Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is the longest straight swim set you do?
Quote | Reply
I try to swim at least 3-4 times per week and of those workouts, I usually swim 2-3 from a triathlete's swim book (about 3000 meters in length each) and the other is a straight swim with not much of any intervals. For instance today I did a straight 1500 long course before I stopped.

What is the longest straight swim set (in a pool) you have done or is consistently incorporated into your weekly training?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a mile straight swim once every 4-5 swim workouts. Not for any real reason, just a good way to get in and out quick and still feel like I did something.

I also do 1,000 yard swims to start workouts all the time. I'm not a very good swimmer so might not be the best input. I just find doing one long set makes the yards go by faster.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's just an example of one of my straight swim sets:

500Free-100Back-25Fly-400Fr-100Bk-25Fly-300Fr-100Bk-25Fly-200Fr-100Bk-25Fly-100Fr-100Bk-25Fly-100Kick-25Fly-100Bk-100Fr-25Fly-100Bk-200Fr-25Fly-100Bk-300Fr-25Fly-100Bk-400Fr-25Fly-100Bk-500Fr

this straight swim gives you 4350yrds.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that my yardage is up, I like doing the IM distance non-stop maybe once or twice a month. Bilateral breathe, aerobic, and watch the improvement in time. I also take the 1000 yd interval times to check on consistency. I think 90% of the people/coaches out there would probably disapprove of this workout (short intervals, keep form up etc.) but I find it fun and usually do it on a day that I am looking forward to the long swim. Of course, I also get to do in in mid-afternoon when I usually have an entire lane to myself.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a great swimmer. Go totally by my IM workouts,which is all straight swims. Last years IM tim 1:07:50 hoping for a 1:05 or less this year(with my own wetsuit T1)will do a 5500 next week as longest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always warm up with 1000, and I train for sprint and Oly only.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warm up was probably the longest, or some drill sets than might get to 1200 but they usually had short rests say :05 or :10, unless we were doing 1k repeats. I rarely swam anything longer than 800m when doing 1.5k tri's or the 1500m. There is no point in teaching yourself to swim slow. anyone can do that. Intervals make you fast.
just my .02 as former swimmer and swim coach

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 21, 04 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once, and only once, when I was swimming in college, I swam 10,000 yards. It was actually at a reasonably good pace, given the distance, around 1:07/100 yards.

It's probably not a bad idea to swim 4,000 to 5,000 every so often, as long as you can do it without compromising your form, because it gives you so much confidence in a shorter race.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm training about 3,000 yards per workout total since school is killing me right now. Last year in college we would open up swim practice with 1,000-2,000 yards straight swimming pretty regularly, but we were also swimming about 14-16,000 yards each day. I was a mid-distance swimmer so I didn't do any of the crazy sets, but I know the distance guys would do 3x1650 race pace pretty regularly, and occasionally did 3x3,3000 yards. The most we ever did was 3,000 straight long course meters all out at the beginning of the season from which we were supposed to get a target pace for training in our sets of 100s. However, in high school my coach used to have us swim 5,000 yards straight once every season.

However, during training for IM USA in 2001 and 2002, I tried to get a swim of about 2,000 straight every 2 weeks or so, and I did a few 1-1.5 mile open water swims, but never swam close to the IM distance straight, just the usual sets of 100s, 200s, and 200s, and occasional 400s LCM. I think that strategy was fairly productive, as I felt great during the swim but missed the lead break each time and finished in 52 minutes both years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in Jan and Feb I ran a swim training camp for my elite athletes where we finished with two days as:

Day 1: 10,000m am, 5,000m pm. Day 2: 15,000m am. Even coaching workouts that long is tiring :-)

Generally I don't do workouts that long regularly...

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was more so wondering about straight swims, ie jump in and swim and don't stop until 2000, or 3000, or whatever. Straight swim in a pool.

It depends on what mood I'm in but I did 1500 on Friday and I think I want to try something like 3000 this week? Boring? Good workout? What do you think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, in that case then it'd be generally 3000 which would be the longest straight swim in the pool. Other long aerobic sets would be 3 x 1000 (Descending 1-3), 2 x 1500 (1 pull, 2 swim), or 2000 swim, 1000 pull, 500 swim, or 4 x 800 Desc 1-2. I like to use 3km time trial pace in the pool as the base time for aerobic endurance sets like the above ones. Going too much slower than that is less useful IMO. As far as beign a good workout - sure, especially for IM swims. Many ag'ers and masters programs mostly do short intervals, so doing some longer steady swims is an important part of a solid program and is more specific to triathlon swimming. Boring is part of it - think of them as a good opportunity to practise maintaining focus.

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My usual Friday workout is a 1500 yard time trial. It's a good way to test how my swim fitness is going. Unfortunatley my times seem to be slipping of late as my bike and run workouts intensify.

I usually do one straight 4000 yard workout 1.5 weeks before an ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 2 IM events. Before each one I made sure I fit in 2 or 3 straight swims of 3 miles. Which is all the training I did for the IM swim.

BTW - that would be way more mileage then I swim in a whole season of tri's when I'm not doing an IM event. I swim.....without lying...about 7 times per year. And most of those swims are races.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longest straight swim set.

4000yds, once a week

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do three swims each week. One is an intervals set, one is an extended endurance workout (e.g., 3x1500, 10x500, etc.), the third is an hour straight swim...just to see how far I can go. Currently my PR this year is 4150.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [Oregondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think that unless you have a bit of background in swimming, anything over 800m on a regular basis is a waste of time. you can actually get pretty damned fit just from swimming 100-200m intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was never around for one of those 100x100 days a lot of swimmers talk about. Longest set I think we ever did was 75x75 on 75 (1:15)- physically is was a relatively easy interval, even if you were doing stroke for good chunks of it. The point of the set was more mental toughness than anything. I can remember getting pretty excited that we were allowed to swim the next 5x75 butterfly instead of freestyle because it would relieve the boredom. After a while, it would have been exciting to get to swim a couple of them trudgeon crawl while carrying a diving brick and using a band around the ankles.

And that pool had one of those digital pace clocks that counded repetitions for you, so you definitely did them all.

Longest these days is a modified fish burn set- short course meters:

5x100 on 1:40
4x200 on 3:20
3x300 on 5:00
2x400 on 6:40
1x500

total 3400M

(I can remember trying to make that set short course yards on 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4:30 and as fast as you had energy left to do back in college days)
Quote Reply
Re: What is the longest straight swim set you do? [rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once coached a guy like you - he just didn't have time to fit in any swim training. None. But he went to IMLP and still swam ~1.20! Not too bad...

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive done a couple of 100 km weeks for swimming. heh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longest I ever do is 600 yards free non-stop. That is incorporated into a 3000+ yard workout.

Just swam 28:50 at CaliMan 1/2, so I'm pretty had with my swim training. I have no desire and can think of no reason to swim longer than 1000 yards straight. Shorter faster sets seem much more effective in the pool. Very little rest in between sets though.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 2 IM's and swam them in 1:18 and 1:16.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.5 miles.......open water. I do this at least once per week, along with my other swim workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't stand straight swim sets, so I don't do them. My only continuous long swims are in races. I really don't think it negatively affects my Ironman swim time though. I try to get in some 5000 yd workouts before IM and that seems adequate. I rarely swim more than 600 yds continuously unless it's an easy 1000 warm-up set. Sometimes the rest on my main sets is pretty short though, so it's not too far off a continuous swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training for a 1/2 IM, in the 4-6 weeks before the race I'll do a 1x2500 at 7:50 per 500 every Fri. It is a pretty easy pace, but if I can handle these with no problem I'll make almost 30' in the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next