Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is the best tubular tire?
Quote | Reply

I just got a used set of zipp 404 to try out but I do not know anything about tubular tires. I was riding Michelin pro race chinches and they seemed to work great. I do not think Michelin makes a tubular tire so I do not know what to get. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Oh yah the wheel set is 650c.

Thanks
Tim
Last edited by: uberchurch: Apr 23, 04 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [uberchurch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the darkside newbie tubular guy.

What's the best tubular tire? - that's kind of like asking what is the saddle or best kind of car.

Judgeing from the previous posts on this site - I would say the popular maker of tubies is TUFO. I sure hope so, because I have 2 brand new Tufo's on the way from my dealer.

You will also have to learn how to glue those tubies onto your rim. check out this site for glueing how-to and other good info. http://www.nimble.net/.../tubular_advice.html

One of the posters here used to sign-off with a statement like "real racers ride tubulars", or something like that.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the motion that Tufo's are great tires. I have the S3 Lites on my HED's.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have the S3 Lites "

Just switched over from Conti's. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other poster. Ask a bunch of different people and you'll probably get a bunch of different answers. People here seem to like tofu tires. My LBS recommended Conti Competitions so that's what I'm running on my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
People here seem to like tofu tires.

LOL. If you get a flat, you can take a break on the roadside and eat your Tofu's :)

FWIW: I also have Tufo S3 Lites on my race wheels and love them.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. If you get a flat, you can take a break on the roadside and eat your Tofu's :)

Do they taste better with a little GU mixed in? Is this why everyone is switching from Conti?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo S3lites. The only tire that's never flatted on me in 7 years of riding and racing.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Continental Competitions with a Sprinter for a spare (2 spares for longer races).

----->Trent
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used Conti Comp GP's now for 18 years and only had one flat. No, I haven't used the same set all those years, I switch them out regularily when they show signs of wear.

I think you'll also find that the majority of pro triathletes that are not getting free tires from a sponsor also ride Conti Comp GP's.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried Contis, Vittorias and Tufos. Tufos are my first choice.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use the 19mm or 21mm version?

I remember when those tires were relatively inexpensive two years ago. Now they are over $50 each. Bummer....

Thanks,

Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the best tubular is the one that doesn't go flat right before the start gun goes off.
otherwise try tufo or vittoria

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What is the best tubular tire? [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>LOL. If you get a flat, you can take a break on the roadside and eat your Tofu's :)<<

Bah! Don't you have better things to do than picking on someone that's dyslexic? :P
Quote Reply