Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is the best MP3 player
Quote | Reply
I have used a 64mb Rio sport that worked great, IE big buttins easily used by reaching back in jersey pocket, AAA battery life was crappy but it was easily controlled and very weather resistant. small capacity was about 1.5 hours at 64k/sec rec rate.

The small capacity drove me to an IRIVER 256mb good for about 5 hours at the same recording rate rate. AA battery life is very good. The bummer is that the controls are very small and require actually taking it out of my pocket to make changes.

So, who has some good recomendations?

Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iRiver makes great products, as you know. I have the iFP-899 - 1 GB, small/light, armband and beltclip, rubberized, plays mp3 and wma and holds any kind of file as a backup thumb in a pinch. Software is intuitive. Doesn't skip a lick while running (is flash) unlike my hard drive mp3 player. A great product, no brainer purchase imo. I did a bunch of research, I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say I am real happy with my iPod shuffle 1Gig. I have the 20Gig iPod, so all the software is the same. The Shuffle is very light and uses flash memory. Simple controls--I can work them through s bike shirt or tri pants even when it is in a baggie (to keep from getting soaked). I also have a US Logic which was great. Only downside, which you may consider an upside, is that the Shuffle is rechargeable, so you have to remember to do that, and some day its rechargeability with end :(
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the 512mb Shuffle for about a week now. I dig it. I put the included lanyard around my neck, put the device in a ziploc bag, and then put that in between my jacket and jersey or under my jersey. I can still hit the right buttons when it's under my jersey if I need to. I am finding that some condensation still gets through the ziploc when the bag is under my jersey, but not in between my jersey and jacket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One consideration is the source of the music. The Dell MP3 players combined with the new pay-per-month Napster make a compelling case against I-tunes and the I-pod. If you have the 10,000 song I-Pod it costs $10,000 to fill it with music. If you have the same storage size Dell MP3 player with Napster I think it can be filled completely with music for well under $400 for all the files.

Usabilty of the Dell MP3's is supposed to be excellent too. I have an I-Pod mini. It's good. It works. Doesn;t want to sync too readily or intuitively with I-tunes though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the iPod shuffle as well. It's fantastic, very easy to recharge and very light and durable. I don't put it in a plastic bag or anything, seems to function fine. I don't sweat much in the chest though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a TuVo from Creation. 256MB, cheap, I don't need the online service as I rip all my CDs. I use it all the time on the trainer and when running. Love it. Have run in torrential rains with it on my belt, no problems. Takes 1 AAA battery, I bought two of the metal hydride rechargables and I go thru one in 2 weeks of training (about). Love it, best gift my hubby got me (after my HRM ;-)).

Maybe this year he'll get me a track bike... hee hee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with the Napster service because it is $15 a month I believe so you have to keep paying just to keep your songs.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a little research on the different players. The dell dj (20gb) will not work with napster monthly service. You need the dell pocket dj.
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is assuming you've got no songs starting with.

i've ripped almost all my cd's that i have lying around (hundreds) and now have about 8000 songs.

assuming you're starting from scratch...that might be a little tougher though.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Dell Pocket DJ and am very happy with it. I download audible books and can fit many, many chapters on it without even coming close to maxing out the memory. The battery life is good, recharges very quickly, and very easy to use. I decided to get the Dell because I upgraded our home computers to Dell Laptops and have been very happy with their products and service.

Quote | Reply
Depends what your requirements are. I love my ipod shuffle for it's size and convenience when at the gym or to use for warm-ups at races. I use the mini ipod in the car with a Griffin road trip and for long journeys and holidays. Althougth I had the usual reservations about downloading music before doing so I have found itunes to be relatively simple and have even started making up my own playlists!

I bought the sports housing for the shuffle but since I rarely use it for running I have yet to test it.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey julian or anyone else - does the shuffle have enough memory to download audio-books? also, how long does the battery last before needing a recharge, and how long do they estimate the shelf-life of the battery itself? is the whole unit toast when the battery loses its chargeability?

thanks!

ps. mp3 downloaders don't forget your lowly local library - you might be surprised at the size of their cd collection!
Last edited by: johnthesavage: Mar 24, 05 0:57
Quote Reply
Re: What is the best MP3 player [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John, in response to your questions:

does the shuffle have enough memory to download audio-books? I have the 1Gb shuffle and have yet to fill it completely, I don't know the size of audio books so cannot comment. also, how long does the battery last before needing a recharge I have yet to experience it's running down, and how long do they estimate the shelf-life of the battery itself? is the whole unit toast when the battery loses its chargeability? Not too sure about the life of the battery of if it is replaceable. I would suggest you go to apple.com and go to one of the ipod forums to ask the question.

Sorry I can't help more but thought it more rude not to answer to all.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply