one 200) just so it is a proper running marathon.

why all triathletes who stink on the bike should get a fixed gear :) ... instead of buying upgrades to make them coast faster. velodromes are built to be 250-500m to make it easy to count to a 1k distance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not at all agree that a 10k swim is the equivalent of running a marathon. I know people call a 10k swim a "swim marathon" but I think it's too short.

FWIW, I did 101 x 100 this morning (scm). That was actually my first time doing that set. I definitely picked soft intervals - I did 80 on 1:45, kicked one, and did 20 of them on 1:40 (excepting a couple of them not on 1:40 kicking breaststroke when my calves felt on the verge of cramping). That was way easier than running a marathon.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that seems bonkers! for a triathlete. for a pure runner. for anyone.

i remember 40x400 was the mythical workout from Once A Runner and seems like it would be the same ballpark as swimming's 100x100's workout. but, maybe that's just me ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
that seems bonkers! for a triathlete. for a pure runner. for anyone.

i remember 40x400 was the mythical workout from Once A Runner and seems like it would be the same ballpark as swimming's 100x100's workout. but, maybe that's just me ;)

105.5 x 400m on the track (an exact running marathon) should be totally doable, just like 100x100m swimming is doable, but you can't run the 400m at interval pace, you just jog at marathon pace, but like for 100x100m you don't do it at your open 100m pace....more like your open 1500m pace per 100m plus rest which then averages to slightly slower than your continuous 10km race pace.

I have been training for 25x400IM on 8 minutes (3:20 target) and on my birthday 2 months ago, did 14x400m IM at that pace with no shave but a fast suit and most importantly no one else to draft (totally solo). I am supposed to do this 10k on Sunday, but they changed pool set up to LCM so the target changed to 3:30 for the entire workout, not 3:20, but a lockdown just got announced so no pools starting on Thursday for a month (bummer). It was going to be my only "event" for 2021 after the Dubai70.3 in Feb, but like the rest of the year, looks like a right off with another lockdown. Oh well!
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saweet....you got it in early! Here in town we have a big group doing 100x100's, 100x75's and 100x50's on 1:30 send off tomorrow AM! I'm aiming to do half of them as IM without pulling on the lane lines on the backstroke this year;)

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Saweet....you got it in early! Here in town we have a big group doing 100x100's, 100x75's and 100x50's on 1:30 send off tomorrow AM! I'm aiming to do half of them as IM without pulling on the lane lines on the backstroke this year;)

Yeah, my pool is closed tomorrow and I was ready to do it. 6k Monday, 10.1k yesterday, 7.2k today and now two days to absorb the volume.
Have fun! Let me know how it goes.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What is workout equivalent of swimming 100x100's in other sports? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guys and the master's I coach are doing it on the 31st. So you did 80 on the 1:45 and 20 on the 1:40, did you vary the set besides kicking one of them. IE- fins, pull, toys, etc?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next